It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

Marchmadness11 HB User
painful itchy forearms without rash

I have been afflicted with this painful arm burning and itching for 7 years. It seems to be seasonal - starting in September after summer and lasting 2-3 months. The pain and itching is worse at night and only relieved by ice packs. I have seen physicians and been prescribed topical creams, taken steroids and antihistamines but nothing relieves this debilitating problem. I believe it is triggered by sun exposure but only during this time of year. It seems to be nerve pain as it travels year to year from shoulders to forearms - possibly following a nerve. It affects both arms at the same spot each time. It is a burning, tingling, *****ling type of pain and is only relieved by ice. I found others on this site who are afflicted with this pain - but ice seems to be the only remedy and I have found no real cause. I wonder if it affects females more than males and if others have found this to be seasonal. Because it causes sleepless nights, it has become debilitating over the years. At times I think that I am crazy because there is no rash or marks unless I claw myself during the night. I hope that one day I can find a cause and cure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marchmadness11 For This Useful Post:
gsweeney22 (12-28-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User
Re: painful itchy forearms without rash

I have the same thing on my inner thighs. It doesn't itch but stings and throbs. I went to five different dermatologists to no avail. They seem to put it in the eczema camp. But even though it's possible for older people to get this. It's hard to believe that so many adult are suddenly being afflicted with this horrible disease. I rarely wake up with the feeling and it bothers me the worst at mid day. I tried all kinds of steroids and nothing worked.
No rash no dryness just stinging.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
(female)

jsimertz1 HB User

Did you get any responses back that were helpful? I have been going through this for two years. No rash but extremely itching, burning sensation on both forearms. In fact it work me up tonight it was so bad. I will scratch in my sleep.

It does seem to help to put on a topical counter irritant such as joint creams with menthol.

I would love to find out what is causing this.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsimertz1 For This Useful Post:
gsweeney22 (12-28-2010)
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User
Cool Re: painful itchy forearms without rash

Have U had UR doctor do a complete blood work up on U? I had itching on the inside of my foreamrs and the a terrible itch developed in my lower legs (from knees to ankles) and if I got hot and sweaty itching came on me. After a talk with the family doctor; he did a full blood testing on me and I was immediately refered to a hematologist. Turned out I was polycythemic! Sure hope this is not UR case! THere are many more symtoms to polycythemia!
Good Luck and God Bless.
Randy

Old 10-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Potts, I've recently heard of something in the enzyme therepy area that is quite new to the U.S. but has been in about 5 other countries for up to 30yrs. There are all kinds of studies done.

There are name brands out there, but the base product is from the 'silk worm', this is what you want to look into further.

One of the fantastic things they found is that it cleans dead proteins from the blood. Like a blood purifiyer.

It's the substance that the silk worm makes that comes from the siliva that disovles their cocoon when their ready to hatch.

It does it great job of eating up fibers that we have in the body, scar tissues, inflammation(that is huge to get rid of any inflammation!)

I was just thinking it may be an excellent thing for you to check into, it's not suppose to interact with medications at all, even in high doses.

The warning is that if your a bleeder and on Vit K to treat it, You'll have to work with your doctor closely and watch for thinner blood or bleeds that don't stop easy.

Any one that takes this stops taking it 2 days before and after a surgery, then began taking it again and it helps inflammation.

There are post in some of the natural and vitamin boards to check out too. You know I'm thinking this is something that most people would benifit from. Good luck to you.
Diana

Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
(female)

jsimertz1 HB User

I have had a gluten test done to see if I had celiac and it came back negative, I do have thyroid disfunction and take levothyroxin for it. I also drink diet soda. I'm going to quit that and see if it helps. I have a dermatologist appointment at the end of the month and we'll see what he says but so far any doctor I've seen has just scratched their head and given me steroid cream or suggested I take oral prednisone to see if that will help. I'm going to a chiropractor as well because it's interesting that it's worse when I sleep, I'm thinking perhaps a nerve gets compressed while I'm laying down and it triggers the reaction.

Anyway, it truly is debilitating. I can't sleep because I wake up scratching and when I do fall asleep I'm dreaming of scratching.

I'll post if I find anything that helps.

Jill

Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User

[QUOTE=drs;3758177]Potts, I've recently heard of something in the enzyme therepy area that is quite new to the U.S. but has been in about 5 other countries for up to 30yrs. There are all kinds of studies done.

There are name brands out there, but the base product is from the 'silk worm', this is what you want to look into further.

One of the fantastic things they found is that it cleans dead proteins from the blood. Like a blood purifiyer.

It's the substance that the silk worm makes that comes from the siliva that disovles their cocoon when their ready to hatch.

It does it great job of eating up fibers that we have in the body, scar tissues, inflammation(that is huge to get rid of any inflammation!)

I was just thinking it may be an excellent thing for you to check into, it's not suppose to interact with medications at all, even in high doses.

The warning is that if your a bleeder and on Vit K to treat it, You'll have to work with your doctor closely and watch for thinner blood or bleeds that don't stop easy.

