It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

ZIPADEEDOODAH HB User
Two questions: Perioral dermatitis and ganglion cyst in hand

Hi everyone,

I have two questions. First, I have perioral dermatitis on my chin and right below my eye, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any home remedies. I am allergic to minocycline, which happens to be the #1 cure for it. I went on 2 months of Cephalexin antibiotic plus topical gel and that didn't work either. I think I'm running out of options, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. This condition has made me very self conscious -- and I've had it for over 6 months now.

Second question. Has anyone had a ganglion cyst removed? I have one that is about an inch in diameter in my hand, and I am toying with the idea of having it taken out. It doesn't move, so it looks like it's attached to a tendon or something like that. Does anyone know what the healing time is for this type of surgery.

Thanks!
- Z

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ladypepper HB User
Re: Two questions: Perioral dermatitis and ganglion cyst in hand

I can't help you with the first question but I did have a ganglion cyst removed from my left wrist about 20+ years ago. I had it drained several times and it always returned. I finally gave in to have it removed.

Everything went fine for the most part. But you have to realize that although it will not return in the same spot - there is a high chance another will take it's place. I was never told that and I thought it came back... only to be told that it was not the same one, just another one very close.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
(male)

russelldvk HB User

[QUOTE=Ladypepper;3042174]I can't help you with the first question but I did have a ganglion cyst removed from my left wrist about 20+ years ago. I had it drained several times and it always returned. I finally gave in to have it removed.

Everything went fine for the most part. But you have to realize that although it will not return in the same spot - there is a high chance another will take it's place. I was never told that and I thought it came back... only to be told that it was not the same one, just another one very close.[/QUOTE]
Can you tell me what pain meds you were given after having your G-cyst removed? I have bad reactions to Morphine and am immune to Demeral. Please let me know since I am having mine removed on Friday Morning.
Thank you. I am a bit scared of all this.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ladypepper HB User

Well - I was first given codiene and that is when I realized that I have a very bad reaction to it. So I was switched to something called Talwin. It was a pretty potent pain reliever and worked very well for me. I only took it for a couple days though. I try to get off any RX pain meds as soon as I can.

Don't be too scared, I was about 18 or so when I had it done. I don't remember it being too bad at all. I do remember waking up during the surgery and trying to move my arms to scratch my face. And of course I could not move an inch - and then I thought my arm was gone! lol But all turned out fine.

Wishing you a safe, successful surgery and a quick recovery!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi - I had a gangloin cyst crop up on the back of my left hand about a year ago. I read up on them on the internet and decided to give it at least two weeks (which is the norm) for it to go away on it's own before seeking treatment. Like clock work - it started getting smaller and at the end of two weeks it went away. I'm certain it was a gangloin cyst as a R.N. friend gets them all the time and looked at mine and said it was definetly a gangloin.

If it hadn't gone away at the end of two weeks I was going to go to the doctor - they are really scarey looking things.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

ZIPADEEDOODAH HB User

I'm debating on having my cyst removed. I know I could have it drained, but that'll probably be a quick fix and it'll only come right back (so I've heard). I'm definitely scared of having the surgery, but the cyst has been getting bigger and bigger...probably a little over an inch in diameter now, and pretty noticable. I'm also worried about the healing time -- I've seen anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I need to type every day, so that may cause some problems.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:04 AM   #7
(female)

bgcowl522 HB User

[QUOTE=ZIPADEEDOODAH;3066273]I'm debating on having my cyst removed. I know I could have it drained, but that'll probably be a quick fix and it'll only come right back (so I've heard). I'm definitely scared of having the surgery, but the cyst has been getting bigger and bigger...probably a little over an inch in diameter now, and pretty noticable. I'm also worried about the healing time -- I've seen anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I need to type every day, so that may cause some problems.[/QUOTE]
My sons cyst is very painful- and th Dr says ther is nothing to be done- he is a charity case and I am concerned that he just doesnt want to do it-- he says it cant be drained because the fluid is too thick-- anyone have feedback on that?
b

Old 07-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #8
(female)

bgcowl522 HB User

[QUOTE=bgcowl522;3115647]My sons cyst is very painful- and th Dr says ther is nothing to be done- he is a charity case and I am concerned that he just doesnt want to do it-- he says it cant be drained because the fluid is too thick-- anyone have feedback on that?
b[/QUOTE]

Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Ladypepper HB User

Well I know I had mine drained several times before finally opting for the surgery so I know they can be drained.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
(female)

ZIPADEEDOODAH HB User

What happened with they drained it? I'm terrified of needles, and I know the one they use to drain it is huge. Was it painful?

Closed Thread