It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

Amber87 HB User
Unhappy Eczema all over

Hi I'm 20 years old and my eczema was triggered when I was about 14. It started on my stomach under the bellybutton (I'm guessing because of my belts and fitted jeans), and it got worse and bigger, and then it covered all of my arms, it's pretty much been in every place on my body. The rashes come and go, but there's always one somewhere. I've gotten them all over my arms, armpits, neck, hips, legs upper and lower back, chest, like I said, everywhere. And throughout the entire year. It sucks because not only do I get them, but I have hyperpigmentation, so even when it's gone the spots from where the bumps and scratches were stay for years. The rash on my stomach never goes away (I can't really avoid not wearing belts and can't really do anything about the buttons and zippers on my jeans either) and it's the worse area. It doesn't even feel like normal skin anymore. It weeps the most, and flakes off skin constantly, and sometimes the itch is so bad I scratch until I bleed. Regular lotions to keep my skin moisturized doesn't help, since I always have a rash somewhere, it just irritates it and make me scratch more. And I can't stop myself from scratching, if I try not to, the pain from the itch usually puts me in tears. The winter of course dries out my skin and creates rashes randomly, the spring and summer make me sweat which burns my rashes really bad. The only time where the only rash I have is on my stomach is during the fall. Of course with all this my self esteem has crashed, I can never wear a bikini again, and it sucks having to explain over and over to people when I have rashes visible. I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who looks past it.

Anyway, I've tried many ointments, elidel did help but the side effects made me feel like i had the flu 24/7. Another prescribed ointment which I forget the name would help if I would put it on daily, but a lot of times it would irritate the rash right away which would make me scratch it off. Now someone has given me some triamcinlone, which they use on their very very less severe eczema, and I'm wondering if it would help my case? I don't have the insurance or money to go to a doctor to find out for myself, so if anyone could give me some advice it would be great. Sorry for the long message.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

cocoa76 HB Usercocoa76 HB User
Re: Eczema all over

Ive had this for years. Im 31. The worst part was getting in underneath and in my eyelids. Yes inside my eyelids so my eyes were constantly itchy and streaming eyes. After all these years of doctors not understanding and being diagnosed with all kinds .......ends up it is due to a food allergy with me.

I cut out dairy products in everything (inc no biscuits which had dried milk in nor cereal which is made with dried milk). Wow; it made such a huge difference. But never got rid of it completely.

Allergy testing didnt work for me now 8 years on I know its Gluten/Wheat Im allergic too and my eczema went COMPLETELY.

Not saying that this might be the case in your situation but you should give it a go. Really; it could make a huge difference.

Last edited by cocoa76; 12-21-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: didnt complete message before it was accidently posted

Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

Amber87 HB User

wow under your eyelids, that must have been horrible! i hope it never gets there. but thank you for your reply, it gives me some hope that maybe ill find out a direct cause for my eczema so i can try and fix it! thank ya

Old 12-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

Mossflower HB User

Hi there

I used the triamcinlone for a while and it worked pretty well. I recently switched to something else- i cant remember the name... but i get the eczema along my waistline too- right where my pants and belts rub, so I wear a lot of skirts and dresses to work (and my boss just thinks I'm sucking up to look ultra-professional *lol*)

what helped me when I had major outbreaks: epsom salt baths, Aveeno oatmeal baths (or you can get the generic version too), the triamcinlone cream - I used it twice a day and it really helped me.

Aveeno also makes a heavy-duty nighttime lotion in a tube- I get it at wal-mart. It really worked for me- I was doubtful when I bought it because I would wake up all night scratching, scratching constantly scratching and bleed all over my bed linens

What I would suggest is, see if your town has a free clinic or a low-cost clinic. You can try calling the ask-a nurse lines and see if they know of any place or even try calling one of the hospitals or pharmacies. If your income is low, you might qualify for ACCESS medical services. You'd have to go to the local office and apply- i think it takes about a month. I think you can find them under social services/ welfare office.

