It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

Lynne45 HB User
Adhesive Allergy

I am highly allergic to the adhesive in bandaids. It causes welts, itching, blisters, and oozing. I had outpatient surgery 2 days ago and told the nurses about my allergy. They stuck 3 electrodes on me during my surgery and now I have donut shaped areas of tiny raised blisters where the electrodes were which have gotten worse each day. There is an area of redness extending about 4-5 inches beyond the blisters. I've been using cortisone cream and taking Benadryl. What else can I do? It's driving me crazy? Why can't they come up with an adhesive that does not cause reactions?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
(female)

hhsix HB User
Re: Adhesive Allergy

I also seem to have an allergy to adhesives...HUGE red areas w/ large blisters, and it sticks to me like, well, adhesive, I suppose, lol. I can't get the buggers off without tearing a layer of skin off with it. YOWCH!
I'm on the duragesic patch now & have tried putting it just about everywhere except the palms of my hands & bottoms of my feet. It doesn't seem to matter where I put it, same reaction. I've tried benadryl, both pills & cream, no luck.
I've had great pain relief with these patches, so haven't wanted to say anything to my doctor, but now I have these brownish/purpley scars in the shape of the corners of the patches.

Anyone else had a problem like this? Thoughts? Can anyone recommend an alternative that I can talk about w/my doctor?

Last edited by hhsix; 07-08-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

have you guys always had these allergies? I ask this because I was never allergic to adhesives up until a few years ago.. now specific types give me large welts (certain fabric bandaids I can use and also for some reason I don't have the reactions when I put bandaids on my fingers)

Old 07-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
(female)

Lynne45 HB User

I developed an allergy to adhesive (and to Bacitracin ointment) about 3 years ago after having several skin biopsies over a few years, for which I would have to wear band-aids for about 4 weeks following each biopsy. I guess that caused me to become more sensitive to adhesive and Bacitracin. They both cause the same reaction. I don't seem to notice a problem with band-aids on my fingers either, I guess maybe because there aren't pores like the rest of the skin? I would like to know if there is any adhesive that doesn't cause allergic reaction.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

that's the same thing that started my reactions.. I had some skin biopsies done and when the bandage finally came off I had a huge welt that was aweful. I was asking about the timeline because strangely I know several other people who recently within the last few years started having reactions to adhesives... I half wonder if the companies have changed the compounds to cause this to happen (not on purpose). I haven't found any specific long lasting adhesives that don't give reactions. There is a paper tape that you can buy that has and allergy-free adhesive that you can use in conjunction with gauze pads. I had to use that when I had an injury to my arm. You can request the paper tape at hospitals for procedures.. but in your case there probably was no alternative for the electrodes.. I remember them leaving marks on my chest afterwards when I had to have an EKG and heart monitor done last year. I dried them up using a combination of cleaning the area with alcohol before putting benadryl cream on them.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
(female)

Lynne45 HB User

There is one adhesive product that doesn't seem to bother me. It is Curad Scar Therapy. I used them to treat a scar on my arm a couple of years ago and didn't have a reaction, so I'm thinking that perhaps the next time I need a dressing on something, I can cut the Curad Scar Therapy pads into strips and tape a gauze pad to my skin. You're right about the paper tape in that it doesn't cause a reaction, but it doesn't stick very well either. Bandage manufacturers really need to look into a hypo-allergenic adhesive.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
(female)

ryanIRISHIII HB User

I can empathize with all of you. I had a hernia repair done on August 25th. I specifically told the people in the prep room that I was allergic to latex. The male nurse said ,"Latex or adhesive" I told him that even band aids cause my skin to blister and hurt. He said, "Well then it is adhesive NOT latex" When I woke up, I had a six by two inch adhesive bandage across my incision. The strange part was it was a WEEK later before I had the bad reaction. I had blistered skin that was red, terribly itchy and oozing. It was only in the same two by six inch area of the bandage, but I figured it had to be something else since it was a week from surgery. I could not stand the itching and the pain. When I got fully awake, I began to think that maybe it was a yeast infection since it looked like one I have seen on skin. I started applying Monistat and with in three days, it was clearing up. When I saw my surgeon that week, he told me I was not thinking right. He said, "It is obviously contact dermatitis and it is NOT a yeast infection" When I told him about the Monistat, he said,"Baby lotion would have worked just as well" So, I bought cortaid, but now it is all itchy again. I do not know how to insist that my medical people only use paper tape on me. I was a bit annoyed because I did tell them that I have a reaction to adhesive> I have had five major operations but this is the first time, I have had such a bad reaction to the bandage.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
(female)

Julie24 HB User

yes i had same problem im 24 and i had carpel tunnel surgery after taking the bandaid off i realized i was allergic to the adheasive. It left a square ring exactly where the bandaid was. It got all red and itchy and left big blisters all around the incision. I went to the doctor and he gave me and ointment to treat it with called betaderm. 1% dosage. It works but it takes about 4-5 weeks to clear up. Makes surgery HELL... I have such a bad allergic reaction i have to get a Medical Alert Bracelet.... I can put bandaids on my fingers too but they never stay on for more than a day so the reaction doesn't have time to do anything. My pharamasist said the companies are using chemicals now to make bandaids cheaper and its causing people to have reactions. I cant use any bandaids with adheasive i have to use gauze and a sling to keep it on.... My heart goes out to anyone with this problem. Its not very nice to deal with at all.....Make the Hospital and doctors listen to you. Its you that has to deal with your skin not them...Get Medical Alert Bracelet. Have the pharmacy test the ingrediants in the bandaids your allergic too its there job and duty...

Closed Thread