It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
(male)

carlm HB User
Recurring staph infection on legs

I'm a 58 yr. old male and have had eczema my entire life but have managed it fairly well with topical steroids. Over the past 5 years I've had a recurring bouts of staph that are vicious. First Cephalexin worked OK but shortly after my last dose the staph would come back. Multiple culture and sensitivity tests showed a resistance so we moved up to Cipro. Same deal. It works until a few days after my last dose and right back again. I'm reactive to sulfa drugs which cause me to break out so I can't take Bactrin DS. I was told to take diluted Clorox baths 3x per week but my skin doesn't handle chlorine at all. I use Bactroban in my nostrils at night. I've been told the staph isn't MRSA or VRSA but is showing resistance to lower level antibiotics.

So, I'm trying other approachs and am always on the look for anything that others have used that could work. Now I spray colloidal silver solution on my legs before I shower. Then, I use natural olive oil soap and Hibiclens solution to wash and rinse. I spray more colloidal silver solution on the skin and then use a liberal amount of Aquaphor/Eucerin cream to moisturize.

I also take Olive leaf extract tabels, Oregano oil, deoderized garlic tablets, Ester C tablets among other natural supplements. I also use a device sold at Sapphora called ThermaClear which applies a directed shot of heat to the skin lesions. At best I'm holding my own but not really clearing. I do notice that if I eat a lot of suger the situation gets worse so I'm avoiding that now. If anyone has any advice please pass it along. Every day I face more pus filled lesions that remind me of acne vulgarus. When they finally heal, the sore is replaced by black and blue marks that last weeks. My legs are peppered with either new sores or bruise colored spots where the old ones once were. I'm frustrated and angry that my board certified dermatologists aren't being more help. I've been to 2 now with same results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
(female)

oneonpitch HB User
Re: Recurring staph infection on legs

I have the same problem as you, eczema gone awry and staph infections are popping up on my extremities. I have also dealt with four episodes of cellulitis on my stomach. I'm very scared of the cellulitis, don't want to end up in the hospital with sepsis. I can certainly empathize with your plight.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Soap and Hibiclens are incompatible - soap will stop hibiclens being able to kill bacteria, so mame sure that you dont use soap on the areas you are going to wash with hibiclens.

Make sure you leave the hibiclens on the skin for 30 seconds before you rinse it off.

Make sure you use it on the armpits and around your genitals and backside - these areas often carry a lot of staph.

Using a triple antibiotic ointment in the nose twice a day for a two weeks or so can help eradicate staph that live there (this is a common place for staph to hide) smear it around the inside of the nose with a cotton bud, then squeze the nostrils together to make sure you have covered everything.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
(male)

Humphriesp HB User

sounds like diabetes.

Closed Thread