It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
(male)

greg333 HB User
Please help, have this problem for 4+ years, redness near mouth won't go away! (Pics)

I've had this problem for a while but now it's getting to the point of me thinking about it ALL the time when I'm out somewhere, always putting my hand over my mouth when I'm not talking, and stuff like that.

From the corners of both sides of my mouth down to about halfway down my chin is all red. It's like a little red rectangle/box redness around my mouth.

NOWHERE else on my body has this constant redness.

I've been to the dermatologist and he gave me this cream that doesn't help at all.

It doesn't itch, burn, or any of that. it's just REALLY red and oily.

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Last edited by greg333; 01-09-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Please help, have had this problem for 4+ years, redness near mouth won't go away

Greg - Sorry, I have no idea. Especially since it doesn't bother you except for the redness being there.
One idea; I read this somewhere, some people are allergic to their own saliva. Also, toothpaste. My oldest daughter went through a period of massive acne like skin around her mouth. That's when we changed toothpaste, and tried keeping her mouth area dry. Kinda cleared up on its own tho.
Maybe you just have extra oily skin there or could it be from shaving?
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Re: Please help, have had this problem for 4+ years, redness near mouth won't go away

any chance its perioral dermatitis??

Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

summerluvr HB User

Sounds like perioral dermatitis... or rosacea... i have both.. both cause redness... its not really oily though.. more red and scaly as if really dry skin.

The PD cause red that goes around the mouth and kind of looks like a goate. I have some of it still but its much better.. that a few years ago.

Rosacea never goes away but you can control it with cream. I use Metro Cream and it works ok.

When i first went to the dermatologist to get both under control (PD is suspected to be a variant of Rosacea) i went on a low dose round of antibiotics for three months.. (doxycycline) and then i swithced to the cream.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

emily532 HB User

i think i have the same thing! Red itchy spots which group together to cover from nose to mouth. Have tried really strong steriod creams and antibiotics, nothing seems to work! im going back to the dermatologist this week so will keep you posted if anything works!

Closed Thread