It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

lyn75 HB User
untreated abcess=????

I don't know where else to go, I need some input-straight honesty. My friends are shying away, being supportive.

Location-outter thigh
time-noticed a small pea size under skin bump about 1.5yrs ago
Apprx. 1yr ago, red, then eventialy puss. Mainly clear. (as of about 2-3 wks ago, sometimes clear, dead fish like smell. sometimes yellow. And gassy) SORRY for the description.
A week ago, lymph node-groin=pain. By then end of that day, the pain had moved to the inside of leg, and now front of leg. Feels like big bruise.

On tues. this week, went to family doc. He didn't even touch me. Looked at it (which is kinda gross, about 2in diam.) Said it was deep, and that if it's attached to the muscle we're in trouble. What does that mean? Gave me penicillin and sent me to ultrasound.

I"M WORRIED AND STRESSED-should I be?

All i've been reading says, "if left untreated" what's that in time frame?

I'm seeing Doc next thurs.

Any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Even if you type what my friends might not be saying.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

Mossflower HB User
Re: untreated abcess=????

How long have you been on the penicillin? Is it helping?

I've had abscesses before... the nurse had advised me to soak it in warm water/ epsom salt water to try to get the scab off and to get peroxide in there to clean it out. The nurse strongly warned me NOT to squeeze it, lest it rupture INSIDE me Usually if we press on something it will spit something out, like a pimple does. In the case of an abscess, if its filled with pus, you don't want to break it open and enter your body - I THINK that might cause it to go septic, meaning, a body-wide infection. Call your doctor and ask if this isn't clear. I'm not a doc, so I might not be doing a good job explaining it.

He probably sent you to ultrasound to determine if it was a tumor or something else. Did you get the results back?

Yes, you're worried. The good news is that you're being seen by a professional and getting care.

I do not know what the time frame is, but a year seems like a very long time to let an abscess go untreated. I would suggest calling your doctor and having a nurse answer your questions to put your mind at ease. Its free and might help

[QUOTE=lyn75;3330608]I don't know where else to go, I need some input-straight honesty. My friends are shying away, being supportive.

Location-outter thigh
time-noticed a small pea size under skin bump about 1.5yrs ago
Apprx. 1yr ago, red, then eventialy puss. Mainly clear. (as of about 2-3 wks ago, sometimes clear, dead fish like smell. sometimes yellow. And gassy) SORRY for the description.
A week ago, lymph node-groin=pain. By then end of that day, the pain had moved to the inside of leg, and now front of leg. Feels like big bruise.

On tues. this week, went to family doc. He didn't even touch me. Looked at it (which is kinda gross, about 2in diam.) Said it was deep, and that if it's attached to the muscle we're in trouble. What does that mean? Gave me penicillin and sent me to ultrasound.

I"M WORRIED AND STRESSED-should I be?

All i've been reading says, "if left untreated" what's that in time frame?

I'm seeing Doc next thurs.

Any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Even if you type what my friends might not be saying.

Thank you in advance for your time.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

lyn75 HB User
Re: untreated abcess=????

Ty Mossflower,

I'm going in tomorrow for the results of the ultrasound. I think the antibiotics helped. The actual abscess doesn't look much different and there's some bruising around now. But, the good news is that the pain that brought me into the Doc's office last week is gone.

Closed Thread