It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

blackcatinthesky HB User
Exclamation Extremely itchy mystery rash

Hello,

For the last month and a half I have had a horribly itchy rash. It started on my legs, then moved to knees, thighs, arms, back, butt, neck, hairline, and chest. The most itchy and affected areas are the backs of my elbows, my knees and my "bottom".

I went to 2 different walk in clinics, both gave me various mild prescription cortisone creams which had no effect and the rash continued to spread and dominate. I went to the emergency room and 2 doctors examined me, both stumped. So they sent me straight away to a dermatologist. He and his resident were both also stumped by the mystery rash. He prescribed antihistamines and the strongest steroid cream, and neither medication helped.

Now, the rashs' appearance: actually blisters. Tiny clusters of blisters that pop when scratched. There is no accompanying illness nor fever. I have not changed my habits in any way in the last few months EXCEPT for I started jogging daily last month. I don't know if it has any relation, but that is the only lifestyle change that happened.

I have never had any allergies. However, celiac disease does run in the family as my grandmother and my aunt both have it. The dermatologist took a tissue biopsy suspecting I might have Dermititis Herpetiformis, a rare disease linked to celiac (both involve gluten intolerance). The description and the photos that I have found on the internet match my rash EXACTLY.

While waiting for the test results, I decided to try not eating gluten. I did this for 4 days and in that time I noticed a difference in the itchiness of the rash. It went from a 10 on the scale down to a 5 or 6. Then I got the test results back. "Results not typical of Dermititis Herpetiformis"... in other words it was negative. So now, I am taking 10 days worth (at a very high dosage) of Prednisone oral steroid which the doctor said will kill the rash. Then when its gone, I guess we start the allergy scratch tests.

My questions are these, for anyone willing to listen or help:

- Are these tissue biopsies which check for antibodies in the skin always 100% or is there a chance it is a false negative test result?

- Would sudden physical activity such as jogging for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 2 or 3 weeks straight cause such a rash? (It does not look or sound like heat rash, acne, or *****ly heat descriptions or photos)

- It has already been confirmed these are not bites from insects or mites, but that this is a systemic rash most likely from something I ingested. But I've never experienced something so itchy on 90% of my body, and for such an extended period of time. Does anyone have any other suggestions I should look into?

Your time and suggestions are very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 07-05-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: moved to Skin Problems board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
(female)

strega72 HB User
Red face Re: Extremely itchy mystery rash

[QUOTE=blackcatinthesky;3082182]Hello,

For the last month and a half I have had a horribly itchy rash. It started on my legs, then moved to knees, thighs, arms, back, butt, neck, hairline, and chest. The most itchy and affected areas are the backs of my elbows, my knees and my "bottom".

I went to 2 different walk in clinics, both gave me various mild prescription cortisone creams which had no effect and the rash continued to spread and dominate. I went to the emergency room and 2 doctors examined me, both stumped. So they sent me straight away to a dermatologist. He and his resident were both also stumped by the mystery rash. He prescribed antihistamines and the strongest steroid cream, and neither medication helped.

Now, the rashs' appearance: actually blisters. Tiny clusters of blisters that pop when scratched. There is no accompanying illness nor fever. I have not changed my habits in any way in the last few months EXCEPT for I started jogging daily last month. I don't know if it has any relation, but that is the only lifestyle change that happened.

I have never had any allergies. However, celiac disease does run in the family as my grandmother and my aunt both have it. The dermatologist took a tissue biopsy suspecting I might have Dermititis Herpetiformis, a rare disease linked to celiac (both involve gluten intolerance). The description and the photos that I have found on the internet match my rash EXACTLY.

While waiting for the test results, I decided to try not eating gluten. I did this for 4 days and in that time I noticed a difference in the itchiness of the rash. It went from a 10 on the scale down to a 5 or 6. Then I got the test results back. "Results not typical of Dermititis Herpetiformis"... in other words it was negative. So now, I am taking 10 days worth (at a very high dosage) of Prednisone oral steroid which the doctor said will kill the rash. Then when its gone, I guess we start the allergy scratch tests.

