It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
(male)

cirque HB User
what happens if you let ring worms go untreated?

I had a ring worm show up in a very random spot... I left it alone thinking over time it would go away. Well another started to develop elsewhere on my body. I left that one alone as well. Now I have signs of 4 ring worms in total and have also acquired new skin problems that I have never had before.

What happens if you leave ring worms alone and let them go untreated?

I really dont want my skin to become a problem, because it never has been in the past.

Any insight?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: what happens if you let ring worms go untreated?

Ringworm is a yeast infection called tinea versicolor. If left untreated it will spread, sweat makes it worse and it's often more noticeable in the summer because the spots don't tan.

This Medline Plus page: [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001465.htm[/url] suggests an OTC dandruff shampoo applied to the skin for 10 min a day will work, you can try it but it didn't work for me. I ended up having to go to the dermatologist and get a Rx antifungal cream. There's antifungal pills too, but they tend to have wacky side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
(male)

cirque HB User

side effects like what?

the cream wont benefit me, I work in heat and it just rubbed off with sweat, I have tried it already.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
(female)

CoastieGirl7287 HB User

just use an antifungal cream(i think my mom got lotramin or something) at night or what not. problem solved...always worked for me when i was a kid

Last edited by CoastieGirl7287; 08-02-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

There's alot of medications you can't take along with an antifungal (tylenol, stomach meds, some antibiotics - it's a long list), you can't drink on an antifungal (because you'll get sicker than you ever dreamed possible) and they can cause liver damage. Along with the regular list o' side effects most people never have anyway: headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, etc.

Ketoconazole (Brand name Nizoral) comes in pill form, cream or OTC shampoo. [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682816.html[/url]

Fluconazole (Brand name Diflucan)
[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a690002.html[/url]

You don't have to take the pills forever so if you don't mind not drinking for a week or two and you're not on a bunch of other meds already, including OTC drugs like tylenol, the pills may work out just fine for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to AuntieLeela:
abegail856 (01-29-2011)
Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
(male)

smartfast HB User

I am on an oral antifungal, sporanox (itraconazole) , and was told nothing from my Dr or pharmacist about drinking or taking tylenol. I was told in quite detail that its important to take the pill with something acidic (coca cola or orange juice) and no less than 1 hour before you eat. When you do eat, it should contain fats to help the medication get into your blood stream.

To be sure, I double checked with a drug interactions guide, and although the increased risk of liver damage was mentioned, along with other medication interactions, there were no other warnings.

??

I dont think my doc nor pharamiscist would put me at risk by neglecting to tell me something imporant.. Maybe itraconazole I'm taking is different from the two drugs you just mentioned, and if so .. you might want to start out with sporanox if only for the compatibility with drinking/tylenol.

Also, I've been on it BID for 5 days .. I dont feel any side effects at all.

But, its also not noticeably working to cure my ringworm either, LOL. But nothing seems to... everything just seems to "Get it angrier"

Closed Thread