Eczema was listed as one of the top ten childhood traumas, and I really hope you can get this taken care of so it doesn't follow you into your adult life

Another otc remedy that worked for me to kill the itching was a lotion called 'Mazon' lotion. You can get it through the Vermont Country store, but its expensive. Some flex-125 plans will reimburse you for it though; mine does.

My allergist also told me to stop using soap of any kind in the shower... he suggested Alveeno shower wash. He said soap tends to stay on the skin and exacerbate the eczema. I now use Alveeno and it helped me quite a bit.

If you can find a free clinic, you can ask the doctor for prednisone - that can put a halt to an outbreak its a temporary fix but sometimes it can stave it off for a while.

Good luck

[QUOTE=Amber87;3358020]Hi I'm 20 years old and my eczema was triggered when I was about 14. It started on my stomach under the bellybutton (I'm guessing because of my belts and fitted jeans), and it got worse and bigger, and then it covered all of my arms, it's pretty much been in every place on my body. The rashes come and go, but there's always one somewhere. I've gotten them all over my arms, armpits, neck, hips, legs upper and lower back, chest, like I said, everywhere. And throughout the entire year. It sucks because not only do I get them, but I have hyperpigmentation, so even when it's gone the spots from where the bumps and scratches were stay for years. The rash on my stomach never goes away (I can't really avoid not wearing belts and can't really do anything about the buttons and zippers on my jeans either) and it's the worse area. It doesn't even feel like normal skin anymore. It weeps the most, and flakes off skin constantly, and sometimes the itch is so bad I scratch until I bleed. Regular lotions to keep my skin moisturized doesn't help, since I always have a rash somewhere, it just irritates it and make me scratch more. And I can't stop myself from scratching, if I try not to, the pain from the itch usually puts me in tears. The winter of course dries out my skin and creates rashes randomly, the spring and summer make me sweat which burns my rashes really bad. The only time where the only rash I have is on my stomach is during the fall. Of course with all this my self esteem has crashed, I can never wear a bikini again, and it sucks having to explain over and over to people when I have rashes visible. I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who looks past it.

Anyway, I've tried many ointments, elidel did help but the side effects made me feel like i had the flu 24/7. Another prescribed ointment which I forget the name would help if I would put it on daily, but a lot of times it would irritate the rash right away which would make me scratch it off. Now someone has given me some triamcinlone, which they use on their very very less severe eczema, and I'm wondering if it would help my case? I don't have the insurance or money to go to a doctor to find out for myself, so if anyone could give me some advice it would be great. Sorry for the long message.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-24-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
(female)

jokoli HB User

Hi Amber,

I really understand how it is to suffer from *your stupid skin*

I have it since I am 4. It stopped with 12, came back with 18. My problem always was that I am allergic to almost everything. When I was young I wasn't even allowed to eat sugar, flour, anything with preservatives, and sour stuff.

In the meantime I most of those things but I probably shouldn't, but I just love food. The consequences now are that I am allergic to almost everything. I have always a low blood sugar so I should eat hight fibre stuff, but I can't because I am allergic to most of it.

I am allergic to dust, animal hair, Citrus stuff, nuts, hayfever, feathers, basically everything... it's easier to name the fruits I am allowed to eat. Bananas. I shouldn't eat beans, sugar, nuts, there are so many things. When I eat them I threw up. If I am not that agressive allergic to it, i JUST get my skin issues. For example my boyfriend eats a apple next to me, I smell it (!) and my lips begin to itch first, than I start getting that itchy-feeling all over my body.....

Amber it is tough to have eczema, and it hurts. It is disgusting and horrifying to wake up and find blood all over the sheets because you are a "sleep-scratcher". My arms for example are so bad now through all the scratching (it heals, it comes it goes) but it looks so bad that in the summer time when i have to wear T-shirts people on the street stop and look, some people mistake me with a heroin junky, if you itch and look tired on the streets the people get the weiredest ideas People ask if you were a victim of a fire.... but you know the worst thing is to get depressed all over it, believe me I went through it, but if you drag yourself down your eczema just gets worse. It's a stupid sickness. It's not just about what you eat it is about what you think too. For example when I was angry, all my eczema parts on my body get purple and wet. Disgusting, and really annoying when you want to make people believe you are alright.

The thing is you have to accept it. Because it doesn't matter how often you cry or scratch, this sickness is a part of you. You will find better medicine, it will get a bit better or when your lucky a lot better, but you have to learn to work with it. Laugh about it. Life is too short!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User

Hello
I was wondering if you have ever tried probiotics? That means eating live flora or bacteria. This shows a lot of promise, at least in curbing the symptoms if not controlling them from the inside. Your immune system is reacting to every day things because our society is to clean and you are missing a part of your immune system. The bacteria work from inside your digestive system assisting your immune system in identifying real threats instead of dust mites and basic foods.
undeveloped countries that don't use antibiotics for everything, don't have allergies. As countries start to develop they start to have more problems with allergies and associated auto immune diseases.
I started using probiotics and stopped eating starch and all processed foods and it went away in two weeks and hasn't showed up at all. I sit in a jacuzzi and use any soap I want. When I miss a dose for a couple days I can feel the itch.
This hasn't worked for everyone, but I know how desperate people are to find some relief. Only buy live cultures from a store that keeps them in refrigerators.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

[QUOTE=Amber87;3358020]Hi I'm 20 years old and my eczema was triggered when I was about 14. It started on my stomach under the bellybutton (I'm guessing because of my belts and fitted jeans), and it got worse and bigger, and then it covered all of my arms, it's pretty much been in every place on my body. The rashes come and go, but there's always one somewhere. I've gotten them all over my arms, armpits, neck, hips, legs upper and lower back, chest, like I said, everywhere. And throughout the entire year. It sucks because not only do I get them, but I have hyperpigmentation, so even when it's gone the spots from where the bumps and scratches were stay for years. The rash on my stomach never goes away (I can't really avoid not wearing belts and can't really do anything about the buttons and zippers on my jeans either) and it's the worse area. It doesn't even feel like normal skin anymore. It weeps the most, and flakes off skin constantly, and sometimes the itch is so bad I scratch until I bleed. Regular lotions to keep my skin moisturized doesn't help, since I always have a rash somewhere, it just irritates it and make me scratch more. And I can't stop myself from scratching, if I try not to, the pain from the itch usually puts me in tears. The winter of course dries out my skin and creates rashes randomly, the spring and summer make me sweat which burns my rashes really bad. The only time where the only rash I have is on my stomach is during the fall. Of course with all this my self esteem has crashed, I can never wear a bikini again, and it sucks having to explain over and over to people when I have rashes visible. I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who looks past it.

Anyway, I've tried many ointments, elidel did help but the side effects made me feel like i had the flu 24/7. Another prescribed ointment which I forget the name would help if I would put it on daily, but a lot of times it would irritate the rash right away which would make me scratch it off. Now someone has given me some triamcinlone, which they use on their very very less severe eczema, and I'm wondering if it would help my case? I don't have the insurance or money to go to a doctor to find out for myself, so if anyone could give me some advice it would be great. Sorry for the long message.[/QUOTE]

I've had eczema since I was a small child and have now had it for over 15 years. I am currently looking for some better treatments as well. I'm reading more and more that dietary changes and taking probiotics are the best treatments (and possibly cures). As far as helping with the itching, there are a lot of lotions and creams out there to help. But also try to avoid taking baths or showers in hot water, I notice that makes my much worse and it causes it to spread. Also be careful with what laundry detergents you try. I've had some give me such bad breakouts that I've had to go to the doctor to get shots for the reactions.

Good luck :3

Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User

I went for allergy testing and he said that I wasn't allergic to any foods. I was allergic to most pollen, pet dander and most of all dust mites.
I don't know exactly what foods they test for and even if you test negative that it really means anything. I know if I eat grapes or apples I get clear blisters on the soft tissue of my mouth. I also get the feeling that if I consume to much sugar my eczema gets worse. What I am trying to figure out is just how long it takes to have a reaction to something, so you know to ovoid it.

Closed Thread