It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #31
(female)

radish1 HB User
Smile Re: painful itchy forearms without rash

Im so glad to find others with these symptoms - for the last 3 yrs now this has also affected me for a month or more at a time throughout the years. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction, maybe to woollen clothing or biological washing powder. However, I do not think this is the case now. As others have posted here, it can be debilitating at times, I often look like I have strange spasms as I try to avoid scratching but then it gets too much! The worst thing is the more you scratch the worse it gets!! I have been to a couple of doctors as now it is getting ridiculous - I often cry with frustration and feel like chopping my arms off! I was prescribed antihistamine tablets the 2nd time this happened to me and it seemed to work after a few days. However, this year I have now been itching, mostly my right upper arm up to my shoulder, and antihistamine/allergy relief has done nothing. As other seem to say, ice/cool water seems to be the only temporary relief. I felt I could not cope with this anymore so have been researching intently and have found this interesting link:
[url]http://www.dermnetnz.org/site-age-specific/brachioradial-pruritus.html[/url]
I am going to the chemist right now to try and find Capsaicin cream and will post a report shortly on if it seems to have any positive effect!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #32
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User
Re: painful itchy forearms without rash

[QUOTE=radish1;3809499]Im so glad to find others with these symptoms - for the last 3 yrs now this has also affected me for a month or more at a time throughout the years. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction, maybe to woollen clothing or biological washing powder. However, I do not think this is the case now. As others have posted here, it can be debilitating at times, I often look like I have strange spasms as I try to avoid scratching but then it gets too much! The worst thing is the more you scratch the worse it gets!! I have been to a couple of doctors as now it is getting ridiculous - I often cry with frustration and feel like chopping my arms off! I was prescribed antihistamine tablets the 2nd time this happened to me and it seemed to work after a few days. However, this year I have now been itching, mostly my right upper arm up to my shoulder, and antihistamine/allergy relief has done nothing. As other seem to say, ice/cool water seems to be the only temporary relief. I felt I could not cope with this anymore so have been researching intently and have found this interesting link:
[url]http://www.dermnetnz.org/site-age-specific/brachioradial-pruritus.html[/url]
I am going to the chemist right now to try and find Capsaicin cream and will post a report shortly on if it seems to have any positive effect![/QUOTE]
Hi, I hope the Capsaicin works for you. It did for me. I had to use it every day 2-3 time a day for about 1 1/2 weeks. You dont want to get that stuff on your hands then rub it in your eyes though so I used the stuff that came in a bottle so that when you applied it to your body it does not touch your hands. I also rubbed against my husband 4 hrs after I applied it and he got it on him even though this stuff was dried on my body so you have to be careful because it is hot. The good thing is that it really works. I stopped using this after 1 1/2 weeks. I am fine now. Thank god because the itching was horrible. My Dr too says the itching is probably from nerve damage. It can also be from arthritis he said but he thinks I am too old for that. Let me know if this works for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #33
(female)

sayword HB User

I too have suffered for at least five years with the "nerve itch", for me it only starts in the fall and will last till around February if I am lucky, I have tried just about everything ,I and my doctors (dermatologist, family doc. , physical thereapist etc.). I too had a significant whip lash in my teens ( I am now 57), I do believe this "itch" comes from my neck, therefore did P.T. (not helpful), what really confuses me is that my arms only itch in the fall. This year it has been really bad and mainly on my right arm. This "itch" is hard to talk about as no one really understands, and ice is the ONLY thing that has helped me, unfortunately the capsicum was not helpful. I have tried neuro meds like Neurontin and it only gave me side effects. I go everywhere with my ice, i sleep with a pack beside me, there are times where an attack will last 10 hours! I am so frustrated with what to do to help myself, maybe I will again try tx. for my neck. It is so good to hear that I am not alone and feeling crazy that I have this itch with no rash, I sometimes get red dots from scratching that run along the nerve line! Thank you for listening, from another nerve itcher

