It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

2babies1dog HB User
New here- looking for insight on skin issues- seb derm?

Hello!
I have been having skin issues for the past 8 months. Growing up I always had sensitive skin, but never any problems. I have always been very healthy, too.

About 8 months ago I developed a small red skin irritation under my right eye. It itched and burned like crazy. I thought it was eczema, but creams didn't do much. It continued to get bigger and more irritated. I saw a dermatologist who did a biopsy on it. I think it came back as "eczema-type" but nothing more specific. She has been treating me with steroids for five months, each steroid more potent than the previous. The problem has only gotten worse, the area bigger, and I now have it under my left eye and sometimes on my forehead as well. It itches and burns like crazy. Not all the time, but there is definitely a tingling sensation 24/7, the intense itching and burning comes and goes.

During all of this I also developed some sort of hive rash all over my body. After allergy testing it turned out I developed dust mite and dander allergies. Antihistamines have pretty much taken care of that issue. My face has never had the results my body has had, though, so I think they are two different issues.

I thought I might have steroid rosacea, but my derm doesn't think so. I posted on a rosacea board, and some members thought maybe seborrheic dermatitis. The constant itching and burning leads me to think they're onto something. I am currently on a ridiculous amount of medication for what my doctors are treating as chronic hives, including 60mg of Prednisone/day. I will wean off of that next week but I'm afraid I'm going to have a flare up from withdrawal.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be going on? I am trying to eat a "clean" diet, taking probiotics, along with all of my meds. I have H&S shampoo, so maybe I'll try to wash my face with that tonight.

Any isight is greatly appreciate!

**The areas are not pimply at all. They are solid red patches, sometimes they get a little dry and flaky, but not scaly. It is a constant burning sensation, not as much itchy as burning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User
Re: New here- looking for insight on skin issues- seb derm?

Hello
I wouldn't use any steroid cream on your eye lid or for that matter your face!
This will make your skin thin and you will have more problems in the future.
You should ask for Elidel or protopic. They are both black box items but if you read the case information. The people were taking massive doses internally for years and developed cancer. The other thing you mentioned is using head and shoulders to wash. Please don't! That will make it worse. You need to use a non detergent soap and moisturize three times or more a day. Make sure the moisturizer doesn't contain any alcohol, fragrance or scents.
The other thing the dermatologist didn't tell you is stress diet play a big role.
Eliminate all processed foods, eat fruit and vegetables little fish and less red meat. Probiotics are good add grape seed extract, green tea extract and a good source of multi b vitamin.
Allergies are a possible cause but usually impossible to find.
Good luck.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
(female)

chele55 HB User

[QUOTE=2babies1dog;3382358]Hello!
I have been having skin issues for the past 8 months. Growing up I always had sensitive skin, but never any problems. I have always been very healthy, too.

About 8 months ago I developed a small red skin irritation under my right eye. It itched and burned like crazy. I thought it was eczema, but creams didn't do much. It continued to get bigger and more irritated. I saw a dermatologist who did a biopsy on it. I think it came back as "eczema-type" but nothing more specific. She has been treating me with steroids for five months, each steroid more potent than the previous. The problem has only gotten worse, the area bigger, and I now have it under my left eye and sometimes on my forehead as well. It itches and burns like crazy. Not all the time, but there is definitely a tingling sensation 24/7, the intense itching and burning comes and goes.

During all of this I also developed some sort of hive rash all over my body. After allergy testing it turned out I developed dust mite and dander allergies. Antihistamines have pretty much taken care of that issue. My face has never had the results my body has had, though, so I think they are two different issues.

I thought I might have steroid rosacea, but my derm doesn't think so. I posted on a rosacea board, and some members thought maybe seborrheic dermatitis. The constant itching and burning leads me to think they're onto something. I am currently on a ridiculous amount of medication for what my doctors are treating as chronic hives, including 60mg of Prednisone/day. I will wean off of that next week but I'm afraid I'm going to have a flare up from withdrawal.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be going on? I am trying to eat a "clean" diet, taking probiotics, along with all of my meds. I have H&S shampoo, so maybe I'll try to wash my face with that tonight.

Any isight is greatly appreciate!

**The areas are not pimply at all. They are solid red patches, sometimes they get a little dry and flaky, but not scaly. It is a constant burning sensation, not as much itchy as burning.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't sound like seborrheic dermatitis as it's only around the eye area. You ned to find out wether it's bacterial or fungal. I would also recommend protopic which works very well for SD and other skin problems but ask your doc first. Maybe one who can actually diagnose your condition! GL

Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Truy washing your face every day with Selsun Blue instead of soap.

Lateher it up, and elave it on for 1 minute, then rinse off.

If it is seboric dermatitis, this should take care of it within a couple of weeks.

Continue to use it once or twice a week to keep it at bay.

Closed Thread