It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #16
(female)

jsimertz1 HB User
Re: painful itchy forearms without rash

I'm going to my dermatologist this Friday. I'm not exactly hopeful but who knows maybe he'll have an answer. I'll keep everyone posted.

Jill

Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #17
(female)

ss555 HB User

Jill,
Good luck Friday, I'll hope for the best, my appt. is not until December! That was the first I could get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #18
(male)

michael56 HB User

I have had this problem for 6 years now. Believe me I have tried everything . I have the same problem as I sit here at this moment after a staggered nights sleep. My scottish doctor who is pretty damgood and from the " old " school gave me kotozone cream. Thats how they spell it here in Germany anyway .I must say even though it did not cure it it certainly gave me some respite. Ice packs also work but they are difficult to keep in place when trying to sleep. Also there is the problem of keeping the sheets dry. Maybe someone could come up with an idea to make armlet type sleeves that you could put into the fridge and slip on before one goes to bed . Maybe there is an entrepenour out there ready to make a few bucks on this idea . If so send me a pair , postage free of course !

Old 11-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

joansartiers HB User

Be careful when using cortisone creams, they thin out the skin and should only be used as directed under medical supervision. Cortisone creams help to reduce itchyness and swelling of the skin, have you tried using calamine lotion or pinetarsol solutions? These products do the same effect, but are better to use more frequently compared to the cortisone creams. Maybe there is an allergy involved with soap, shampoo/conditioners and even washing detergent. Have an allergy test done by your doctor

Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
(male)

michael56 HB User

[QUOTE=joansartiers;3788418]Be careful when using cortisone creams, they thin out the skin and should only be used as directed under medical supervision. Cortisone creams help to reduce itchyness and swelling of the skin, have you tried using calamine lotion or pinetarsol solutions? These products do the same effect, but are better to use more frequently compared to the cortisone creams. Maybe there is an allergy involved with soap, shampoo/conditioners and even washing detergent. Have an allergy test done by your doctor[/QUOTE]I have done that ...still no joy ....thanks anyway

Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

[QUOTE=michael56;3788806]I have done that ...still no joy ....thanks anyway[/QUOTE]
Try CAPSAICIN. It is over the counter. I have itchy rash on forearms that gets worse the more you touch it. I went to the DR today and this is what he told me to get. It is actually a nerve problem you are having, not skin. This is why you dont see a rash on the skin. Check into CAPSAICIN please. You will be amazed!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

[QUOTE=michael56;3788396]I have had this problem for 6 years now. Believe me I have tried everything . I have the same problem as I sit here at this moment after a staggered nights sleep. My scottish doctor who is pretty damgood and from the " old " school gave me kotozone cream. Thats how they spell it here in Germany anyway .I must say even though it did not cure it it certainly gave me some respite. Ice packs also work but they are difficult to keep in place when trying to sleep. Also there is the problem of keeping the sheets dry. Maybe someone could come up with an idea to make armlet type sleeves that you could put into the fridge and slip on before one goes to bed . Maybe there is an entrepenour out there ready to make a few bucks on this idea . If so send me a pair , postage free of course ![/QUOTE]
CAPSAICIN. It is over the counter. I have itchy rash on forearms that gets worse the more you touch it. I went to the DR today and this is what he told me to get. It is actually a nerve problem you are having, not skin. This is why you dont see a rash on the skin. Check into CAPSAICIN please. You will be amazed!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #23
(female)

jsimertz1 HB User

I agree, Capsaicin does work. I went to my dermatologist a few weeks ago and they weren't sure at all what it was. Thought it might be a sunlight allergy but then why do I get it in the winter when I wear long sleeves. Anyway, he told me the ingredients in Capsaicin actually work on the nerve receptors and will block the feeling. It worked for me anyway.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

[QUOTE=jsimertz1;3799325]I agree, Capsaicin does work. I went to my dermatologist a few weeks ago and they weren't sure at all what it was. Thought it might be a sunlight allergy but then why do I get it in the winter when I wear long sleeves. Anyway, he told me the ingredients in Capsaicin actually work on the nerve receptors and will block the feeling. It worked for me anyway.[/QUOTE]
I was told though it will come and go with weather changes too. I also had spots on my shoulders/back/chest from the sun and they itched so bad! I was given some pills to take and it made me so sensitive to the sun that I could not be in it. Anyway, I stay out of the sun for now but this rash on my forearms is "nerve" related as you know. I just hope people that have the same issue try CAPSAICIN. I read about so many people having the same problem as me and did not know what to do and went to Dr's and they did not know. I am glad I finally went and got this checked out. The burning sensation from the Capsaicin will go away after a few days they told me. It sure beats the severe itching I had!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #25
(male)

michael56 HB User

[QUOTE=carlaleealbert;3799170]CAPSAICIN. It is over the counter. I have itchy rash on forearms that gets worse the more you touch it. I went to the DR today and this is what he told me to get. It is actually a nerve problem you are having, not skin. This is why you dont see a rash on the skin. Check into CAPSAICIN please. You will be amazed![/QUOTE]
thanks for the tip . I have itchy arms now and have had it for 3 weeks . The longest period ever for me. I will go out today and buy some capsaicin and tell you later the results . Fingers crossed !

Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

[QUOTE=michael56;3800285]thanks for the tip . I have itchy arms now and have had it for 3 weeks . The longest period ever for me. I will go out today and buy some capsaicin and tell you later the results . Fingers crossed ![/QUOTE]
Good luck and I will be thinking of you. I know what it is like to itch like this and not to have a rash. I am glad I went to the Dr and never suspected that this was caused by my nerves but it makes sense I guess. The downside is the Capsaicin is really hot but my Dr claims this will subside after a few days. This is the 3rd day and I actually felt a little itching earlier and put more on it. The feeling from the med is like is like having a sunburn and then going back out in the sun while you still have sunburn. I am glad I dont have the itching anylonger (for now at least). Let me know how it works for you.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #27
(female)

jsimertz1 HB User

The burning did go away, at least for me. The first time I used it the reaction was pretty severe. Like you said a bad sunburn, but I also got some swelling and turned very red. The next day no swelling, third day no redness and then it became just a light heat sensation. Now it just immediately takes away the itch.

I hope more people who suffer from this will learn about capsaicin. I suffered for years, went to many doctors, spent hundreds of dollars on different lotions and potions and nothing helped. Plus most doctors seem to think it's just in your head. It's difficult to describe the horrible intense itch that can keep you awake for nights on end and kind of take over your life.

Good luck to you and hope it helps.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #28
(male)

michael56 HB User

Well I whent out and bought some capsaisin cream and guess what ? ....IT WORKS!!!!!
I cannot thank all those scratchers on this web site who have donated their ideas . What a relief! To think I have had this problem for years now and it was so easily solved .As you say I have a slight burning sensation , but hey , so what !A million thanks to all . I only hope more people see this and decide to do the same . Heres to itch free nights and days !

Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #29
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

[QUOTE=michael56;3802934]Well I whent out and bought some capsaisin cream and guess what ? ....IT WORKS!!!!!
I cannot thank all those scratchers on this web site who have donated their ideas . What a relief! To think I have had this problem for years now and it was so easily solved .As you say I have a slight burning sensation , but hey , so what !A million thanks to all . I only hope more people see this and decide to do the same . Heres to itch free nights and days ![/QUOTE]
I am glad it worked! That is terrific! I hope other people see it too! Good luck to you.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #30
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

It is normal for the first few day or so to have very red burning and almost swelling like symptoms from the Capsaicin. The DR did say that after a few days that will subside. I notice when I took a shower the area where I applied it was really hot. 12 hrs after I used it last I rubbed up against my husbands side and he actually had the burning sensation from the Capsaicin on him. What is weird is that I had not applied it to my skin for over 12hrs. That stuff is potent but it helps. This is safe to take every day for the rest of your life too. Not that you want to do that but it is nice to know. Not sure about all of you other people out there with this same itching issue but my Dr. said it is a nerve issue possibly steming from a whiplash accident years ago. At first when he asked me if I had ever had whiplash before I looked at him and thought to myself, another Dr who does not know what I have. From the whiplash, the nerves in my neck that go down my arms and are causing these symptoms. I dont get though why any of your Drs were not aware of this being a possibility? I used to live in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin and the Drs there were not very knowledgeable. I since moved to Madison, Wisconsin and it seems these Dr.s here know so much more. Years ago my Dr in FDL was treating my itchy problem on my forearms as if I had an allergy there having me put creams on my arms that were not safe to use for any period of time. Coincidentally my itching went away for several years and it now came back. I really thought my husband thought I was crazy when I told him about how severe the itching was and yet there was nothing on my arms to prove anything was wrong with me. Thank god he is very supportive and caring. I just really hope that my message gets out there to all those people who have the same itching as we do so they can get some type of relief! All of you people who read this should go back to their Dr.s with this information and set them straight. I feel bad that all of you have spend so much money on Dr. bills to not get any answers or relief. Please keep me posted on how everyone out there is doing with the Capsaicin.

Closed Thread