It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
(male)

JAF007 HB User
Possible Wrong Diagnosis from GP - red patches on scalp.

Hi there, first time poster here and hoping to get some advice.

I am 28 (male) and recently went to the doctors about a skin problem (scalp)
which was a number of reddish, very slightly scaly patches on my scalp, hair grows freely over these patches, there is no itching, or irritation, just can get ever so slightly scaly if left with no treatment.

I first noticed one patch around 7 months ago, yet only approached my GP recently as after shaving my head, I noticed more patches, but to be honest I had forgot about them as my hair was long and there was no symptoms of anything wrong, apart from the visual appearance which I could only notice when hair was very short.

The doctor only done a visual inspection and said it was tinea capitis, now I have been using the treatment she gave me for it, which is Clotrimazole, yet it doesn't seem to do anything, and I am concerned that I haven't been diagnosed correctly, as from reading online, tinea capitis is extremely rare in adults, and caught mainly from farm animals, children - I don't come into contact with any animals or children.

Can I also add, she said I had a mild case of psoriasis on the outside of my right ear, and within my left ear, areas which had flakiness (which is correct).

Could it be a case that the patches on my scalp are a mild case of psoriasis?

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what these patches could be? and how should I approach my GP, without causing any offence or sounding rude, if I am to question their initial opinion.

Last edited by JAF007; 02-21-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

summerblue HB User
Re: Possible Wrong Diagnosis from GP - red patches on scalp.

It sounds like Psorasis to me. I have Psorasis on my scalp and it is exactly like you say you have. Try not picking at them and use a shampoo for Psorasis or Dry scalp. I have been using Coconut Oil on my scalp once a week and it has been helping also. Go to a Dermotologist or see another Doctor than the one you've seen. Don't feel bad questioning the Doctor about your health. Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
(male)

JAF007 HB User

Summer, thanks for the reply.

Went to the doctors today (saw another doctor) and the first Diagnosis was incorrect, and I actually have seborrhoeic dermatitis, and they have prescribed me a shampoo for the scalp, and a cream for the areas around the ear.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
(female)

summerblue HB User

Glad to hear you found out what you have. Good luck to you.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

kittykat18 HB User

My boyfriend has the same thing, but we don't know what to do about them any suggestions would be nice lol

Old 02-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
(male)

JAF007 HB User

kittykat18 - tell your boyfriend to go to the doctor, but insist on a proper diagnosis, not just a visual one, as Tinea Capitis, Psorasis & seborrhoeic dermatitis can all share similar symptoms, especially as the appearance can vary depending on if the infection/problem is mild or severe.

Closed Thread