It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

Susanna0174 HB User
Question what worked for your eczema?

I would like to see if there is anyone who has any otc remedies that worked OR PRESCRIPTION MEDS AS WELL on their eczema. My problem is itching....it gets so bad and I give in and scratch like mad!! I know I shouldn't. I haven't really been consistent with the cream I got from my derm. It's Triamcinolone Acetonide cream 1%. And I also use Aveeno intense relief overnight cream. I'm going to give it a try again. I have a moderate case of eczema on my left foot. I got it last summer on the same foot and managed to clear it up without having to go to the derm. I've now had it for for a solid 4 months +!!!! ARGGHHHH!!! Anyone??

Last edited by Susanna0174; 04-24-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add stuff

Old 05-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

hsieg24 HB User
Re: what worked for your eczema?

I have severe eczema on my hand and it itches so bad it wakes me up at night. I have tried almost everything, creams, allergy testing and injections, antibiotics, herbal remedies. Some things make it seem better at first, then it goes back to how it was. I have had this problem for 20 years. It seems to have a mind of it's own, where it will heal up for a while, then show up again suddenly. I have tried to tie it to different things, like a certain food or product I use, but have come up with nothing. Going back to the derm tomorrow. Phototherapy might be a next possible treatment, or maybe she's got another steriod cream to try...we'll see.

In the meantime, I suggest trying good old petroleum jelly, sometimes that is the only thing that will soothe mine. Also, emu oil is known to be a home remedy that works well for some. Good luck.

Last edited by hsieg24; 05-12-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

Susanna0174 HB User

My derm put me on 5 days of Prednisone and flucoinide 5% cream. And it helped, but of course after the 5 days I stopped. And it looked like it was really starting to heal. Then the itching came back a couple days later and I couldn't help myself. ARGGGG!!! So, now it looks bad again. I am going to get allergy tested. I think it might be dairy or soy. It's driving me nuts! I also found out I am iron deficient and I think the itchy skin was an effect from it. I hope I can get it healed soon. It's so hot here in Vegas and seriously want to wear sandals and shorts. But, I'm wearing long pants so that you can't see my foot.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
(female)

MoreBread HB User

Go to http://eczema.net/ - this lady (Christina Nevada)helped me, you can call her and she will personally help you... I've had ezema for years, doctor after doctor and it never really helped... The steroid creams are terrible for you and they actually start prohibiting your body from producing it's own cortisone thus making your eczema worse in the long run... They thin your skin and elevate the problem, please do the research, don't keep putting this junk on your skin.

Last edited by MoreBread; 05-21-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

MoreBread HB User

Here's a tip that has really been making a huge difference for me....don't EVER let soap hit your legs, arms or any place you get eczema... Soap removes the natural oils and acid mantel on your skin causing it to dry out.. The only place you really need to wash with with soap is your groin area and arm pits....Water will suffice to wash the skin on other parts...Soak in a warm tub no longer than 10 mins then put mineral oil on your skin...it's completely inert and won't cause any reactions - it actually works as a shield or band-aid for your skin, keeping the moisture in and irritants off...Try it for awhile, I swear you'll see an improvement...Oh and if you shave your legs try using an electric shaver or shave with the mineral oil, even shaving creams will remove the natural acid mantle from your skin.

Last edited by MoreBread; 05-21-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
(male)

Coldblue HB User

Change your diet and eat more ALKALIZING foods compared to ACIDIFYING foods (except for fish). Limit the amount of dairy products you eat and try to stay away from processed garbage. Take Omega-3 supplements as well.

Here's a table: http:// [COLOR="Blue"]* link to commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator * [/COLOR]

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-23-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
(female)

KATC45 HB User

Hi,
Has anyone heard or read any information about taking Flaxseed to help with the eczema?
Any info would be appreciated..

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
(female)

hsieg24 HB User

Since my first post here I have found out that I have a lactose intolerance that makes my eczema flair up. I quit eating dairy and my skin looked completely normal! If nothing seems to help you, try cutting out foods (dairy, wheat, etc.) and see what works. It usually takes a couple of weeks to notice a big difference, but it's worth it when you find the right one.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Daily use of Cetaphil cream as an moisturiser after showering

Not using any soap in the shower (use Cetaphil clenser)

Apply Betnovate (betamethasone) cream to flare ups

Take Benadryl when the itching is bad, especialy at bedtime

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 03-25-2010 at 05:03 AM.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
(female)

ddianna25 HB User

Oh i also forgot to mention, DO NOT use soaps that are dry.
Use body washes with moisturizers and vitamins.

It really helps.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
(female)

U4EA777 HB User

I hope I am not to late to try andhelp you. I had eczema all my life. I had to live with it. It's very gross huh? I call myself a human snake. I break out all over and then have to go through a process. break out, skin bleeds and oozes clear stick liquid, scabbs up, and then peels like a snake. If you are like me. I can predict the rain. I break out all over right before it rains or during overcast it is even worse.

Four months is nothing. I am turning 50 April 3rd 2010. i had this since I was born.

My help for you is this. Doctors and medicine are bogus.

1) itchy weeping stage, Sarna lotion or Tea tree. BUT THE BEST IS THE OCEAN. DO NOT USE REGULAR TABLE SALT/ IF YOU CAN USE OCEAN/SEA WATER. I SWEAR BY IT. YOU WILL DRY UP OVER NIGHT AND IT WILL ALL FALL OFF IN ONE DAY. I AM NOT JOKING, THE NATURAL SEAWEED PLUS THE NATURAL SEA SALT IN THE OCEAN, AND THE SUN YOU LIE IN AT THE BEACH A MIRACLE. TY IT. I HOP YOU LIVE BY THE BEACH. IF NOT, GO TO THE HEALTHFOOD STORE AND BUY NATURAL SEA SALT AND SOAK IN IT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. DO NOT TAKE HOT SHOWERS, DO NOT RUB YOUR SKIN. I KNOW HOT SHOWERS FEEL GOOD ON ITCHY SKIN, BUT YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF LATER. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE HOW GOOD IT FEELS AND HOW MUCH I REGRET IT THE NEXT DAY.

2) Dry stage: Chapstick is great. I am allergic to vasoline.

3) Do noy peel your skin until it' sready, use Noxema to wash off the dead skin, do NOT rub it off or scrub it because it itches. Try something that stings it. Like diluted rubbing alcohol oreven Caladrill works great.

4) Here is something off the wall that works for me. I found that my allpling Elmers glue to weeping, itchy skin always stops crazy itchig skin. Peel it off and throw it away and you will see all the gross stuff that cam eout of your skin. Skin will feel soft a lomg time after this glue treatment. I know it sounds crazy. But you know after having this gross mess all my life, I would even try dog poop if I heard it would work LOL.

Luv Sandy

Last edited by moderator2; 03-31-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Closed Thread