It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

nls9191 HB User
adult onset eczema?

Hi, I am 22 years old and recently went to the dermatologist for an itchy rash i had underneath both of my eyes. I was told I have atopic eczema. From my research it seems taht this condition commonly develops in infancy-- what would cause me to develop this in adulthood? Thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
(male)

willy856 HB User
Re: adult onset eczema?

Most of the literature that you read about eczema suggests that it affects infants, children an occasionally an adult that had it as a child. But it seems that the scientists and doctors were either 100% wrong or there is a massive amount of adults that just developed eczema. If you go onto any medical site you will notice hundreds of adults that are suffering with eczema for the first time in their life. I went to several dermatologists, some said eczema, stress, allergies, yeast and other maladies. I am still not sure what is plaguing me. But I read allot of information on eczema.
It is possible that you have adult onset eczema. But according to all the so called professionals it typically affects the inside of elbows, knees or neck.
When adults get it it's not supposed to be as severe as when children get it.
Though I have talked with so many people that claim it is destroying their life. I get stressed out just worrying about the future of my skin. I am in construction so my skin is exposed to extremes.
sorry for rambiling, not much of a writer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
(female)

vicksetr HB User

HI,

I never had eczema as a child but developed it after I had my second baby. I get it on the insides of my elbows as is typical but worst on my hands - so bad they have become infected and swelled up to twice the size on occassions. Yours really doesn't sound like eczema because it's under your eyes - have you ruled out anything else that may be causing it - I don't think you state whether you are male or female but it could be creams, make up etc? I know someone who has eczema all over his body including his face but he has had it all his life and it is not just confined to one smalll region. Sorry I can't be of more help - I hope it clears up soon x

Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
(female)

memp HB User

Hi, I have been dealing with atopical dermatitis (i.e., eczema) since 1995, when I went into full-blown menopause. It is triggered by specific negative stressors, in conjunction with allergens; for me, that is sick building syndrome; or dirty environments; forced-air buildings, etc. And then I become hyper-reactive, because, once you are in a reactive state, anything and everything can affect you. Extreme hot and cold temps are real antagonists for me. And, it's all on my face! It starts as two small spots under my eyes ( I'm sure it must have something to do with my sinises)and then progresses until it covers much of my face. I've been to many Doctors, and Dermatologists, who don't seem a bit concerned about it, other than the fact that it is hideous and ruining my life; I am given a super B-12 shot, and the worse steroid on the market (fluticascone; DON'T USE IT IN ANY FORM) that can give you liver disease, effect you adrenals, and many other life-threatening "side-effects". So, I have been doing my own studying researching, and have learned so much. Your Central Nervous System's health is so important to the rest of your body's functions. When a person is dealing with a "chronic" condition, the ph levels are completely thrown off, and will not right itself on it's own; so in order to rid yourself of any "chronic" ailment, you must rid yourself of free radical toxins, and then get your ph levels back to 7.0, which is the correct level for most living creatures, including Humans. Get rid of those stressors that are triggering your body to react negatively; in other words, chill-out! I know it is usually easier said than done, but it's imperative that you get to the real reason that you are having to deal with your eczema, not just treat the rash, because it will keep reoccuring until you do, and wear down your autoimmune system, and probably create worse problems in the future. In the past, My condition has even developed into anthrolaptic (not sure of the spelling) shock,which is life-threatening Thank God that you are so young, and can change your health for the better easier and without (hopefully) any long-term damage, than like me, and wait to do something after it's been going on for a while; because I know know that the anxieties, and nervous problems were there many years before the eczema showed up! Trust me, sweetie, nothing is too big to overcome, or worth jeopardizing your health for! Get to know your body, and the unique and very special way that God created YOU, and God Bless you.
Also, I have found out that it does make a huge difference what skin care products you use, as m,any of them are full of junk, and can at least antagonize, if not cause an episode.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

Elaine12 HB User

HI,
This adult on set of eczema isn't a new thing and going by the many posts i have read doesn't seem to differ from adults that have had eczema from birth. I've had it from birth and i'm well into my 30's. The methods that long term suffers use to ease eczema can also be used by those who develope it latter in life. Eczema is a difficult skin problem to deal with but especially as many Doctors don't seem to know exactly what causes it let alone how to prevent it. But my advice is do not give up, keep looking for works best for you!

Last edited by Elaine12; 04-17-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
(female)

jillzii HB User

Mine started as two small spots under eyes.then it spread to whole face except nose was still light colored. i was told i had ezcema, roseaca, allergies, lupus. everything... had tests done.no allergies.no lupus..but my face would get an itchy rash or a flat burn that would not go away. for two years ! i was on predisone three times (ya feel great but gave me little blond hairs on jawline. i look like a cactus! lol),antibitoics, hydrocortisone, the works. primary doc and two dermys did not know what it was. i got humidfier, i got air filter, i got filters for my heat/ac unit, i tried topical medications. got rid of my lancome makeup, nothing...then.... i stopped washin my face with TAP water. and it is 90% better.only been a month.no rash, no itch. Pain in the fanny to use spring water but i use it with the dove or olay wash cloths. BUT if i brush teeth with tap water, it gets dry irritated look. hope you find the trigger for yours
Jill

Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
(female)

Elaine12 HB User

Thats really interesting. Over here in London we have particularly hard water. In other parts of the country the water tends to be alot softer. I have been considering buying some sort of water softner for a long time because if you have eczema a on your body if would be very hard to wash in spring water! Luckily for you the rash was confined to just your face. Anyway thanks for the information, i'll be doing some research into the best and most effective water softner/purifyer that can help eczema.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
(female)

smahleville HB User

I feel for all of you . I have had eczema my entire life but there was a period in my life where it just went away. About two years ago it returned and I now have it from the base of my neck to my toes. Horrible intense itching, redness, dry patches, cracking hands and all the other symptoms. Scared if Prednisone becuuse I have used it for so many years. I need relief for my skin and for my depression. I feel and look like a leper. I live in Ohio so we are in the middle of summer and I don't feel comfortable wearing shorts or sleeveless shirts. Hopefully my new dermatologist will help. I see him in 13 days and I am counting those days down. It has taken months to get into him.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #9
(female)

Elaine12 HB User

Hi Smahleville,
I do hope your appointment with the dermatologist helps. I really hope they come up with some form of 'soloution' to this eczema problem. I've had it since birth mainly on my limbs and lower torso. Make sure you let us all know how you get on.

Closed Thread