It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

NinjaMouse HB User
Nodules around joints

I've had this problem for years and no-one seems to know what it is, so was hoping to get some pointers online.

Every so often, I get small nodules around my joints- depending on the severity of the attack, they start on my forefingers and/or thumbs before sometimes spreading to the joints on other fingers. I will sometimes also get them on my toes, starting from my big toe and occasionally spreading to my other toes. I get them on my fingers most often, and toes only about 1 in 5 times.

The nodules are around 0.5mm to 1mm big and will remain for anything from half a day to a week and a half. Sometimes I'll only get one or two nodules per finger, sometims they will cluster into as many as 15 per finger.

There is no fluid in them - the best way to describe them is they are like an insect bite in that they are raised and do not depress when you run a finger over them. The nodules are red, raised and sore to the touch. They are also slightly itchy if they get knocked. They are a pain because they are on the joints so any movement of the fingers aggrevates them. At the moment, I have a couple on the underside joint of the big toe, making walking painful.

I have seen two GPs, neither of whom have a clue. My second GP referred me to a dermotologist at the hospital, who failed to give me an appointment. At the same time as ordering this, I had bloods taken and it shows I have a raised level of anti-nucleods (??) in my blood so I was referred off to a rhemotologist instead.

The rhemotologist has no clue (although it's not entirely his fault - I never have the damn things on my fingers whenever I see him, so he's only seen photos). First, he tried strong antihistamines but these didn't help. I've tested negative for Raynauds (sp?) although I am always freezing cold and am as cold, if not colder, than most Raynauds patients (according to the guy who did the tests). My rhemotologist then put me on high blood pressure pills to see if they would a) warm me up and b) stop the nodules - they didn't work except to make me feel permanently sick and dizzy, so these have now been stopped. My rheumotologist has even asked me if I've been online to see if I can work out what's wrong! (I've searched and can't find anything)

I've kept a diary and there are no patterns - sometimes I'll have an attack every week, or I can go for months without getting any. I can see no foods or external influences that can have caused this.

Has anyone got any ideas or pointers as to what I can look for to help me work out what I've got?? (and apologies for the extraordinarily long first post!!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

d3sire HB User
Re: Nodules around joints

[QUOTE=NinjaMouse;3833868]There is no fluid in them - the best way to describe them is they are like an insect bite in that they are raised and do not depress when you run a finger over them. The nodules are red, raised and sore to the touch. They are also slightly itchy if they get knocked. They are a pain because they are on the joints so any movement of the fingers aggrevates them.[/QUOTE]

I get this on & off again on my right hand, middle finger, middle joint. Sometimes I will have so many at one time that it looks like one huge lump on my finger, other times I only have a couple. It is always in the same place. If I bump them, they sting & are usually quite itchy. Even just running my fingers over them is painful, especially when I have a large cluster of them. There was a point when I probably had about 20 of them at one time which lasted a few months. I first started getting them around the age of 18. I went to my family doctor who told me that they are called Bouchard's nodes. They are rare in younger people. He also told me that they seem to be genetic. I later found out that my great grandmother used to get them on the joints on the backs of her hands. He told me that if they got debilitating that they could operate and remove them but they are likely to return later. I never opted to operate and have just coped with them appearing off & on again. I haven't had any for some time now. I haven't been able to pinpoint any rhyme or rhythm to their appearance either. Your doctor has never mentioned Bouchard's nodes to you?? Try looking them up in a search engine, there are pictures, does it look similar to what you have? What you described sounds exactally like what I have.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

NinjaMouse HB User

I think these look slightly larger than what I'm getting, however thank you for the suggestion

I actually think some of the things on my toes are chilblains - I'm not sure if all the skin problems I've had are chilblains or not though....I would have thought that at least one of the health professionals I've seen would have been able to diagnose chilblains as they appear to be quite a common problem!

Driving me mad at the moment though - they have been so painful I can barely walk, and they've been constantly present since before Xmas

Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
(female)

bradjenn HB User

[QUOTE=NinjaMouse;3833868]I've had this problem for years and no-one seems to know what it is, so was hoping to get some pointers online.

Every so often, I get small nodules around my joints- depending on the severity of the attack, they start on my forefingers and/or thumbs before sometimes spreading to the joints on other fingers. I will sometimes also get them on my toes, starting from my big toe and occasionally spreading to my other toes. I get them on my fingers most often, and toes only about 1 in 5 times.

The nodules are around 0.5mm to 1mm big and will remain for anything from half a day to a week and a half. Sometimes I'll only get one or two nodules per finger, sometims they will cluster into as many as 15 per finger.

There is no fluid in them - the best way to describe them is they are like an insect bite in that they are raised and do not depress when you run a finger over them. The nodules are red, raised and sore to the touch. They are also slightly itchy if they get knocked. They are a pain because they are on the joints so any movement of the fingers aggrevates them. At the moment, I have a couple on the underside joint of the big toe, making walking painful.

I have seen two GPs, neither of whom have a clue. My second GP referred me to a dermotologist at the hospital, who failed to give me an appointment. At the same time as ordering this, I had bloods taken and it shows I have a raised level of anti-nucleods (??) in my blood so I was referred off to a rhemotologist instead.

The rhemotologist has no clue (although it's not entirely his fault - I never have the damn things on my fingers whenever I see him, so he's only seen photos). First, he tried strong antihistamines but these didn't help. I've tested negative for Raynauds (sp?) although I am always freezing cold and am as cold, if not colder, than most Raynauds patients (according to the guy who did the tests). My rhemotologist then put me on high blood pressure pills to see if they would a) warm me up and b) stop the nodules - they didn't work except to make me feel permanently sick and dizzy, so these have now been stopped. My rheumotologist has even asked me if I've been online to see if I can work out what's wrong! (I've searched and can't find anything)

I've kept a diary and there are no patterns - sometimes I'll have an attack every week, or I can go for months without getting any. I can see no foods or external influences that can have caused this.

Has anyone got any ideas or pointers as to what I can look for to help me work out what I've got?? (and apologies for the extraordinarily long first post!!)[/QUOTE]

Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
(female)

bradjenn HB User

Nodules can be related to Sarcoidosis, has the Dermatologist taken a biopsy too rule that out, they do last longer than about a week, but the way you are describing them I think you should find out. BJ

Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
(female)

suecohen HB User

I have the exact same symptoms as you and the doctors have given me the same treatments, but no success. I note your post was two years ago. Have you found a cure or diagnosis for your finger nodules? Thank you for any help. Sue

Closed Thread