It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

Nestelle HB User
Sore, peeling underarms? :(

This usually only occurs in summer, and started last summer, and has now come back.
My armpits become very red and sore, and then start to peel. Now the entire underarm area, but certain 'patches' of my armpits. This usually happens after I use underarm anti-perspirant/deoderant.
I stopped using it, because I thought it was the cause, but now the skin has gotten red and sore again. It's uncomfortable and very embarrassing.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Sore, peeling underarms? :(

Nestelle,
I have a daughter who has the same problem! Her underarms become very red, (usually in the hot months) and raw looking. I have her try to keep them dry, that helps the best for her. She uses the Gold Bond powder. When her underarms just begin to look red/sore she starts using it and keeps up with it daily. I think it's the medicated talc that does the trick. Usually within a couple of days they start to clear up. You can also find the powder in a store brand, bascially same thing. At least here you can. Good luck.
P.S. Some people are allergic to deodorants. I [I]think[/I] it's mainly the anti-perspirant and not the deodorant part - or visa versa. Maybe someone else knows more about that.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
(female)

Nestelle HB User

I'm not sure if it's available here, but I'll have to keep my eyes open.
Thank you

Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
(female)

radididi HB User

I have this problem as well. I noticed that, after I used a gilette brand deodorant, my arm pits became extremely itchy. I scratched until it became raw and scabbed. I was probably allergic to the deodorant. I am also prone to eczema. My advice is to stop using the deodorant (as you already did) and wash with mild soap daily. It's essential to keep it clean and dry, as the skin has become irritated and broken. This makes your armpit skin prone to fungal and bacterial infections. If your skin is itchy and red even after stopping using the deodorant, I suggest you look for an anti fungal cream and apply it on your armpits as directed. You said your armpits are the most sore during hot, summer months? Fungi thrive in wet, hot environments.

After I started using an anti-fungal cream, my armpits hardly ever itched again. I have some slight discoloration on my armpits due to constantly scratching, but it is fading.

You can find anti-fungal cream in any drug store.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
(female)

Nestelle HB User

I have stopped using the deoderant for a while now, and my skin still itches a little, and occasionally still flakes, and it's still red.
Thank you very much, I'll have to give that a try.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
(female)

Rissa7 HB User

[QUOTE=Nestelle;2808106]This usually only occurs in summer, and started last summer, and has now come back.
My armpits become very red and sore, and then start to peel. Now the entire underarm area, but certain 'patches' of my armpits. This usually happens after I use underarm anti-perspirant/deoderant.
I stopped using it, because I thought it was the cause, but now the skin has gotten red and sore again. It's uncomfortable and very embarrassing.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time...[/QUOTE]
Hi there Nestelle, I am no doctor thats why I am on this site. But my partner has been getting a nasty rash under one of his arm pits for about two weeks now. I suggested that he stop using his new deodourant and see how it goes, but it is still there. I am now going to advise him to go to the doctor as I am starting to get a little worried due to the fact that a flat mate of mine had underarm rashes and for months he had all sorts of different creams and treatments perscribed from his doctor only to find out later on that he had cancer of the glands under his arms. He died two years later after many attempts at cemotheraphy. I dont want to scare you at all but if my flatmate had this information when the rash first appeard I am certain that he would be alive today. Please please see a doctor if your rash does not improve.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
(female)

hillo15321532 HB User

talk to a doctor it might not be what you think it is.

Closed Thread