It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
How can you highlight your hair when you have scalp psorisis?

I have scalp psorisis. I have tried almost everything to keep it under control but mostly I have to use what I call the harsh shampoos that are medicated and all that, head and shoulders, selsun blue, etc. It seemes to keep my plaques pretty well under control as well as most of the itching. I do use a good conditioner to help replace the loss of moisture that these shampoos can cause. Now for my question.. I want to get my hair highlighted but in the past I have been told that once your hair is highlighted you should not use any of these harsh shampoos because it will damage, change the color of the highlights, etc.. What do you women do that have scalp psorisis and want to highlight your hair a little to get rid of that gray? thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User
Re: How can you highlight your hair when you have scalp psorisis?

Hi melanie, I had a bit of the scalp problem last year...I actually rubbed a little Cortisone5 on the spots, and they eventually went away after awhile. But, at the time, I used both color and highlighting on my hair, and it didn't damage the hair or change the color. I did my own highlights, and only did a few areas around my face, so it wasn't my whole head. But, I didn't use the medicated shampoos; just regular shampoo for dry scalp. Maybe you could start out just doing a little bit of highlighting and see how things go, and then if it seems ok, then you could do a heavier highlighting. I also get perms, and my beautician said the perm solution actually can help dry the psorisis up.

Take care,
Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

thanks. I definately don't need a perm because I have naturally curly hair!ha I would love to lose all these harsh shampoos but it seems like when I stop using them for a few weeks the plaques come back in different areas in my head. Maybe I should try the cortaid, etc. the only thing I worry about is that I won't get the lotion right on the scalp area but in my hair.. guess it just takes practice but yes I would love to lose the medicated shampoos and just use regular ones. Maybe I will give it a try!thank you.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Lucky you with having naturally curly hair! Yes, when I used the Cortisone, I did try to get it just on the scaly spots, but unfortunately you do get a bit on the hair as well. I used it at night because I either shampooed my hair in the morning or rinsed my hair with hot water. Or, maybe you could try it on the week-end if your not going out. I had maybe three or four little patches, and that was about 2 years ago, and it hasn't come back since.

Good luck!

Closed Thread