It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

3sweetpeas HB User
Toddler with Rash around mouth... Spreading

My 2 year old daughter has had a rash around her mouth for months. It began in April as a spot at the corner of her mouth. It got nasty, but didn't really spread. At the DR's advice we went through a bout of treating with antibiotic and antifungal. It didn't really get better. We did some steriod cream. The initial nastiness went away, but the rash has morphed with time. It is now tiny bumps and clusters of bumps all around her mouth, chin and extending up to her nose. She is red and itchy at the base of her nose as well. It fades and worsen on a day to day basis, but it never goes away. The last few days have been especially bad. She now has a few dots on her nose. When last we spoke with the DR she said eczema, but it doesn't look like any pictures of eczema that I have seen. It is more dots than patches of dry skin and seem to be a bit white on the tops and more look like they are sore than itchy. The steroid creams hasn't been working on it, so at the DR's advice we have discontinued use. Right now I am just covering it with Vaseline. It is itchy and is, I believe, giving her problems falling asleep. I have been trying to track down if any foods are bothering her, but I'm not having success... We just arrived home from getting blood drawn for a RAST test. They are testing for corn, milk, nuts, egg, and soy.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of rash? the Dr said that it is only mild, but it's driving us crazy.

I am thinking that maybe this is a reaction to the fresh fruits and veggies that we're eating a lot of now that it is summer... I read some about Oral Allergy Syndrome and wonder if this may be what's going on, though I don't know if that presents in the form of a rash.

Any thoughts on cause would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on treatment! Thanks! I'm more than happy to provide more detials if you have any questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to 3sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
ChrisB1979 (01-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User
Re: Toddler with Rash around mouth... Spreading

Are there any spots IN her mouth? Or white patches?

It almost sounds like thrush, but that would be unusual in a child that old.

My best suggestion is that, if it is some kind of allergy, to limit her diet to 'safe' foods - like rice, oatmeal, etc. If that doesn't clear up the rash, then you can pretty well assume it isn't an allergy. If it does, reintroduce one food at a time, starting with the 'safest' (like apples). If there's no reaction after a day or so, start with another food, progressing until you get to the standard allergens : berries (strawberries in particular), soy and corn.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

emily532 HB User

i have the same symptoms, did u find a cure?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

3sweetpeas HB User

It went away with nystatin as treatment for yeast. It took a few weeks. Hope that helps!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

splinky34 HB User

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]My 15 month old has a similar pimple like rash around his mouth, which I thought was from going from formula to milk but now I think it could be yeast related. I had a bad case of Candida (an intestinal yeast infection) and had a rash from it for years. I just recently discovered an herbal cure that I think I will try on him. It's oil of oregano. You can use it topically or 3 to 4 drops under your tongue. It worked to clear up my rash in a few days, which is remarkable since I have been trying everything under the sun for years! I'll let you know how it works... until then I would just swab it with hydrogen peroxide to keep it clean; I've noticed that helps slightly. Hope this was helpful.

Closed Thread