It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

anxiety11 HB User
Unhappy Allergic to the sun?

This summer I started to develop a rash and get itchy when I am out in the sun! Recently I am just itchy on my chest and back mostly! It drives me crazy! Any ideas? b/c all I come up with when I try to search is HIV and Scabies! :'(

Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

253pamelac HB User
Re: Allergic to the sun?

My aunt actually developed what she was told was an allergy to the sun, and she lived in Hawaii! She broke out and was itchy every time she got in the sun, just as you describe. Sunscreen didn't really help. Consequently, she moved to the Idaho mountains. She now has moved back to Oregon. It's not bad if she stays out of the sun-not hard to so in the NW! At least you know you are not crazy and that others suffer from this as well.

Good luck,
Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

PRINCE7HAWK HB User
Red face Re: Allergic to the sun?

I just read your post. I think that I am allergic to the sun to.. I just returned from Aruba last week, and guess what I can't stop itching. The same thing happened last year when I was on a cruise. I am driving myself crazy itching. Can anybody help me? I am taking benadryl every night, because I lay awake itching. I have used every type of skin cream imaginable.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
(female)

sierrabrulee HB User
Re: Allergic to the sun?

Pretty scary to come up with HIV and Scabies. You could just be photosensitive. Disorders like SLE can cause it, certain drugs can cause it, and sometimes it's idiopathic (meaning that it has an unknown cause - sorry). Are you sweating and hot when you get itchy and rashy?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
(female)

Staquisha17 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Allergic to the sun?

I've actually had a long time to deal with the allergy to the sun. It started when I was in second grade and I am now 21. I will go out in the sun for a while and develop hives, which itch uncontrollably and no anti-itch cream helps. Some things I have learned along the way is that benedryl, although its an allergy medicine, may make you more susceptible to the sun, so if you do take it, stay out of the sun or it may make it worse. There are certain cosmetics or lotions or drugs that can make it worse as well. If you go to a search engine and type in allergy to the sun or phototoxicity or photoallergy, you can find some of them. I just recently learned these other terms and am still familiarizing myself with what they are. I never really got any straight forward answers about this fun UV disfunction. I usually get the all famous "stay out of the sun" reply. Its hard to face, but its a true answer. There's a myth that some sunscreens can actually make it worse too, i'm still searching for truths. Sunscreens have never worked for me though. Also I heard that there is a cream that could help out, but just as well, i havent found it. I pray that someday that the medical world will flat out tell us the whole story behind UV allergies without all this mumbo jumbo in between. It does suck not having answers or not being able to be like the other kids who are outside playing beach volleyball. I choose to go outside and join in, although I pay for it later. And I shouldnt do that. Skin sensitivity is said to leave us more prone for skin cancer, so be careful. I'll keep this post updated if I learn or hear anything else! And if anyone knows more, please share!

Closed Thread