It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Cyst or a boil????

Does anyone know the difference between a cyst and a boil? Alos.......what causes people to continue to get them, in the same place?? Is it a bacteria infection or something viral?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

jpeterson33 HB User
Re: Cyst or a boil????

[QUOTE=daisy-duke77;3088232]Does anyone know the difference between a cyst and a boil? Alos.......what causes people to continue to get them, in the same place?? Is it a bacteria infection or something viral?????[/QUOTE]

I dont know much about cysts but i do know about boils. Boils start out looking like pimples but grow much larger, they are verry painful, I have had them in the past and ended up going to the ER to have them lanced. They say that is is a bacterial infection and that you need to stop using anti bacterial soap because it kills both the good and bad. Or at least that is what they told me. Once i changed soaps they seemed to have gone away or at least i havent had one in a long time ( knocking on wood). As far as pain management for boils, there isnt any execept a script from your doctor.
Hope this helps
Jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I would like to know the same thing? I had something on the back of my shoulder that started out like a boil. It was larger lump and was painful. After awhile it went down in size but a small lump still remains. The doctor said it is a cyst and should go away, but it's been about 2 months and it's still with me. I have been massaging it for the last few days hoping that it will break up and disappear!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

I went to the Dr yesterday, and it is a boil. A boil actually has a head and it is painful! Eventually i guess it will break and seep on it's own. I am taking an antibiotic and i hope it clears up soon! this is my 3rd one in the same place in the past 6 months. My dr told me i could have a bacterial infection in my body. She did a blood test to check my thyroid and liver. Boils can be very contagious...............meaning, dont pop them and dont touch it, then touch somewhere else on your body!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

How long do your boils usually last? I tried to squeeze mine, but nothing would come out? It did go down since I got it, but I still have some left. I think the massage is helping?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
(female)

jpeterson33 HB User

[QUOTE=dorri;3093647]How long do your boils usually last? I tried to squeeze mine, but nothing would come out? It did go down since I got it, but I still have some left. I think the massage is helping?[/QUOTE]

Dont try and "pop" them. if they are not ready to be poped then you will break the sack that is holding the infection and it will get bigger and you will have to get it lanced. which sucks. (speaking from experance) the ones that i have had have lasted a week or so and then i have had to have them lanced because i couldnt take the pain.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

Cowgirl24711 HB User

Does anyone know the difference between boils and abscesses, if there is one.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
(female)

jpeterson33 HB User

[QUOTE=Cowgirl24711;3096088]Does anyone know the difference between boils and abscesses, if there is one.[/QUOTE]

There really isnt a differance that i know of

Closed Thread