It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

kathryn55555 HB User
Can't stop picking scabs-please help!

How embarrassing! I know it is anxiety and I getting help for that, in the meantime what do I do to to make them look better? I've tried taking showers instead of baths and vitamin E cream and liquid bandages. Anything else work for anybody?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Can't stop picking scabs-please help!

I can't tell you how to help them heal but, I can give you a less expensive way to possibly break your habit. I had a really bad, life long (29 +/-) years habit of biting the insides of my cheeks and lips. So, remembering back when I was younger, I recall hearing that a way to break a bad habit is to use a rubberband around your wrist. You snap it each time you find yourself doing the habit. They say it takes 21 days to break a bad habit. Using this method, it only took me 13 days for me to break a nearly lifelong habit. You will find yourself snapping your wrist quite a bit for the first week (maybe less) but, it starts to taper off until you notice that a day has gone by and you haven't snapped yourself once. It may take a few days to remember to snap yourself but, once you get started, you really notice how often you find yourself picking at your scars.

Anyway, I am sorry I can't help you heal but, you might consider giving the rubberband a shot. It tried remembering on my own not to chew the insides of my cheeks. I tried chewing gum which made my jaw, teeth and gums worse than they already were due to chewing my cheeks. I tried keeping my tongue between my bottom and top teeth to keep myself from chewing but, that didn't work out at all. I tried sucking on straws and suckers to keep my mouth occupied but, well, the candy was not good for the waistline or my teeth and, basically, I was simply replacing one gum damaging chewing action with another gum damaging chewing action. The rubber band was a nice, if not slightly stinging way to remind myself that there are consequences for my bad behavior and if I didn't want to hurt anymore, I needed to stop.

So, I hope that this helps!

Take care and keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
(female)

kathryn55555 HB User

Thanks for your advice! I'll give it a try.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
(female)

amber04 HB User

Hey, I have the same problem..and I have had it since I was a kid. I have horrible scars now because of it. I finally got myself to stop.. I have to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants when I have a scab -- or else I will pick it. But, it helps me forget it is there. Also, think of the scarring it is going to leave...and just tell yourself, "I HAVE CONTROL OF MYSELF" and "my scabs don't have control of me"

It is such a hard habit to break but once one scar turns into two...two turn into 3, and three turn into 12.. You realize you HAVE to stop or you could permanently disfigure yourself.

I have so many scars from this...and now that I have stopped, I am trying to get rid of the scars... which is not an easy feat.

Good luck, ,, and if all else fails, go to counseling. They can help you with "behavior modification".

Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

herringfish HB User

[QUOTE=kathryn55555;3065926]How embarrassing! I know it is anxiety and I getting help for that, in the meantime what do I do to to make them look better? I've tried taking showers instead of baths and vitamin E cream and liquid bandages. Anything else work for anybody?[/QUOTE]

I have been scratching non stop for 3 years.I itch almost all the time. I have created scars and keep sores open and pick scabs and even when I go hours without scratching, I will start to itch and can only control my hands for short periods of time. I feel the itching the minute I wake up in the morning and it continues all day. When I'm at work, I notice it less because I'm distracted by my work. I wear gloves around the house but take them off periodically to do cooking but that leaves me free to scratch again.

I am going to see a derm. my primary care doc recommends. I am hopeful that she can run tests to determine the origin of this horrible issue. I have to cover my arms and legs completely when I go out. I know my children will be horrified if they see my arms and legs. I hope you find some relief and will share it with me when and if you do, and I wil do that same. Herringfish

Old 11-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

minchka HB User

I can't help picking scabs. It wasn't really a problem, until I got acne (i'm 15). Now I have horrible scabs all over my face, and I can't control myself. I don't want to have scars all over my face, and I'm mortified to go anywhere because I have red blotches on my face from the picked scabs. When I read that people need to wear gloves, cut their nails, and do other things just to prevent themselves from picking, I started to cry. I feel like this will be a struggle for the rest of my life, and I don't want a temporary solution. I need help.

Last edited by minchka; 11-16-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Closed Thread