It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User
Scabies or Eczema?

I have had Eczema all my life and have recently been under a lot of stress. I've also been sick a lot and just went to the doctor today for what I think is a sinus infection. I don't have good insurance, just Medi-Cal, which is for low income, so you can imagine I don't have the best doctors, either. Anyway, I went to the clinic and saw a different doctor, who took a look at the skin condition on my hands. I've had the itching and burning off and on for a while and it's really bad now.

I have little bumps that look like blisters and when they pop, they crust over. I have several tiny bumps all over and in between my fingers. The doctor took one look at it and said it looked like scabies. I've never had scabies and only have the rash really bad on my hands. He gave me a prescription and now I'm worried because I'm a mother of three and I have very young children. Everyone keeps telling me that it doesn't resemble scabies at all, and I don't know whether or not to take the medication, because of all the side effects. If it is eczema and not scabies, I'm concerned about being misdiagnosed.

So.... I'm thinking about not taking the meds and discussing this with my doctor at the followup. I am confused....

Old 04-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Re: Scabies or Eczema?

What kind of meds were your given?

It does sound to me like scabies and if so, it is contagious.

When my daughter was little, she contacted scabies from some cheerleaders at her school. We were given Kwell Lotion and it worked great. It is a very dangerous medicine if used wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

I'm not sure. It starts with a "P"... but the thing is that I've had this skin condition on my hands for a good portion of my life and then all of a sudden a new doctor wants to tell me its scabies? If this were true, wouldn't my whole family have had it by now? Or wouldn't it spread? It looks a severe case of eczema... I am nursing a baby right now and don't want to take the medicine if I'm not 100% sure I need it. He didn't look at my hands for more than 10 seconds... so, I don't know. That's why I'm a little leary.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

Well, if you've had it that long and it has not spread, it is probably not scabies. My daughter had it in the web or her fingers and toes. That's supossedly how they enter the body.

Do you have access to a dermatologist? They could do some type of skin test maybe.

I have a mild case of psoraris (spelling wrong) and have heard that it can be on your hands.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User

definitely eczema. don't pop the blisters. Use the medication or steroid cream.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
(female)

laughingdragons HB User

Hi,

when I first started having skin problems the first derm. told me I had scabies. Gave me the cream...well it didn't go away and I ended up seeing another derm. he looked at me for maybe 10 secs. and told me it was eczema.

Not all drs. know what they are doing sometimes you need a second opinion.

You say you are under stress that is what caused my eczema.

You need to try to get your stress controlled (I know easier said than done).

The one true thing that controls my eczema was following a diet (and does work as long as you stay on it).

I was searching for years on eczema and what to do about it. It was so horrible that the creases of both my arms were raw and bloody from the itch. I started to have suicidal thoughts because of the itch.

I finally ran past an eczema message board and a guy was posting about a book with a diet that actually got rid of his eczema. No one seemed to listen to him, but I was at the point I'd try [I]anything[/I].

The book HEALING PSORIASIS: The Natural Alternative by John Pagano (I have no affiliation with him) talks about how the body builds up toxins and being the skin is our largest organ that is how it seeps out (the sores).

Do a search for leaky gut syndrome it is pretty much the same thing. What he talks about in the book makes so much sense. Don't let the title of the book fool you it does work on eczema also. I've done the diet and other recommendations and it cleared my skin within 4 months and I stayed clear for about 5 years after stopping it. It is back again and I'm trying to get back on the diet it is just really restrictive, but it does work.

Some things that can cause eczema to flair up is stress, smoking, acidy foods and coffee just to name a few.

Try to see if your library has it to rent and read.

You need to cleanse your body to get rid of the toxins. Putting on the creams and ointments only makes the toxins go back into your body it doesn't actually get rid of it.

Good luck with it!

Last edited by laughingdragons; 04-09-2008 at 01:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to laughingdragons For This Useful Post:
fgranmeer4 (08-05-2011)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
(male)

lukey123 HB User

Dermatitis or Eczema is an inflammation of the skin, generally appearing as swollen, reddened and itchy. There are many different types of the disorder, each with a distinct sign which may affect all age groups each with its own symptoms the most common including redness, swelling, itching and skin lesions.
Eczema or Dermatitis is a common non life- threatening or contagious skin disorder, which often makes people uncomfortable and self-conscious.
In the UK alone one fifth of all school age children and one in twelve adults suffer with eczema. These figures do not take into account the number of babies with the problem.
It is a fact that when people with eczema swim in the sea every day their eczema clears.
On returning from holiday, 2/3 weeks later the itching starts again. [I]Aalgo [/I]in a luke warm bath turns your bath into The same constituents as sea water without the salt.
Our particular problem is that the eczema becomes infected very easily but regularly bathing her in your seaweed keeps it at bay and prevents it recurring. It also calms the skin when she is having an itchy attack. We call it our brown bath, and although it smells we love it

Closed Thread