It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
(male)

Doug9 HB User
Generally Rough,red and unhealthy looking skin

Edit: this is about my face, not my body.

Hey guys, my first post here, hoping i can get help here

I am 15 years of age, yet my skin is very Rough,often reddish and can look unhealthy at times.

I use face wipes and occasionally a foam facial wash and wash my face everyday. My skin looks much healthier in the winter when it is cold and goes much whiter, making myself look much more attractive .

So Could any of you suggest any methods or problems it could be caused by, i also have a good diet that consists of many vegetables etc.

please help, its really getting me down

Thanks, ~Doug9~

Last edited by Doug9; 06-30-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to add skin area

Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: Generally Rough,red and unhealthy looking skin

It sounds like you need to use a moisturizer. Also, since it sounds like you are in the sun getting tan, make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep yourself and your skin hydrated. Skin can get sort of rough and leathery from summer time sun exposure and it sort of sounds like that is the case for you. Since you like your skin more pale, perhaps get a high SPF sun block and just lather up before you go outside. That will help you keep you face from getting that rough (leathery) feel during the warm months of the year and, it could help you keep your skin from becoming cancerous.

But, to correct the drying effects of the elements now, get a good moisturizer. I like Ponds Dry Skin Cream. I think that is what it is called. It is in the white container with the blue lid. It isn't greasy, is gentle but effective. My skin tends to get dry really easily so, the fact that the Ponds works well for me speaks volumes. Also, what you use to wash your face may dry it out too. Perhaps try changing the soap you use to something specifically formulated for dry skin. And, get something with a gentle exfoliator. It will say it on the container of whatever you choose whether it exfoliates. That will help to sluff off any dead, dulling skin that shows itself as dry patches or just overall dryness.

I don't recall whether you said you wash your face once or twice a day. If you are washing it twice a day, try only washing once a day and see if that helps. Sometimes, for those of us with a tendency to have dry skin, it is better to wash only once a day.

On the flip side, if you wash once a day, your pores may be clogged and may need to be washed twice a day. Clogged pores can cause dry skin as well. So, whichever way your are washing your face, try either adding or subtracting a cleaning.

You may also consider getting a deep cleaning masque. As I mentioned, clogged pores can manifest themselves in dry, flakey, dull looking skin. The masque that I use is called Queen Helene's Grape Seed Extract. It is inexpensive (about $4) and you can find it in drug stores like CVS, Eckerd and probably Walgreens. I find mine at Eckerd. I use it every other day but, instructions are to use it maybe twice a week. So, if you try it, do it per instructions first.

That is about all I can tell you. Try to stay out of the sun or protect yourself from the sun as it sounds like that is the underlying problem.

Take care and keep in touch! And, I am sorry this was so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
(male)

Doug9 HB User

thanks for the very detailed reply, i will try and find the product, i live in England though and it seems like you live in Usa :P

Old 07-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Doug,
I do live in the US. So, try to find products comparable to what I mentioned. Get a nice thick moisturizing cream. Not a lotion as they tend to be runnier and a bit greasier and they don't seem to penetrate the skin as well...in my experience. There are lots of different masques out and, I am sure you can find something comparable that doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Just try to find something with grape seed extract in it. And, try to find a masque that, once it has hardened onto your face, you should peel it off instead of just washing it off with water and a wash cloth. I believe that is sort of a key factor in a good masque. I was first using one that I had to wash off and, once I switched to a peel off masque, my skin got even better.

Take care and keep in touch!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 AM   #5
(male)

Doug9 HB User

Thanks Cf and hating, i am very happy with what youve posted, thanks allot guys

Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Doug,
I was diagnosed with Rosacea but, I try to stay away from any sort of advice about it these days because, I feel that everyones is different. I have had 3 different dermatologists prescribe 3 different medicines to help treat my Rosacea. But, all of those meds only made me worse. So, basically, I just try to eat properly (not too much of the foods with red sauces or spicey properties). And, given that I have been dealing with Rosacea and other issues with my skin for (8 or 9 years with the Rosacea) most of my life and I am 34, and have only found nearly the perfect blend of cleansing products over the past 3 - 6 months, I do have to say that it is up to you. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. My best advice is to try things. If after a week or two of one product you don't see any improvement, try another. I don't know what your return policies in England are but, we have pretty good return policies here. If you try a product, as long as you return it within 2 weeks to 30 days, you can get your money back. Perhaps ask the store you are making your purchases from, what their return policies are before you buy anything.

Take care and keep in touch!

Closed Thread