It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User
Chapped lips

For the past 2 weeks I've been having this extremely strange problem. I get chapped lips with cracks on the side of my mouth. I showed them to the doctor and he perscribed Abreva cream. Now whenever I put on Chapstick or Abreva my lips heal up and stay normal for about 2 days. However then they become chapped again. How can I stop them from chapping? Could it be something environmental? Please help!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

nactiveone HB User
Re: Chapped lips

hey john

i just posted something similar happening to me, but i havent gotten any Responses.

research angular cheilitis On here. i have had chapped lips my entire life, but i recently developed these cracks, once about a year ago and once about 2 Weeks ago.

here's a run down of Some of The causes..

high humidity -- causing fungus to develop
dry climate
lip biting or licking
thumbsucking
dentures
misaligned teeth
viral or bacterial -- boy That narrows it down
weakened immune system
iron deficiency
allergies
drooling, try sleeping on back

let me know what you think. unfortunately, i havent grown out of sucking my thumb so im hoping if i stop and try sleeping on my back instead of my face, it Will cure This problem. ive been using carmax religiously, so i hope this helps it forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Using too much lip balm can cause rebound dryness and make the problem worse.

Abreva is used for cold sores - a viral infection. It doesn't treat canker sores or cracks around the sides of the mouth.

I'd never heard of angular cheilitis. Interesting stuff, I'm pretty sure I had that as a kid. I was diagnosed with celiac a few years ago, I'm always finding one more symptom, past or present, to put in the 'celiac' bag.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

nactiveone HB User

[QUOTE=AuntieLeela;3690078]Using too much lip balm can cause rebound dryness and make the problem worse.

QUOTE]

you're not kidding. i just bought blistex lip infusion and used it pretty frequently yesterday. but i woke up this morning with my lips really dry. once that stuff absorbs into your lips, i feel like it makes them more dry Than moist.

do u think using carmex or vasiline every day would make The problem worse? or are There any better options?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

workaholic902 HB User

QUOTE]
do u think using carmex or vasiline every day would make The problem worse? or are There any better options?[/QUOTE]

I think it would make it worse from my experience. I have been using lip balm for a long time (chapstick, carmex, burts bees)almost every day and my lips have always been dry and cracked for years. I tried all the advice people gave me (don't lick your lips, drink lots of water, take vitamins, use vaseline before you go to bed, etc.) but nothing seemed to work. I then saw this lip treatment product called Labbri lip treatment in this month's Allure Best of Beauty issue and decided to look into it more. I found out that a lot of lip balms just coat your lips so your lips end up just drying up even more because moisture and oxygen can't get in. This product says that it doesn't coat your lips - instead it absorbs into your lips so your lips can get moisture and heal. I like that it uses all natural ingredients but the amazing thing is that there are only 4 ingredients in the entire product! And amazingly it's been working much better than anything else I've used so far. My lips can be so dry that the skin is peeling off but after I put it on, I've noticed my lips are soft and smooth within an hour or so. I've only used it for a week and and my lips are much better now and I don't need to use lip balm anymore - I've heard stories that companies put chemicals in lip balm to make them addictive and now I think they may be true because I've been using lip balm for so long and I never realized it wasn't making my lips better. If your lips are really bad like mine were, you might want to give this is shot.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

peelinglips83 HB User

this thread has TONS of good ideas

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122721[/url]

My lips crack and peel everyday and I'm going to try the ideas people shared right away.

Closed Thread