It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

mufpuf HB User
Angry Shingle Nerve Pain

I was diagnosed with shingles two weeks ago and prescribed Valtrex. The sores never did blister or break open. Now the itching and the nerve pain is almost unbearable. Has anyone found help for the nerve pain? It just makes you want to scream and doesn't let up for one second. This is the most intense pain I have ever felt. Any suggestions will be appreciated. It runs from my right elbow to the tips of my right fingers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
(female)

RG82 HB User
Re: Shingle Nerve Pain

I was diagnosed with Shingles two months ago. I totally know your pain. I had it in my eye and on my face. It was very uncomfortable- however, My eye doc. perscribed Lyrica. This medication gets rid of pain in the nerves. I was originally on Vicoden from the ER doc, but that did not work. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

cheer up HB User

Sorry to hear of your shingles pain/itch. I have had this scourage for nearly 10 months -- it's in a wide band wrapping around from spine to midsection of upper abdomen.

It was so severe the Valtrex only helped minimally and a 7 day course was not enough. I felt like I had bad flu the first two weeks. I needed more Valtrex but failed to ask for an extension. Big mistake. Now I suffer constantly.

The blistering, scabbing, redness, et al, finally disappeared after about 8 weeks -- which is longer than the usual month people speak of. I had tons of pain associated with this and now, months later, have the postherpetic itch for the most part. It is intractable -- and prevents me from wearing my real clothes, i.e., anything that touches the skin in that area. I need clothes by Omar the Tentmaker I am constantly scratching and then that turns to pain/ache. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

I've taken Vicodin, used creams, tried Lyrica, Elavil, etc. Lyrica made me swell up like a blimp and Elavil is horribly constipating. Thanks but no thanks. I must just suffer and hope that some year this thing ends. It might not ever go away, or could disappear overnight. One never knows.

I am 57 and recommend everyone who can possibly get the vaccine they give people at age 60 now (if you don't get shingles first!) get the shot if they've ever had chicken pox. Pharmacists even told me to get the shot at 60 because numerous people get repeated episodes of shingles!!!!! Kill me now..............

Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
(male)

dlrand HB User

I would like to point out, that Zostavax can cause shingles. I was a healthy 64 year old male who received the Zostavax vaccine on 2/5/08. Ten days later, my doctor diagnosed me with "classic shingles". He put me on Valtrex for 7 days and I am still (1 month later) suffering with red spots on my (right) chest, pain in my right arm and shoulder, and severe itching. I notified Merck and my doctor also did! I read Merck's "double blind" studies, and nowhere does it simply say: this vaccine can cause you to contract shingles. I have all the documentation as well as pictures. Please caution anyone who wants to gamble with their health.

Closed Thread