It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
my skin is peeling off!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="3"]I am a 27 year old woman with a history of auto-immune diseases as well as Eczema and Sebhorreic Dermatitis. Lately though, I have had peeling skin on my hands and I don't know if it is from either of those things. I have never experienced this symptom before.

I have been wondering if it is because I get my nails done and they put my hands under the UV light for about 3 minutes to set the permanent french design, but itis such a mild light that I really don't think it would cause this. And then why would it start two weeks after I got it done the last time?

I don't mean that my skin is flaky and dry. I mean that the top layer of skin on my fingertips and palms is literally just peeling off in somewhat large pieces. It doesn't hurt or itch. My skin is just spontaneously peeling off. This morning my left hand had one small spot on it, and I looked at it 5 minutes later and another spot had appeared, and then half an hour after that another one. It all started with just an itchy palm on my right hand about a week ago. I scratched and scratched until I gave myself a blister. I thought that was the end of it. Then the skin on my fingertips started peeling off all by itself. It never hurts or itches. It is just there and then it's not.

After the top layer of skin peels off, the new skin underneath is all hard and doesn't look or feel normal. It's all wrinkly and tough. The best way I can describe this is that when I was a kid I used to love to rub Elmers white glue all over my hands and then wait until it dried and peel if off. My skin feels like I have glue all over my hands!

I have an appointment with my dermatologist on August 7th, but I wonder if any of you have ever experienced this.

Thanks,
Elyse[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Grambo HB User
Re: my skin is peeling off!

It could be reaction to the light, an allergy to the something in the artificial nails is more likely IMO. Allergic contact dermatits.. acrylics or possibly formaldahyde
I'd try forgetting the nail treatments and see if your skin improves.

I'm sorry but you say it doesn't itch or hurt at all.Then you state It started last week with an itchy palm that you couldn't resist scrathcing. I think I might know what your saying but that seems a little contradictory

Old 07-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

[QUOTE=Grambo;3664709]

I'm sorry but you say it doesn't itch or hurt at all.Then you state It started last week with an itchy palm that you couldn't resist scrathcing. I think I might know what your saying but that seems a little contradictory[/QUOTE]

What I meant is that my palm started itching and I scratched it and got a blister. The blister of course peeled. Now I'm getting blisters and peeling skin on my fingertips and the rest of my hands, but without the itching and scratching.

You know, I had thought it might be due to the UV lights in the nail treatments, but this didn't start until about 10 days after my last nail salon so I really don't know what to make of it. Thanks for the input though. I'm seeing my dermatologist in a week (going to call and beg to be seen tomorrow instead!) so I'll just have to see what he says.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
(male)

Prosopis HB User

Hi, The same thing is happening to me! I'm 38, and the skin has been peeling off my fingertips for the last 5 days now. It's freaking out my wife, who is afraid I have a flesh-eating virus. I do not, however, have a skin condition, or any other condition or health problem for that matter. In fact, there is no pain, itching, inflammation or even the slightest redness. I have been using a new facial scrub, and after reading another forum about the same condition, I looked for salicylic acid, but it is not listed as an ingredient. I'll discontinue use of the product, and failing that, I'll try the Lamisil. I don't want to try both, because then I won't know which one solved the problem (assuming either one does).

The produce it Queen Helene(R) Refreshing Mint Julep Natural Facial Scrub.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
(male)

Prosopis HB User

Oh, and one more thing: we went swimming at Port Aransas three weeks ago (Labor Day Weekend), and there are always warnings about flesh-eating bacteria lurking about the water down there. That would be 20 days ago, and about 15 days before symptom expression. Maybe there's a connection...

Closed Thread