It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
(male)

r0br0b HB User
Pityriasis rosea

I understand how rare this skin condition is, but I was wondering if anyone knows or had a run in with this before

I had a small herold patch (which at first I thought was ringworm) appear on my chest about 3 weeks ago. For the past 2 weeks, I have had tiny red bumps appear through my rib cage, stomach, and upper chest. I understand this to definitely be Pityriasis Rosea.

However, after googling it, none of the cases seem as mild as mine is. Although the herold patch and all of the dots look exactly like the ones online, it is not anywhere near as extreme.

My question is can there be mild forms of this skin disease? Has anyone had a mild case of this before?

Thanks in advance
Robbie

Old 10-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

fcsteacher HB User
Re: Pityriasis rosea

You asked if anyone has had a run with this before. I was diagnosed with it a little over a week ago and I AM MISERABLE!!!

Around the second week of September, I had what I thought was a bad cold or allergies just acting up. I had a sore throat, a cough and felt really tired. I had no fever so I didn't go to the doctor. A few days after I began feeling better I devolped this itchy red patch on my chest. I had just had student diagnosed with ringworm so I went to the school nurse. She didn't think it was ringworm.

It progressively got worse and spread to my stomach, back, and upper arms and legs. I went to the doctor on October 10th. He diagnosed it as Pityriasis Rosea. I have been on steroids since then and using creams and lotions. The hot water in the shower makes the itching worse as does when I sleep on my back or stomach for an extended amount of time. I have clawed myself half to death and my husband threatens to kick me out of the bed at night.

I hate to take off work, but I was thinking of seeing a dermatologist. Would this be a waste of time? I JUST WANT THE ITCHING TO STOP!!! Please excuse the outburst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

pbharris4 HB User
Re: Pityriasis rosea

To answer the OP question..yes. My 11 yr old daughter had a mild form. Her Dr. said it's from a virus or you get after a virus. She came home with a small red circle on her arm. I didn't think anything of it. A few days later it was larger like a quarter and then there was more rash, but not real bad. This went on for 2 weeks. Hers was on her back and truck..not real red and wasn't anything that would embarass her (she's in middle school so most stuff embarasses her). The Dr. may have given her some cream for itching, but he said it would last 6-8 weeks and it did. Dr. also said sometimes it's in a Christmas Tree type shape (the rash). It's spmething that just needs to run it's coarse. There may be some ointments to relive the itching, but it'll probably last the whole 6 weeks.

Closed Thread