It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
(male)

horrorus17 HB User
skin horror

About three weeks ago I broke out in a horrible, grotesque, systemic skin rash, the worst part affected being the groin. Scaly, itchy patches, inflamed, that drove me out of my mind. I went to my doctor, who exclaimed, "MY GOD!" He was totally alarmed and said this was "significant." He god me into a dermatologist the next day, who looked at it and said, "seborrheic dermatitis," which sounds mild enough. My doctor had done blood tests, no AIDS, no lupus, no diabetes, no anything really. The dermatologist did a biopsy, and the biopsy confirmed his verdict of "seborrheic dermatitis." He gave me sixty mg of prednisone, and some heavy duty steroid dream. I have been on the prednisone for about three weeks, and it is some potent drug. It knocked out most of the rash within a week, but scar tissue and scaly skin remain. As I tapered off, down to ten mg., some new "active" spots began to appear here and there, and horrible itch in anal area. Can that be dermatitis too? Or could it be fungal? The dermatologist didn't think fungal, but if so, why didn't the prednisone knock it out? No one knows what CAUSED the rash, but they cited stress, predisposition, dry skin, change of season, perhaps allergic. I, however, feel it is something else, not being a doctor. I've had off and on jock itch for about two years, and used anti-yeast medication plus anti-fungal. Sometimes it worked for a while, but the itch always came back, getting worse and worse, until finally the big flare up three weeks ago all over my body. Nothing much is left of the rash except for those few "active" red spots I mentioned above, but the anal itch persists and is horrible and miserable. Just yesterday the dermatologist, by phone, re-raised the prednisone to forty mg. I am using moisturizing cream for the dry skin, and an anti-fungal powder for the groin area, plus a cortisone cream for the groin area. ANybody have any idea what is going on? This is true misery. I am terrified that it is some ghastly disease that neither doctor has caught on to yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Horrorus17

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
(female)

skbrmom HB User
Re: skin horror

It sounds absolutely miserable and uncomfortable to say the least! Could it be diet related? I know when I ate a very high sugar diet ( loved chocolate, cakes, and pies, and so on!), I would get more yeast infections. I cut out most of the sugar and quit having so many infections. Maybe keep a food diary of every single thing you eat, and when your skin gets worse, look back on your diet and see if there is a pattern. Will loose fitting under clothes ( as in boxers instead of briefs ) help the air circulation and cut down on friction? I hope the doc can help you get rid of this!

Old 11-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

THanks so much for taking the time and having the compassion to answer. I am going to start a diet log, but I really don't think in my gut that it's diet. I eat dark chocolate all the time and have for years. I'm really not allergic to any foods that I know of. I know it's related peripherally to stress, change of season and dry sking, but that's only peripherally. Don't know what the real culprit is, neither did five other doctors who looked. Blood tests came back fine, so did biopsy. Head dermatologist says sometimes, for whatever reason, these skin things just explode all over. It's miserable, I tell you. I see doc again on Monday afternoon, so I hope more will be learned. This prednisone drags me down, way down. And it lowers your immunity. Man, what a time this is. Again, thanks and peace to you and God bless you. H

Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

joansartiers HB User

Prednisolone is not an antifungal medication. It helps with inflammation, which is what you are experiencing on your skin. Dermatitis is very annoying, but as long as you keep it under control, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you use a natural washing detergent for your clothes and bed sheets, a frangrance free wash or soap and you can also purchased medication shampoos and conditioners from pharmacies. You can also use calamine lotion and pinetarsol solutions to soak in the bath which will help to reduce any swelling or itchyness. Antihistamines are also good to take for the itchyness.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

thanks for the advice. I need all I can get. But can there be an underlying fungal or yeast catalyst that sets off the rash? I'm no doctor, but I feel the jock itch part that came first is not just dermatitis. Or could it be? ANy help appreciated.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

joansartiers HB User

it could be an infection under the skin and there may be something setting it off but at this point i don't know. you need to go back to the doctor for a proper and thorough checkup again

Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

If it's a fungal yeast infection they make a pill called diflucan for fungal infections. I've had a couple vaginal yeast infections that would not go away with the over the counter yeast infection treatments but just a few diflucan pills wiped it out. The prednisone will not get rid of it if you are dealing with a yeast infection it will just mask the symptoms. Like someone already mentioned the prednisone is not an anti-fungal treatment it's a steroid anti-inflammitory. I agree with the other poster to go to the doctor again to have them check it out. Maybe find a different doctor and get a second opinion.

