It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
(male)

boylin HB User
Flakey Peeling Skin on my Nose

Hi, i am a male, i have flakey peeling skin in the creases of my nose. It is very embarrasing, is there any way to stop this, it has been happening for about 1 year now. I have tried scrubbing it but it goes red and gets worse, when i have a shower, about 5 mins after my nose will be even worse. Please help. Thanks Michael

Last edited by moderator2; 03-17-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: do not post your age

Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Flakey Pealing Skin on my Nose

Have you tried lotion at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
(male)

boylin HB User
Re: Flakey Pealing Skin on my Nose

What lotion should i try, ny nose is actually greasey.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Flakey Peeling Skin on my Nose

You can try pretty much any lotion. I use a natural one by a brand called nature's gate. I use the oatmeal kind. I get it from a health store. Since your nose is pretty dry, it may take while for any lotion to work.

Last edited by Alagaesia; 03-18-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

I can't say this is true for everyone but, I can tell you what I have experienced. I used to have really flakey skin on several areas of my face. I started using a face masque every other day. Masques help to draw out impurities deep inside and on the surface of your pores to help keep your face cleaner. The one I use is Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque. I put it on and let it dry for 15 mintues then I remove it in the shower and wash my face like I normally would. Since I have been using the masque, I am nearly flake free on my face. I still have one or two stubburn areas. But, they aren't even noticeable anymore.

Anyway, you might look into getting a face masque to try. The one I mentioned is really inexpensive and, if you put it into a search engine, you can see what the container looks like and probably find out where they sell it in your area. I get mine from Eckerd for around $4.

I hope this helps!
Take care and keep in touch!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
(male)

Wayne D HB User

Mine starts on the sides of my nose as scaly skin but when the scales flake off the skin underneath is very red. It looks really nasty. Don't scrub, that only exposes more of the nasty looking red skin. Use a good lotion immediately after you shower and anytime you wash your face with soap. After you get this outbreak under control, use lotion everyday to keep it from coming back. I don't know how bad yours is now, it may take a couple of weeks to get it under control, but once you do, it's not that hard to keep it under control. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
(female)

earthlinked HB User

Hi Boylin - I have what sounds like the same problem. In my case I have rather large pores in the outer creases next to my nostrils, and the skin tends to flake there. And as I've gotten older, overall the skin on my face tends to flake a bit, especially on my nose and chin. Not only that, but I have a small spot in the middle of my nose that is continually dry and constantly flakes and peels. (My dermatologist biopsied it and it is not cancerous.) I got a prescription cream to use on it when needed.

HOWEVER, I found what works best for me for the flaking problem quite by accident. It's a prescription medication called keralytic gel. (You can also buy it OTC, but the formulation isn't strong enough to do the job...you need the 6% salicylic acid strength.) It's actually a medication that is meant for use on rough, dry skin on the soles of your feet. One day, in desperation during a bad bout of acne/itchy bumps on my face, I tried putting it all over my face before bedtime. I reasoned that if I could keep my skin continually peeling, and therefore more oxygenated, this might kill the bacteria that causes acne. This stuff worked like a charm...but the interesting thing I found was that it also completely eliminated the flaking problem.

I only use it when I see my skin is starting to flake, once a day before bedtime...problem solved. And it is completely non-irritating to the skin.

Also, for all you CYST ACNE sufferers out there, I want to let you know that this stuff works miracles. Whenever I start to get one of those red knots under the skin that turns into cyst acne (which will not come to a head and drain like other pimples), I just apply this stuff, once aday. Usually the cyst never forms at all...it goes completely away within a day or so. If it does form, it's very mild and disappears within a few days. I don't know how this works, but it does. I used to have to get a shot into the cyst to kill it, but not anymore. I had to beg my dermatologist for a prescription, because it isn't intended for the face, but when I convinced her it really is the only thing that works for me, she gave me the prescription.

Good luck!

Closed Thread