Last edited by sayword; 01-04-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #34
(female)

tlea4 HB User

[QUOTE=Marchmadness11;3754758]I have been afflicted with this painful arm burning and itching for 7 years. It seems to be seasonal - starting in September after summer and lasting 2-3 months. The pain and itching is worse at night and only relieved by ice packs. I have seen physicians and been prescribed topical creams, taken steroids and antihistamines but nothing relieves this debilitating problem. I believe it is triggered by sun exposure but only during this time of year. It seems to be nerve pain as it travels year to year from shoulders to forearms - possibly following a nerve. It affects both arms at the same spot each time. It is a burning, tingling, prickling type of pain and is only relieved by ice. I found others on this site who are afflicted with this pain - but ice seems to be the only remedy and I have found no real cause. I wonder if it affects females more than males and if others have found this to be seasonal. Because it causes sleepless nights, it has become debilitating over the years. At times I think that I am crazy because there is no rash or marks unless I claw myself during the night. I hope that one day I can find a cause and cure.[/QUOTE]
I have the exact problem and have had for 20 years. It is only on my left arm. It started on my forearm, but now even goes up to my shoulder. It is called Brachioradial Pruritus. There is an article by Adele Michaels about her condition. I tried everything she said but it did not work for me. I am now seeing a ciorpracter and found out that I have a deteriorating disc at L5 and were working on that right now. Ill keep everyone posted. I cant take this much longer. Im not sleeping and my arm is about clawed off. Ice packs are the only thing that helps.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #35
(female)

tlea4 HB User

[QUOTE=ss555;3770205]Hello Marchmaddness11,
I read with much interest your post. I am up in the middle of this night because of the exact problem you have. It is the reason for coming to this website. Everything you mention is like I wrote it. The weird thing is that I also have had this a number of years and does seem to be brought on with sun exposure. Two weeks ago I was at a soccer game and my left arm was in partial sun, the other arm shaded by a tree. That night the itching started and I'm having more and more episodes. It's going to drive me crazy. I have tried Benedryl cream on it and it doesn't help much. It seems to be internal for sure. Tonight when I awoke scratching my arms raw, I filled the sink with warm water and put in some Epsom salts, it helped a wee bit. Does anyone have any idea what causes it? I have a dermatologist appt. in Dec.!! but after reading these posts don't have much confidence it will be remedied.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #36
(female)

tlea4 HB User

Try the ciorpracter. I found that I had a deterorating disc at L5. I have had this for 20 years. only on my left arm. Sun dosent cause it. Although it can irritate it. I buy the Gel ice packs and keep 4 in the freezer at all times. It is all that works. I have this every year and it lasts 6 to 8 weeks at a time.Ive had it in September, Feburary, May, June , July...... no rime or reason. Im hoping these ciorp[ractic treatment are going to help. It is called Brachioradial Pruritus.

Last edited by tlea4; 09-24-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #37
(female)

laurie0313 HB User

I have had an itchy spot on the upper part of one of my legs...for 30 years. It used to bother me day and night but I think I got used to it and now it's most noticeable at night. I, too, would wake up scratching, even to the point of bleeding.

I have been to numerous dermatologists and they shrug their shoulders and say they don't know what it is. I have long thought it was a nerve problem but no one has ever considered this until the last dermatologist. She suggested capcaicin and I've been using it for three days. It still burns terribly, although there is no redness. Obviously, with this feeling, I don't dare scratch the itch because it would be quite painful. However, I still feel the itch under the burning. I'm assuming the burn is to trick the itch.??

Will this burning sensation go away? I'm supposed to apply 5x a day. It's nearly all the time, having clothing on it irritates it, and, as another writer said, taking a shower causes it to hurt even more. It feels like a third degree burn.

Any suggestions? I will call the doctor if this doesn't stop by tomorrow. Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #38
(male)

getsymbolic HB User

[QUOTE=Marchmadness11;3754758]I have been afflicted with this painful arm burning and itching for 7 years. It seems to be seasonal - starting in September after summer and lasting 2-3 months. The pain and itching is worse at night and only relieved by ice packs. I have seen physicians and been prescribed topical creams, taken steroids and antihistamines but nothing relieves this debilitating problem. I believe it is triggered by sun exposure but only during this time of year. It seems to be nerve pain as it travels year to year from shoulders to forearms - possibly following a nerve. It affects both arms at the same spot each time. It is a burning, tingling, prickling type of pain and is only relieved by ice. I found others on this site who are afflicted with this pain - but ice seems to be the only remedy and I have found no real cause. I wonder if it affects females more than males and if others have found this to be seasonal. Because it causes sleepless nights, it has become debilitating over the years. At times I think that I am crazy because there is no rash or marks unless I claw myself during the night. I hope that one day I can find a cause and cure.[/QUOTE]
I am a male and have been dealing with this as well. I have never taken notice of the seasonal aspect. This problem has just re occured mid September, so I will now follow its cycle. The best relief I have found, is to apply a thick layer of an over the counter cream called Calmoseptine and I then cut the toe out of a sock and put the sock on, to cover it. If you pick a cool sock and wear the heel at the elbow, it just might look good.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
(female)

