It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

marzotto HB User
Exclamation Help identifying a really bad skin condition!!!

Hello, I'm asking help of anyone who may know what this is:

My father has a really bad skin condition that has been present for two years now. It is only on his hands (first only on his fingers now on his palms as well). It doesn't seem to spread anywhere else but his hands. I thought it was some sort of fungus but i really have no clue.

His symptoms:
skin that has become really rough and whitish/yellow in colour.

Skin is very thick looking. It looks like the underside of his fingers and palms are callaused.

cracking flaking and spliting of this infected skin

extremely itchy (although not all the time).

Does anyone know what this could be?? He has gone to a dermatologist before and they gave him some antibiotics but it never really goes away. He can have it go away for quite some time and then i will come back, this time it is dramatically worse.

Any help at all is so greatly appreciated. Mainly I'm curious to know whether you think it is bacterial or caused by something he may be coming into contact with such as a chemical. I really don't know the difference between something internal or external as a cause so if you recognize this at all please share your insight.

Last edited by marzotto; 06-12-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pbj11 HB User
Re: Help identifying a really bad skin condition!!!

Sounds like pompholyx. I've had it for years and after that amount of time it does get heavy callused looking with thick layers of peeling and cracking skin. The photos are somewhat deceptive because often it presents as teeny-tiny micro fluid filled pustules deep under the skin. You can hardly see them in my case. They itch like crazy then go into the peeling, cracking cycle. I've never found anything that works unfortunately. The photos also don't show the heavy callus and peeling parts of this condition. If you find something, do let me know!

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

ginmor HB User
Re: Help identifying a really bad skin condition!!!

Marzotto,

Your description of your father's hands sounds like what I have. I have tried everything. Mine doesn't look as bad as the pompholyx pictures, it is just rough skin that hardens and splits open. The other day I was at GNC and the salesclerk said his mom had the same thing I had and the doctor told her to put Aloe cream on it and wrap it in duck tape and leave taped for a week. He said you can't get it wet. It totally cured it. So I tried it overnight and by morning even the cracks were clearing up. Only thing is...I can't go to work looking like I have robotic fingers so I just do it at night. It's much better but I can tell it's going to come back. Michael's craft store sells white duck tape so you could get that and tape your fingers up. I thought the clerk was pulling my leg but it really cleared it up. You can hardly see it. I just need to be able to keep it on for a week and not get it wet. So...maybe the duck tapes smothers it. I don't know but give it a try and let me know.

Closed Thread