It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User
Contact dermatitis

I had a small filling put in one of my smaller right molars last fall and in january I developed perioral dermatitis, at the time I didn't connect the fillings and the irritation since it was more a visible irritation then a physical one. I had a bit of acne in the area and I got on antibiotics which cleared up most of the acne. Keep in mind at this time I was on medicine to increase natural hormone production as well as an Aromtise inhibitor which can really dry out your skin mostly your lips but I had already tapered down to a minute dose although it could still have done some hard. I stoped them both at this time.
the condition still stuck around to some degree redness and such. I have this cream called Elidel(redness around my nose with whiteheads almost dermatitis liek and the cream relieves it) which is an immunosuppresant. I used since it can help with ezcemous conditions and reduce inflammation.

I tapered down the elidel slightly although I noticed some irritaiton when I put on carmex lip balm( have really chapped lips) I would feel this odd feeling for 30 mins, a few other substances gave me this type of feeling as well vitamins and other drugs. Later I read how petrolatum and menthol will irritate periorial dermatitis, among a list of things. So I end up going on vacation for the first time in years, within a couple days I experience this intense burning around the middle of my lower lip area, I was appliying sunscreen etc. It started to get slightly worse and I was using more elidel, back to 2 times a day.

So I go on vacation mid may I'm apply sunscren elidel around my mouth(mainly the bottom right area) and within a couple days one morning I wake up and within an hour or so the bottom part of my lower lip(in the middle) is burning intensly, the sides were probably irritated as well but the bottom burned so badly that's all I could feel, it got itchy as well. I ended up getting hydrocortisone cream with an antibacterial as well as antibiotics within 10 days or so of being home. Antibiotics mainly doxycycline has anti inflammatory properties so I got a bit of relief there but there was still underlying redness on the sides(mainly the right side I should add where I got that filling way back in mid-late october..

So basiclally I've suffered for 2 months been very miserable worrying what it could be so late june I go for a dental checkup I tell them I don't want fluoride since that aggrivates PD, they mention how I need 2 fillings done, then when I leave the hygenist says how theres a note of me being allergic to dental material, which I was never tested for I just told them I was and to remove it(check the last paragraph). I said oh no I don't think so b ecause I had convincned myself that it was the antibiotics that cured me from my other case of dermatitis. But then I got to thinking hwo the antibiotics this time far from cured me. I mentioned this to my mom and she was like just wait until you apointment which was this past thursday.

I call a couple days before and leave a message how I'm concerned about allergys as well as these 2 bumps inside the bottom of mouth/ the lip area where oddly enough Iw as experiencing tingeling and I wanted to get my past filling removed instead of 2 new ones put in. I get a call back the day before and I express some of my concerns she says she'll leave a note. Well the day I go in I tell the nurse that I about the burning/itching mainy in the bottom middle/right side around my lips/mouth.and about the bump inside. Well next thing you know she sticks 2 numbing get q-tips into the left side of my mouth. I talked to the doc about the bump and how it was tingeling(itching is a better word and burning) in that area, I wasn't nearly as assertive enough here. Ithought they would catered to my needs after telling the nurse and receptionist the problem

So now I've got 2 new fillings in the left side of my mouth 1 main molar on the bottom with filling material touching the side, and now my left side of my mouth is really irritated. At this point I'm pretty positive it's an allergy that's causing my probelms. I should add that I'm really prone to allergys I have to get allergy shots every week for common allergens, Now heres my dilema If I want to get proper patch testing done I need a referal to the 1 dermatolgist in my city who does that, and even then it will be a 2 month wait to get in. This is really driving me crazy I have no energy to get out of bed and I can't enjoy anything I'm sligtly OCD and it's all I think about , my mom said that she promises that they will be removed monday which Is possible but not very likely IMO..

I have 2 fillings on my left side which will leaves holes since they drill down to make a good space for the filling and the one on my right side which is a smaller moler. I may be able to chew on my right side. This dentist doesn't use other material so it would most likely be weeks before I can get something else in there I don't mind actually as long as I feel human again.

Keep in mind during fall 05 I had 2 of my front chipped teeth fixed with a ton of filler put in that area.. I felt really down lethagic and irritated for a couple months I went on vacation and the heat makes dermatitis much worse, the pain became unbearable an intense burning..a coupler months later after my vacation. I got on antibiotics and had the filler removed at basically the same date( that was my first post on here) and what do you know the irritaiton went away, now for some reason I ended up convicing myself that it wasn't the filling removal that fixed my problem rather the antibiotics which did the trick. Since I had been using metrogel for around my nose and thought it was a steroid induced dermatitis or maybe SD..

What would you do in my situation any comments are appreciated, sorry it's a really long thread I figure I have nothing better to do with my time since I've been really miserable for the past couple months. At the moment I just want the fillings out so I can feel semi normal again and get some enjoyment out of life..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread