It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

caeli HB User
Unhappy dry,flaky patches on back on forearms and knuckles! help!

Help! for weeks now, I have this very dry, flaky rash-like outbreak at the back of my forearms (above the elbows and all the way to my shoulders) They are not really conspicuous but its really dry and sometimes its raw and it hurts, and its disturbing, too. I don't know what this is! is this an allergy? I've also developed red rashes on my thighs, directly above the knee. Recently, I've also developed flaking around my knuckles and they appear to be red.

Is this some sort of allergy? The rashes on my forearms and thighs have been going on for weeks already.

Please help me!

Last edited by caeli; 02-21-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: dry,flaky patches on back on forearms and knuckles! help!

Caeli,
What kind of shower soap do you use? I don't know if what I had is the same as what you had but, around 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was disgusted with my arms and getting disgusted with the rest of my body because, it was getting almost like a piece of sandpaper wrapped around an alligator. So nasty that if I could just take my skin off and hang it in my closet, I would have! Heheh! Anyway, I decided to change my soap from Lever Body Wash to Dove CreamOil and, there was a decent change the very first day I used it. I think, if memory serves, it took less than a week for my skin to get completely better. It not only feels 100% better, but, it looks better and, I dont want to take it off and put it on a hanger and tuck it into the back of my closet. It is possible that your skin just needs a good dose of moisture. My elbows were getting itchy, I could see flakes, bumps and just general nastiness all over the upper part of the backs of my arms and it seemed like it was spreading.

I don't know what area of the country (or what country even) you live in but, winter can be very harsh on your skin. Even in milder areas like the South (which is where I live). You should compensate by using more moisturizing products. That itching feeling may be what medical professionals are calling winter skin. I would get it along the back of my shoulders after I showered but, since I have been using the Dove CreamOil body wash, I haven't had any of that itchy crud anywhere. Even my legs, which are pretty much always sort of dry looking (even during the summer) look better than they have since I was in my mid-20's.

Anyway, start with a new body wash and maybe use some body lotion after you get out of the shower. If it doesn't clear up in a couple weeks (or sooner), then make a visit with your dermatologist to see if he or she can provide better insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

caeli HB User

hello hating glasses,

Thanks for your reply! I have been using St.Ives whip silk shower gel(I am not sure if that's the correct name) I just moved to Knoxville, TN from Germany almost 2 months ago and my rashes actually started when I started using all these new American cosmetic products and body wash. I will change my body wash and see if maybe that is the cause. However, weirdly enough, it also crossed my mind that it can be my lotion, too. I use Johnson's moisturizing oil. I really hope that this will improve some of the dryness.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

-caeli

Old 02-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Caeli,
Welcome to the U.S.!
As far as our products, that could be the problem. It could also be our water. Some people have hard water and some have soft water. I couldn't really tell you what that means but, different people react differently to each as far as their skin and hair is concerned. I grew up in Ohio where, I think my parents have soft water and, when I moved to Georgia my skin took a beating and has never really recovered from it. When I visit my parents, I really don't need to use any moisturizers on my face but, as soon as I get back home to Georgia, my skin gets flaky again and I usually have to use a little more moisturizer than normal until it settles back down a bit. I have Rosacea also which, I never had until about 6 or less months after I moved to Georgia.

So, anyway, it could be any number of things that is causing you problems. Products, the water or even our food. I hate to say it but, it may just take some trial and error on your part to find what causes your problems and what works well for you! I hope that you solve it soon!

Again, welcome to America! Take care and keep in touch!

Closed Thread