It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
(male)

Mark R HB User
Consumption of alcohol leads to peeling skin on palms.

I was not sure which section I would garner the most responses so I posted this in both the [B]Allergies[/B] section and the [B]Skin Problems[/B] section. If this is not acceptable board behavior, please let me know and I will delete a post accordingly.

I have an allergy to alcohol(ic beverages). I would be drinking one night then the next morning, I wake up to red, swollen, palms. They are sensitive to heat and is quite irritating when I apply any pressure - making a fist causes discomfort.

Again, my hands are quite red, uncomfortable, and very sensitive to heat:

the tiny bumps, swelling, and discomfort subside and the skin feels to have "toughened" up:

On day 7 and 8, I begin to see the initial stages of the skin cracking and peeling off. I apply moisturizing lotion throughout the day and overnight to help with the dryness:

To speed up the process, I usually soak my hands in hot water, take a rough stone and scrape or scrub away any of the peeling skin. The hot water usually promotes more skin to peel off as well.

I have already seen a doctor and their diagnosis was that I "am missing an enzyme which breaks down alcohol properly; this is somewhat typical among Asians". I asked the doctor if I am doing any harm to my body, but he assured me that this is the way my body handles alcohol and that nothing else is being affected. The obvious solution was to stop drinking, but, being only 19 at the time of this discovery was just not acceptable. I am now 28 and I'm afraid that I'll be living with this for the rest of my life.

From my understanding, an allergy causes histamine to be released by your body. Is the histamine appearing in my hands? I have tried an anti-histamine (Claritin, Reactine), they seemed to have helped a tiny bit, but feel that the dosage may be a little too low and am afraid to take any more than two pills that will mix with alcohol.

My main goal is to minimize the peeling skin and I feel that the key to preventing the skin from peeling is to prevent the swelling, redness, and bumps. I was suggested an over the counter hydra-cortisone, and I found this to be more effective than an anti-histamine, but, again, I feel that I need something stronger - is there something like this available?

I would appreciate any thoughts any of you may have.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-13-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
(male)

umich0113 HB User
Re: Consumption of alcohol leads to peeling skin on palms.

Hey I have the same condition, any advise on what it is?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
(male)

BalazarsBrain HB User

Mark,

I'm not sure about rubbing the skin off with the stone...I think it might be better to leave the skin alone and let it heal. Also, try to avoid getting them wet, and put lotion on them immediately after the shower.

Good news....I have cured my peeling hands/fingers/palms (I had it for 4 years) and I hope it works for you guys.

***Take omega 3 oil...any kind of omega 3 oil, any brand, any type! This is what I take 3 times a day: 1200 mg of fish oil and 1000 IU of D3 and a spoon of flax oil.

Other ideas: black currant seed oil, poke-seed oil, krill oil, or ANYTHING high in omega 3.

Hope this helps someone!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
(male)

John U HB User

I've had the exact same issue/symptoms for years.... did the Omega 3 suggestion help? Any updates on this? Any docs know what's going on?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
(male)

John U HB User

with a little more searching on the net, I found a certain web-encyclopedia article at a certain popular web-encyclopedia website describing this as Dyshidrosis . I suggest looking at it. Basically, doctors don't know what causes it... and there aren't any clear solutions.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
(male)

BalazarsBrain HB User

Mark,

Yes the Fish oil in combination with D3 helped a lot...although it's not 100% cured...it still comes back sometimes, but it is MUCH better than before, shorter in duration, smaller in area affected, etc.

I think both of those vitamins have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes sense because my skin problem was diagnosed as an auto-immune disease (basically my body over-reacting like an allergy).

There are a lot of auto-immune anti-inflammatory drugs such as Embrel (marketed by Pfizer). One of the diseases that Embrel treats specifically is plaque psoriasis (a skin disease in which red, scaly patches form on some areas of the body)...not sure if that's the same thing that we have?

Anyway, I haven't tried any prescription drugs...but I'm pretty happy with the results of the fish oil and D3.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
(male)

BalazarsBrain HB User

Thanks for the info...I'll look up the article on Dyshidrosis.

Not sure if you got my previous post. The Fish oil in combination with D3 worked for me about 90%...it still comes back a little, but not as bad as before.

The fish oil and vitamin D have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes sense because my skin condition was diagnosed as an auto-immune skin disease.

There are some prescription drugs I haven't tried like Embrel (marketed by Pfizer) which are anti-inflammatory auto-immune drugs. One of the diseases Embrel specifically treats is "plaque psoriasis (a skin disease in which red, scaly patches form on some areas of the body)"

I would definitely recommend the vitamin D and fish oil...at least it helped me a LOT, although not 100% cure...might take 1 or 2 weeks before you notice anything.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
(male)

BalazarsBrain HB User

Thanks for the article, yes this sounds a lot like what I have. I'm going to try some of the methods mentioned in the article.

Closed Thread