It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Eczema?

I developed a rash on my arms and legs that my derm yesterday told me looked like eczema, even though it developed about a week after I started taking an antibiotic for chronic lyme disease. He prescribed a cream, which I have to go pick up today, so I'm not yet sure what it is.

The rash is very, very light. In fact, it seems to have gotten a tiny bit better (even though I am still taking the antibiotic). I've been using hydrocortisone and claritin since it started, but that's all. If you look really closely at my skin you can see where the spots are. Some of them look like dry patches, but they don't feel dry. When I take a shower the spots would become very noticeable and look very dark pink all over my thighs, buttocks and lower arms. This still happens, but there seem to be less spots now and they fade much faster. They don't itch and never have really. I've been out in the sun for long periods and the spots have never darkened; they only flare up from the shower or if direct heat is aimed at them, such as from a hair dryer.

I thought eczema was red all the time. Does this sound like eczema to you?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User
Re: Eczema?

Eczema covers just about every skin problem. The definition is so broad that it's worthless. Every time you have red skin. They say it's eczema. They should put more effort into breaking it down. Some people can make it go away with diet or moisturizers. Some people have something completely different, possibly new or undiagnosed form of skin irritation. My symptoms don't resemble any form of eczema but nonetheless they claim it's eczema. No redness, no itching, no scaly skin or bumps. The only symptom is stinging pain that comes and goes.

This forum should be useful for people like us but due to circumstances beyond our control. Hardly anybody responds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User

You're right Willy. I for one don't know why there aren't more people posting re eczema. I come here daily to check. I have a terrible problem with eczema. I've been going to the derm for a year now and I'm worse off than ever. I know my skin. I have the typical eczema, i.e., tiny blisters that itch like mad!!! and I do believe I have nummular dermatitis. I have the round/oval lesions on my stomach and side which will leave and reappear in the same place. I searched the web till I found the symptoms. My derm is more interested in the 'beauty' aspect now and his NP is doing all the 'medical' stuff. She is very sweet but not an MD for sure. In this little town there are but two derms and neither one is interested in plain old eczema, more $$$ in beautifying and the spa. Getting back to the eczema, I use Cetaphil cream, no soap at all, cool short baths, free soap powder and dryer sheets, eat right,etc. I do and don't do all the things that are supposedly helpful. I still itch and am in pure misery! I'm up in age and have really dry skin plus I'm very blond. I've always avoided the sun because of sensitive skin and now I don't even get out except to go to church and grocery shop. That's one outing a week and it gets very depressing and I know this doesn't help the itching but it's difficult to 'keep smiling!" Well, enough rambling! Thanks for all your posts. I see you are fairly knowledgeable about eczema. Blessing

Old 01-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

Kamili HB User

I would love to talk about eczema and what people are doing to heal up the skin.
I've had multiple doctors visits and been treated for skin infection and allergic reaction but I still get the feeling that they are not entirely sure what I have or what I need to do. They certainly haven't said for sure that I have this eczema and what to do about it. I haven't been officially diagnosised but I believe that I have nummular eczema (aka discoid eczema). It is on the tops of my hands and until I got antibiotic and steriods (prednisone) from a dermatologist it was on my arms and legs too.
I've looked it up on the internet and I fits. I even was misdiagnosised by a urgent care doctor who thought it was ring worm. I found in my search that it looks like ringworm sometimes and mine did at first but it doesn't now. It grows, changes, flares up and goes down. Moisturizing has seemed to help once I started treating my strange rash as eczema. It's been a frustrating road to be dealing with this strange rash that appeared out of no where for these last few months.
I desperately want to talk to someone who also has this. Nummular eczema is different from the usual eczema -redness and itchiness that most people get but I would appreciate advice from anyone who has any type of stubborn and itchy eczema.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

pluffman HB User

Ask your doctor to prescribe Ultravate Ointment (Halobetasol Propionate Ointment 0.05% ) NOT CREAM. A dermatologists prescribed this to me 30 years ago. They tell you not to use it daily cause it thins the skin but I do, I have to. Get some Aquaphor Ointment from Wal-Mart it is by Eucerin. Eczema does not like water(especially HOT water) or soap. Use Cetaphil skin cleanser when possible. The tanning bed also helps. I had it on my knees, elbows and ankles all my life but it has moved now to the palms of my hands too. If you've ever had a paper cut on your fingers you know what my hands feel like everyday. These 2 ointments are the best I have ever found. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
(female)

Kamili HB User

I will try that and see if I can get a prescription for the other. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
(male)

PikaB HB User

[QUOTE=Kamili;3835799]...I desperately want to talk to someone who also has this. Nummular eczema is different from the usual eczema -redness and itchiness that most people get but I would appreciate advice from anyone who has any type of stubborn and itchy eczema.[/QUOTE]
I was just diagnosed with nummular eczema last week, after having increasing symptoms for the past 3 months. The two largest spots, over 1" long, were on my legs, but there were other spots on my arms and starting to spread onto my torso. The dermatologist prescribed Fluocinonide ointment, to be mixed 50% with Cetaphil, applied twice daily. It seems to be working great, as the itch has stopped and the spots are no longer scabby and bumpy. After the first use, it seemed to remain on my hands even after washing thoroughly, because touching a finger to my tongue (to turn the page of a magazine) gave me a really icky taste which was hard to get rid of. So now I use a latex finger to mix and apply the ointment.

The dermatologist also gave me an instruction sheet to follow regarding soaps and lotions, bathing, laundry, etc.

So my case seems to be very controllable, but from what I read about it, it will likely be present in me from here on. And I am additionally concerned because I have osteoporosis, and steroids are known to reduce bone density. Hopefully not much of the external steroid will make its way into my bloodstream.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
(male)

PikaB HB User

Update: The prescription ointment made all of the symptoms subside. I have continued to follow my dermatologist's instructions regarding soaps and lotions, bathing, laundry, etc. When new outbreaks occur, I have found that use of over-the-counter hydrocortisone ointment usually works fine to make the symptoms subside.

One of the outbreak areas was on my upper forearms. Ordinarily, I wear t-shirts around the house, for sleeping, and while exercising. But I thought that the sleeves from the t-shirts were aggravating the outbreak spots on my forearms. So I switched to sleeveless t-shirts around the house and on my daily exercise walk; they really substantially reduced the irritation to my forearms. If anyone else is having trouble with eczema on forearms, I suggest you also switch to sleeveless tops. But it's not easy to find sleeveless t-shirts with pockets (which I prefer for holding glasses or music player), though I have managed to find a few sources.

Closed Thread