It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

Misty05 HB User
Possible Allergic Reaction To Toothpaste

PLEASE HELP....

For the last couple of months I have been getting a burning sensation in my top lip which is quite painful. After that subsides the skin on my top lip starts to crack/peel off which is not very attractive and my lip remains a very red colour like it has been burnt! Vaseline and Blistex relieve my lips but the dryness takes quite a long time to heal. When I haven't got any vaseline on I find it very difficult not to lick my lips as they feel so sore which is the worst thing to do I know.

The other morning I brushed my teeth as normal and the symptons came on straight away. The only thing that I can think burnt my top lip is my toothpaste which is:

[B]Aquafresh Extreme Clean Whitening [/B]

For the past few months I have been using a whitening toothpaste of some brand. Could this be the cause of my dry painful lips? Could I be having an allergic reaction to one of the ingrediants?

Has anyone else experienced these symptons?

I'm off to the shops tomorrow to buy a sensitive or organic toothpaste to see if this helps!!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
(female)

deweyswamper HB User
Re: Possible Allergic Reaction To Toothpaste

Hello,
I was wondering how your condition ended up after you quite the toothpaste? Your posting is almost exactly how I would explain what has been happening to my lips for 4 months!!! The red burn affect is horrible. I got off toothpaste yesterday after reading your post. I've just been using baking soda. I'm so hoping this will cure me. If this was the cause of your problem, what are you using now for toothpaste? I hope your better and would appreciate any feedback you may have. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

pepichek HB User

A few months after I started using Aquafresh Extreme clean, I began to develop acne. I used it for almost a year and my acne continued to worsen. All my acne marks were around my mouth and on my cheeks... one day while i was brushing my teeth I suddenly put 2 and 2 together... and though... HM, I wonder if the toothpaste is what's causing this. So i switched and my acne has disappeared. Last week I was staying at a hotel, and only had that toothpaste available to me... I used it, and low and behold my face broke out. Now I am wondering what is in it that I could be allergic to..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
(female)

peppiecomic HB User

I have the same thing w/ aquafresh extra white!!! The corners of my mouth would become dry and cracked. I seem to have sensitivity to most whitening toothpastes, as well as anything w/ baking soda added. I can do over-the-counter baking soda just fine, its just for some reason the way the companies add it in wreak havoc on those corners of my mouth

I first started getting rashes about the 7th grade, my dr couldn't figure out what was going on and neither could I. It would get red off and on, it spread all across my chin and I actually lost pigmentation on my whole chin area (I'm a caramel complected black woman so it was REALLY obvious). The dr. tried different hydrocortisones, then finally "fluocinone" seemed to do the trick. It took about 7 months of treatment for my skin to be restored. As I got older I began to see the correlation between diff types of toothpaste and my skin reaction

these days I try to keep my toothpaste as bland as possible. seems as if they all have whitening and other additional ingredients in toothpastes these days. If I get too confused I'll just go with an old brand, like pepsodent. I also noticed I'm more prone to a rash breakout when under a lot of stress and not taking care of my body as usual

Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
(female)

binkas HB User

[QUOTE=Misty05;3790230]PLEASE HELP....

For the last couple of months I have been getting a burning sensation in my top lip which is quite painful. After that subsides the skin on my top lip starts to crack/peel off which is not very attractive and my lip remains a very red colour like it has been burnt! Vaseline and Blistex relieve my lips but the dryness takes quite a long time to heal. When I haven't got any vaseline on I find it very difficult not to lick my lips as they feel so sore which is the worst thing to do I know.

The other morning I brushed my teeth as normal and the symptons came on straight away. The only thing that I can think burnt my top lip is my toothpaste which is:

[B]Aquafresh Extreme Clean Whitening [/B]

For the past few months I have been using a whitening toothpaste of some brand. Could this be the cause of my dry painful lips? Could I be having an allergic reaction to one of the ingrediants?

Has anyone else experienced these symptons?

I'm off to the shops tomorrow to buy a sensitive or organic toothpaste to see if this helps!![/QUOTE]

Hi there

I have recently had really dry, burning, occasionally swollen and sore lips too. It was driving me crazy and no amount of moisturising would help. I go to a great chiropractor in Sydney, Australia, Gina Martins. Gina is also a natural therapist, incorporating kinesiology and homoeopathics, vitamins etc. Gina tested me with kinesiology and it came up that I was suffering a virus. She prescribed homoeopathic drops for virus. 3 drop 3 x day for 3 days then 6 drops 3 x day for 3 days then 9 drops, 3 x per day until the bottle was finished. The homoeopathic she gave me is from Deseret Biologicals Inc. Virus 25 mls oral liquid - homoeopathic detox. See if you can find where to buy near to you. I can't se any other contact details on the bottle as Gina put her practice label over the top. After about 3 weeks my lips feel back to normal after months of burning and dryness. I hardly even need lip balm now, maybe just once per day. I hope others will read this and try it too. If changing toothpaste doesn't help, you might want try homoeopathics. All the very best

Closed Thread