My questions are these, for anyone willing to listen or help:

- Are these tissue biopsies which check for antibodies in the skin always 100% or is there a chance it is a false negative test result?

- Would sudden physical activity such as jogging for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 2 or 3 weeks straight cause such a rash? (It does not look or sound like heat rash, acne, or *****ly heat descriptions or photos)

- It has already been confirmed these are not bites from insects or mites, but that this is a systemic rash most likely from something I ingested. But I've never experienced something so itchy on 90% of my body, and for such an extended period of time. Does anyone have any other suggestions I should look into?

Your time and suggestions are very much appreciated!!

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have the same thing.It came out of nowhere.I just joined this site to find out how to treat it.I went to the er and they said hives possibly caused by stress/They gave me 4 days worth of Prednisone and told me to take benadryl.That was 5 days ago and its still itching me.This feels like hell.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

herringfish HB User
Re: Extremely itchy mystery rash

I started itching four years ago when the blisters you refer to just showed up spontaneously. My allergist said it lookos like poison ivy. I hadn't been exposed to poison ivy, from everything I could remember. I think (memory fails) the blisters finally cleared but returned again the next year, again spontaneously. I had not been outside working in my yard unless I had everything covered up entirely, head to toe. Since that time, the itching (and related scratching) has made my life, my legs, and now my arms, hands and back) a living hell. I have scabs all over my body except for my thighs and my head. I have had no luck in finding someone who can diagnose and treat this.

When consulting a dermatologist, I admitted to the scratching because I began to think of this as a compulsion. She prescribed an itching cream and told me to come baack in two weeks. I have periodiclly managed not to scratch through sheer will but now I look worse than ever. I know that stress is a component and decided that I had to retire to save my sanity (worked for a non profit for 3 years to "give back" and found out the hard way what it's like working for a board that neither appreciates the hard work and contributions that the exec. director makes and does not listen to the very person they believe is such a great executive).

I have large areas of scratched sores now and try very hard not to give in to the itching, but usually do. Sometimes I get up in the morning with a spontaneous blast of itching and burning pretty much all over. A hot shower gives relief but only while in the shower. I was advised by one professional to use cold to calm down the itching and another to use extremely hot water ( as hot as I can stand it for a second or two) to draw out all the histamines and get 6-8 hours relief. It didn't work for me for more than a few minutes.

If you or any one else has any advice, I would appreciate it. I am 62 and this started at age 58. I had previously been taking allergy shorts for asthma and related allergies but quit taking them after a while. I suffer from clinical depression, fatigue (not debilitating) and 50-75 mg Zoloft ( previously took effexor for about 2 years) , Fosamax (10 years), a multi vitamin and 1000 mg calcium daily. I have a pretty good diet.

Last edited by herringfish; 07-08-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
(female)

JaneWoman HB User

Hi --
My 80 yr. old mom has this too for the past 6-8 months!
It is driving her crazy! Dragging her general health down!
She is on steroid shots & cream which only provides slight temporary relief!
She has had every skin test & blood test known to man done -- along with skin biopsies studied at 2 separate labs -- No luck in finding diagnosis or way to slow it down!
She has many symptoms of Celiac's Disease, so she is pressing that with her doctors even though they did 1 or 2 blood tests for that which came back neg.
From what we read about Ceilac's Disease the best way to detect it is to have a biopsy of the small intestine. 3 samples (yes, 3) from different places along that section of intestine must be taken in the hope of finding flattened scillia on the intestinal lining in 1 sample.
So, my Mom is going in for that as soon as she can get scheduled --
I will report the findings here in case it will help you & others.
I am so sorry for your troubles -- You are not alone!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

JaneWoman HB User

Hi , me again

I thought SCILLIA was the word I meant, but it is VILLI --sorry for my poor Latin!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-09-2007 at 04:31 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Closed Thread