Any one that takes this stops taking it 2 days before and after a surgery, then began taking it again and it helps inflammation.

There are post in some of the natural and vitamin boards to check out too. You know I'm thinking this is something that most people would benifit from. Good luck to you.
Diana[/QUOTE]

Thanx Diane. Never heard of the 'Silk Worm" supplement. I'll research that and see what turns up. I'm 60 and was diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera in 2000; but symtoms started around 1994 and I didn't know what was causing them. THe worst symtom is extreme fatigue! THanx a lot! Randy P.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

If you respond on the other boards I'll probably respond over there. Good Luck RP

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
(female)

ss555 HB User

[QUOTE=Marchmadness11;3754758]I have been afflicted with this painful arm burning and itching for 7 years. It seems to be seasonal - starting in September after summer and lasting 2-3 months. The pain and itching is worse at night and only relieved by ice packs. I have seen physicians and been prescribed topical creams, taken steroids and antihistamines but nothing relieves this debilitating problem. I believe it is triggered by sun exposure but only during this time of year. It seems to be nerve pain as it travels year to year from shoulders to forearms - possibly following a nerve. It affects both arms at the same spot each time. It is a burning, tingling, *****ling type of pain and is only relieved by ice. I found others on this site who are afflicted with this pain - but ice seems to be the only remedy and I have found no real cause. I wonder if it affects females more than males and if others have found this to be seasonal. Because it causes sleepless nights, it has become debilitating over the years. At times I think that I am crazy because there is no rash or marks unless I claw myself during the night. I hope that one day I can find a cause and cure.[/QUOTE]
Hello Marchmaddness11,
I read with much interest your post. I am up in the middle of this night because of the exact problem you have. It is the reason for coming to this website. Everything you mention is like I wrote it. The weird thing is that I also have had this a number of years and does seem to be brought on with sun exposure. Two weeks ago I was at a soccer game and my left arm was in partial sun, the other arm shaded by a tree. That night the itching started and I'm having more and more episodes. It's going to drive me crazy. I have tried Benedryl cream on it and it doesn't help much. It seems to be internal for sure. Tonight when I awoke scratching my arms raw, I filled the sink with warm water and put in some Epsom salts, it helped a wee bit. Does anyone have any idea what causes it? I have a dermatologist appt. in Dec.!! but after reading these posts don't have much confidence it will be remedied.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
(female)

ss555 HB User

Dear Marchmadness11,
I wanted to let you know that quite by accident, I have discovered since the other night, that Epsom salt soaks are helping my arms, after soaking I am applying Lubriderm (new) intense skin repair body lotion. Even though, I like you, do not have a problem with dry skin on my arms. I had a good nights sleep last night and wanted to pass this on to you. I don't know if it truly worked or it was going to be a night that I wasn't going to claw myself. I'll keep trying and we'll see.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
(female)

jsimertz1 HB User

I also have posted here that I have the same wierd thing on both of my forearms. It definately keeps you awake all night, you wake up scratching and then can't go back to sleep because of the intense burning and itching. Anyway, someone posted that capsaicin helps. I got a bottle of the arthritis capsaicin lotion and put it on my arms. After two applications daily it hasn't returned for the past two weeks. Could be a coincidence, but I'm sleeping again.

Warning, capsaicin is STRONG. It burned the first time pretty strongly (although I felt it was better than the itching) and my arm was very hot, red and kind of swollen. The next time it only burned a little bit. It seems to counter irritate the nerves and definately relieves the itching. Also, do not touch your eyes after applying, even after washing my hands it was slightly there. I also use witch hazel on both arms and then apply aveeno anti itch lotion.

Good luck, and if anyone out there knows what this is, there are alot of people suffering with it and I for one would love to know if there is a real cure.

Jill

Old 10-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
(female)

ss555 HB User

Thank you Jill, any bit of advice is welcome.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #13
(female)

caroline42 HB User
Smile Re: painful itchy forearms without rash

yes i have the same problem but on a small bases. only on my right forarm the only thing that has helped is a medician my husband gave me from when he had prostrate operation..it is LIDOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE JELLY USP, 2%..and it does help a lot...i beleive it is an antibacterial jelly and it numbs the skin..so far we found that out by ourselves, when i run out of it i am going to have my dr. give me an rx for it..good luck

Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
(female)

ss555 HB User

Caroline42,

Isn't that weird, that, that medicine would help. Then again, it's just helping numb it so that you don't itch. I would love to know what this condition is, last night I spent time again itching. I got up and took a Benedryl and then "washed" my arms down with Epsom and then applied the Lubriderm. The Benedryl knocked me out, so I no longer itched. It's so frustrating, such an odd problem with no tell tale signs! Thanks for replying, maybe all together we'll find out the cause/cure.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
(female)

caroline42 HB User

hi, well it helps me alot don't know if my dr. will give me a rx for it but i will beg..i can't image what harm it will do to my arm i'm sure nothing..also he gave me an rx for fluocinonide 0.05%..but when i looked it up , it has some drawbacks i would rather stay with what i am using...it really is a problem...whatever it is?????

Closed Thread