It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

Yama HB User
Temperature induced Uticaria

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I was diagnosed with uticaria which I know is a big word for "hives". My doctor prescribed me some cortizone pills which I have been taking since yesterday and honestly they don't seem to do much. He told me to start a journal so I can try to identify my "trigger". I am 99% convinced that my trigger is temperature induced as I seem to suffer an outbreak when I am coming from outside (cold) to inside (warm-hot). What worries me is that although I did not grow up in a cold environment, this was not my first winter here but it just hit me now. (I am 26). I am wondering if this will eventually go away, and if this means that the affects will be reversed for me in the summer time. Like will I suffer outbreaks when I go from inside to outside.

Thank you to anyone who replies.

Mark

Old 03-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Temperature induced Uticaria

I'm not familiar with the word "Uticaria" but I do know about hives. I broke out about 23 years ago on my hands after taking sulfa for a UTI. I'm not kidding, [I]every[/I] day for almost a year I had hives somewhere on my body. I lived on benedryl! My father said sulfa sometimes has a reaction with foods to people allergic to it and to watch my diet. He suggested dairy products first as they are the most common. Long story short, eggs. Once I quit eating anything with egg I didn't break out anymore! A few years later I ate something containing egg, (unaware of it) and was fine. My dad said I didn't let my body get rid of the sulfa/egg combo as I ate something everyday that probably contained egg. I'm fine now. No egg reactions. Just know I can't take sulfa drugs.
Sorry for running on, but have you taken any meds recently? New foods? Sprays, etc? Hives usually come from the inside out. Not topical.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
(male)

Yama HB User

Thanks for the reply. I cannot think of anything new that I have eaten. I would like to see an allergist to do an allergy test. It's just that I get a reaction like this almost everyday no matter what I eat.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

If you get this every day, yes, you need to find the culprit. You don't necessarily have to eat something new to be allergic to it. Many times allergies can start up for no reason with things we've used for years. I would suggest eating a bland diet for a few days, kinda like when infants first start eating solids. I know it sounds like a headache, but it would save lots if you could figure this out on your own first.
Are your hives concentrated to one area or do they spread? Mine spread; one day on my hands, the next my feet or legs or back! The final straw was when I literally had hives everywhere on my body, head to toe! I looked like I was 200 years old!
Another thing? Have you been under any excess stress? Just another idea. I know my father's psoriasis increased when he was working and stressed. Now that he's retired, it's relatively mild. Maybe the same thing cause hives.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

apmb HB User

I've had "cold hives" for about 40 years. My skin would itch even in temps of 60 degrees if the wind was blowing. It was miserable! Recently my husband was put on a very high protein diet and I was enjoying those snacks, too. Suddenly I discovered my allergy to cold air or cold water was gone! I can now go for morning walks without bundling up and almost covering my face in 32 degree weather. What a relief after all these years. Apparently my hives were caused by not having enough protein in my diet! I hope this might help someone else suffering from this malady. I drink Ensure, milk and buttermilk and eat cheese, meat, cottage cheese, cooked dried beans. A diet of this kind means I also have to be sure to have enough bulk in my diet because it can cause constipation.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi Mark, I was first dx as having chronic idiopathic urticaria. Doctors could find no reason for it and I have it everyday and they come in big wheals that grow in size and join together to form bigger ones. 2 years later, I read about cold urticaria and realise that I also have that because I broke out whenever I go somewhere cold. I live in the tropicals and weather is warm and sunny usually. But I am not free from the triggers of cold! So don't think that summer means trigger-free time!

If you swim, please do not swim alone as this may trigger a serious anaphylactic reaction and is life-threatening. Ask your dr for an epi-pen which will help with the swelling, hives, breathing until you can get to the hospital.

Shopping centres are a big problem in my place, because of the air-con; it seems everywhere public indoors has air-con and that triggers my cold urt. Rainy days are bad for me too.

Some cold urt sufferers develops hives when they come in direct contact with cold or upon getting into cold environment while some gets the hives on re-warming of the body after in a cold environment.

Anyone can develop urticaria or chronic urticaria in any point of their life even though they have no history of any allergies when young. I got this in my teens and have this for 8 years. I had a period where I got mild 'remission' where I have very few attacks. But that period didn't last long and it's back.

Taking antihistamines can help control the hives. Some might need 1 while others need a combination of antihistamines to find good relieve and control of their urticaria. Other than medication, avoiding your trigger is important. Ever since I found out cold was my trigger, I bring a jacket and extra antihistamines along when I head outdoors. However sometimes even with the jacket, I still do break out.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by CheerAngel; 11-08-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
(female)

tulips7272 HB User

I also have cold induced chronic urticaria, but that is only one of several triggers. A diet has helped me considerably, but not completely. Unfortunately it is complicated, not like the lady who was allergic to antibiotics and was cured by cutting out meat from animals given antibiotics.
My blood studies show high reaction to many molds, so one part of mold avoidance was a mold reduction diet, which I found on the internet. It is truly a pain and very time consuming. Essentially only fresh meat, fruits and vegetables hand peeled and freshly cooked, plus eggs and a few fresh dairy products. See the diet for how mold gets on and into food. (the silos are a big problem, etc.)
Also, once I began to get better, I found that eating essentially any processed foods would reliably cause a breakout. Living without chocolate is awful. I am not sure what it is about the processed foods. All of them contain some kind of preservative whether it is on the package labeling or not. There are reasons for mold to be in all of them to some degree. And nearly all have long term contact with plastics.
Figuring this out is a monumental task. It could even be the chlorine in the drinking water. Good luck.
Tulips

Closed Thread