It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

lexus7480 HB User
Recurring Rash Every Winter

Hello,

I am a 27 y/o female. For the last few winters I have been getting small circular rashes on (mostly) the inside of my elbow and upper chest. The rash starts as a small scaly patch and then grows eventually to the size of a quarter.

They are always circular and fairly well defined but there is rarely a defined border, although the center is sometimes lighter.

Occasionally they will get red, but for the most part they are pink and the skin gets very scaly. They last anywhere from about 2 weeks to 2 months and almost always disappear by May. The patches remain scaly even after the period of inflamation has died down.

The patches are itchy, and moisturizing cream does not help - until they have died down.

It sounds like ringworm or another fungal infection but only really occurs between November and April when it gets cold and dry.

If it is a fungal infection can it come back yearly? I am not a medical person but this sounds more like a viral thing - if it is infectious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User
Re: Recurring Rash Every Winter

This is called discoid eczema and it is a hereditary skin condition that reacts to climate stress and sometimes diet.
You need to take shorter cooler showers using dove natural soap. Use moisturizers all over and especially in affected areas. Hydro cortisone will help but use it only if it gets bad. The lack of sunlight and cold dry air cause it to act up. The UV rays from the sun actually kill some of the white blood cells that cause the problem. Your immune system is acting on a perceived threat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
(female)

lexus7480 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Recurring Rash Every Winter

Thank you so much, Willy, for your insight! It puts me at ease to know what may be causing this and how to eleviate the symptoms.

Closed Thread