itchyarms HB User

marchmadness11---well alrighty then....i have this same issue!!!!! this is the second summer that this is happening...it seems to start at the beginning of the summer, & is still going on now. it's mostly my shoulders & upper arms above the elbows. Until 3 weeks ago, mainly seemed to happen at night, around 10 or 11 pm. usually it kicks in really bad around 1 a.m, and i wake up scratching the hell out of my arms and i can't go back to sleep, until 5 or 6 am. i was trying to figure out if it was allergy to sun, self tanner ( i mistakenly used it at start of both summers, but all over my body so i can't figure out why just itching on my arms), caffeine, bacteria in the long island sound from swimming, stress or not drinking enough water..it feels like i have little fiberglass shards in my arms poking their way out of the skin really sharp and fast & it's worst just under my armpits, as well as along the tops of my shoulders. it travels down to elbows but not always so bad there. I am female, 43, in fairly good shape, a swimmer, and jogger who doesn't eat junk food or crap. valerian pills seem to help me get back to sleep at night, but not right away, and hot water showers help a little bit as well. cocobutter seems to help a bit, but the ithcing is from the inside, not topical from dry skin. i am going to an allergist when my health insurance is verified next week and will post as soon as i find out anything. this is horrible, but at least i know i am not crazy!!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #40
(female)

itchyarms HB User

p.s. i just read through all the posts...will try capsaicin tomorrow..but also.. just realized from what someone else said about whiplash- i was hit by a drunk dirver in september of 2007 and had to go to pt for over a year until the numbness in my legs started to go away...last summer was the first summer this happened to me, and it was also the first summer after the car accident. now this is the second summer. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until i read the post about whiplash ( i think from carlalee???). i will see if the x-rays or mri s from the accident show any disc damage. thank you soooo much for your posts...i can't believe i finally found something out. i'll post again when i have any results.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #41
(female)

carlaleealbert HB User

use capsaisin - it will work. I have the exact same issue and the dermatologist suggested that and he was right. I too had whiplash years ago - it is a nerve issue and this will come on and off all your life.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #42
(female)

shasa HB User

Well I have had the same problem,but it has only started 5 days ago.I was going to get beneyldril i hope that works. Good luck to you

Old 10-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #43
(male)

boogabear HB Userboogabear HB Userboogabear HB User

I have read these posts with intense interest. I have had seasonal itching for several years and doctors have told me it is dry skin and I shouldn't shower frequently (ug!) and use a lubriderm type product. That rarely helps much.
Itching began in my arches and calves then it began around my beltline. I suspected laundry soap. I went to 'free'. No change in anything. I had relief in the summer. Sun cannot play a part in my experience. Now that fall is upon us in PA itching began in earnest. Arches, calves and now for the first the neck and upper chest area. Itches day and night and of course awakes me at night. Creams do not help! Temporary relief is before leaving the shower, I use the wand and turn the hot water up and soak the affected areas. It stings. Immediately I turn on the cold water and douse the same areas. This will give relief enough to get to sleep and sometimes the entire night,. I also take a cold pack with me to relive any stubborn areas. I do not see anyone suspecting laundry soap. Does this play a part? Are there any products especially forumlated for us. My 'free' product does not say it is free of petroleum byproducts. .

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #44
(male)

boogabear HB Userboogabear HB Userboogabear HB User

Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #45
(female)

Cablegirl91 HB User

I am here with the same thing in hopes of some help!! I've read the first page and I thought I could have written this myself!! I am printing the rest off to read tonight (i am at work ughhhh) I'm so shocked to see that I am not alone in this! No one I know has this problem and I've been really frustrated with it.

Closed Thread