Last edited by Kari7171; 11-11-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

thanks, I fear I will be going to the docs for quite a while with this. I went yesterday, and the diagnosis and biopsy still show only seborrhea dermatitis with some psoriasis mixed in. Deep down, though I'm no doctor, I too feel something must have set it off, something like fungal or yeast, but the first order of the day was to get rid of that inflammation, which was EVERYWHERE.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

my dermatologist has one of best reputations in the state, but I do agree I will probably seek a second opinion once all the inflammation and psoriasis calm down, if ever. I mean, they did blood, urine tests, and biopsy. WOuld not those have indicated an infection? Or yeast? Or fungus? How else could you tell? If you know the answers to that, please pass on to me. THe whole thing is very mysterious. I personally believe it started out as jock itch which NO anti fungal or yeast medicine ever cured. And I tried them ALL. FOr over a year. So that tells me it was NOT fungal or yeast. Dermatogist says seborrheic dermatitis has exactly the characteristics he examined, and that the biopsy showed. SO what am I to do? I thank you so much for information conveyed.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Yes a biopsy should have shown if it were yeast or something. If it were me I'd see if the doctor would give me the diflucan anyway. When I went in I tested negative for yeast but the diflucan got rid of the problem so there was some underlying yeast causing the problem. It may not be that at all with you but if you took the medication and it didn't help then you would know for sure. Just an idea I'm no doctor or anything that was just my experience. Mine did not spread to any other part of my body though.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
(male)

skinnyboy HB User

I have exactly what you have going on right now too. I've ALWAYS had very sensitive skin. My doctor dignosed me long ago with Psoriasis but I'm not sure that's what I've got. ie... if I have an itch I scratch it and it welts up really bad for about 10 minutes and goes away. It's bizarre. But lately I'm getting itchy all over my body and it's especially bad right now. It seems to be really bad on the wrists and hands. I really think it has to do with the sudden change in climate. I think the lack of humidity is doing a number on my skin and then that makes it more apt to be easily irritated by detergents, fabrics and sweat even. What I'm doing that helps a bit to soothe is oatmeal baths. They're fantastic, but the benefits only felt for a few hours and then the itching comes back. SOOOO frustrating. I'm seeing my doctor in 10 days but I don't know if I can wait that long. Ugh... you know my doctor once told me that skin problems alone are very hard to diagnose b/c you have to eliminate all the disease possibilities first through various tests and then if there are none it's kind of like your skin just has a mind of it's own and you just treat it with anti-itch steroidal creams. I've had to take prednisone b4 and it sucks. Try not to take pills to treat the skin. I've always had bad side effect from oral steroids (ie... "moon face", change in mood, nausea). Anyway just thought I'd empathize a bit and if anyone has any ideas about my issues lemme know! Thanks ya'll.
Peace.
skby

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

Thanks, I wish the horror on no one, but it's comforting to know you're not alone. My rash is pretty much gone except for certain spots, and I weaning off the prednisone. I've read that sometimes going OFF the drug causes a flare up again. I despair of getting rid of it for good. I've always been prone to dry skin, hives, a few rashes here and there, but THIS THING was unbelievably bad. The blood tests and biopsy show only seborrehic dermatitis, but I have a hard time believing that, so I guess it's just wait and see. I too have done the oatmeal baths, and it was good, but this particular RASH require much more potent medication than oatmeal. So consider yourself lucky on that score. I began to do research on rashes, and the implications are so grotesque, I gave up on it. So I'll just put myself in the hands of the doctors and assume they know what they're talking about. Take care of yourself,and thanks for the compassion. KEEP MOIST! Except of course in the groin area, where you have to stay DRY. So freaking weird, all of it. Peace.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

thanks for this tip, I will ask doc about it. Rash mostly gone, but some spots still persist. I have a hunch there is yeast or fungus involved, but what do I know? Seems the tests would have shown that. Thanks for the compassion and information.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
(female)

skbrmom HB User

I was just wondering if over the counter sprays such a Tinactin ( an antifungal spray) would help you on those hard to heal spots? I think I would try spraying just a tiny area and see what happens. I am glad the mess is calming down some.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
(male)

horrorus17 HB User

I know I've had this for at least a year, and it just exploded all over a month ago. I tried EVERY antifungal and antiyeast product on the market, over the counter. Nothing worked, maybe for a while, then it came back. THus far only the prednisone and prescription steroid creams work, and when I go off them, I fear another explosion. I plan to ask the dermatolgist a LOT of questions about fungus, yeast, etc, when I see him on Monday. THus far, the thing seems confirmed combo of seborrhea, dermatis and psoriasis, all of which are related. Never thought such seeming minor condition s could get so horrible. But I do have this hunch there's underlying fungal thing somewhere, which I used to think was jock itch. Thanks again for the compassion. You feel very ALONE when you get something like this.

Closed Thread