It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

si50 HB User
red itchy eyelid (ONE eye only)

Hi,
for the last year or so I have had a strange problem with my left eyelid - the crease part of the upper lid swells up (I can see a "pocket" swollen with fluid -that's the only way I can describe it) so that it reaches all the way to my upper lashes (normally the whole part of the upper eyelid over the eyeball is visible). In a day the part that was swollen becomes reddish right above the crease and itches, in the next two-three days it becomes scaley and dry. The whole thing happens ONLY on the left eyelid, never on the right one. I saw an ophtalmologist a year ago, he said I was allergic to eye cream, should use Cetaphil instead, put cortisone ointment and prescribed Patanol drops. I followed the directions, the problem subsided, and after several weeks came back, again on the left only. In the meantime, I stayed away from any eye creams and only used Cetaphil or nothing at all. And it's been like this, off an on all the time. I did not use any eye make up at the time. Several months ago I started using make up again, had no problems, and then out of the blue, again, my left eyelid got swollen, then red, then itchy and then scaley. The skin on my eyelid is so stretched now that even when it's not swollen, it droops over my eyelashes. I went to see an ophtalmologist again recently, but this time I was told to sleep on my back, lol. Was he a real doctor or what???? It's a shame how some doctors are, you feel like you're just wasting time and money.

I started looking for solutions online, came across this board and started following the advice I found - wash my eyelids with SteriLid by TheraTears and put Eucerin ointment. It seemed to help at first, I was thrilled for a week, and then again, after five days of my therapy, last Saturday I woke up with the left eyelid swollen, the part right above the crease reddish and itchy, same on Sunday, and today, Monday, it's still itchy and scaley. I am also feeling pressure on my left eyeball from the top, like coming right from the part where the eyelid becomes red. Please, someone help!!!! I am going crazy with this. It seems putting away eye creams does nothing at all - I get this thing with no cream at all. HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
(female)

Lawana HB User
Re: red itchy eyelid (ONE eye only)

I see it has been some time since you had the eye trouble. I also have gone through this reoccuring eye scaling. I decide to try the supplement Lycene as it works for cold sores and says it improves thin tissues. I felt it significantly helped me. Maybe it is worth a try for you. It can be bought at a drugstore in generic form too, pretty reasonably priced. I also tried an allergy eye drop. I'll have to get the name for you.

Last edited by Lawana; 02-11-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo and additions

The Following User Says Thank You to Lawana For This Useful Post:
peachykool (07-18-2011)
Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

sjlamar HB User

[QUOTE=Lawana;3881943]I see it has been some time since you had the eye trouble. I also have gone through this reoccuring eye scaling. I decide to try the supplement Lycene as it works for cold sores and says it improves thin tissues. I felt it significantly helped me. Maybe it is worth a try for you. It can be bought at a drugstore in generic form too, pretty reasonably priced. I also tried an allergy eye drop. I'll have to get the name for you.[/QUOTE]

I have been dealing with red, swollen, itchy, flaky, eyelids for a couple months now. Went to dermatol., who of course prescribed hydrocortisone ointment. Got some relief, but not much. Then changed all make-up and brushes. Cleared up for a couple days, then came back raging. It was depressing. Then I prayed, and asked God to show me what it is..you know, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack! A day or two later, I was telling a friend about my eye problem (it was obvious, at least to me). She said, "honey, you are eating something you shouldn't be...are you eating strawberries?" YES...I make fresh smoothies, eat them fresh, on and on. They're in season in January (Florida strawberries), then later from California. I have since cut out strawberries, and am ecstatic to report that it is disappearing! Never had a problem with strawberries before! Incidentally, my mother had the same eye problem, only 10 times worse. She cut out all berries just to be sure, and she is clearing up as well. Whatever you do...don't keep using cortisone ointments. You will permanently damage that tender skin around your eyes! Good luck and God Bless!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

Sasham HB User

sjlamar,
Once you cut out the strawberries from you diet, how
long before you noticed an improvement?
Also, how long for your mother?

This might be something my mother should try.
She has strawberries most every day.
Perhaps they are the culprit for her itchy eyelids.

Thanks so much!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

sjlamar HB User

[QUOTE=Sasham;4036065]sjlamar,

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

UPDATE: Same thing that happened to you...it cleared up for a few days, then whammo... back again - my mom too! I'm not as bad...but it does itch - and is dry and flaky. A friend was saying that when we're stressed (emotionally, physically) our bodies sometimes go into hyperreactive mode - acting "allergic" to things we normally aren't - the result of adrenal glands working overtime. I don't know. It's crazy. I do think that right now, I have to be very careful about what I eat. Lay off of wheat and sugar - basically stick to vegetables and meats - until my body balances again. Any other ideas?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
(female)

sjlamar HB User

[QUOTE=Sasham;4036065]sjlamar,

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

ONE MORE THING: as a general rule, we should be rotating our foods in and out of our diets. We can develop allergies to things we eat every day. Maybe suggest your mom stop eating strawberries for a while and see if she improves. If she does, then maybe she can add them back in, but not everyday.

Closed Thread