It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

danimalover HB User
Unhappy Nothing works for extremely dry/sore/irritated scalp

I have always had a dry scap...for as long as I can remember. It was never too awful and I could control it somewhat with Head and Shoulders, Tea tree, and occasional oil treatments. However for the past 1-2 years it is out of control. Extremely dry and itchy, scabs over, redness from irritation, dry flakes and sometimes oily, usually large flakes but small as well. Most times it is centrally located on the top right side of my head; covering appx. 1/4 of my scalp. But right now it is the entire top of my head and a few small patches in back where my hair meets neck.

I have used everything from:
(shampoos)
Head & Shoulders
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner
T-Gel and Tar shampoos (with coal tar up to 3% and salicylic acid up to 3%)
Nizoral (ketoconaczole 1%) and the prescription strength ( ketoconaczole 2%)

(ointment/treatment)
Fluocinonide (Fluonex, Lidex, Lidex-E, Lonide, and Lyderm) - prescription glucocortocoid steriod
Tea tree oil
Psorisin gel
Scalpacin

I of course try not to overload on the treatments and usually just use 2 at a time for awhile before switching it up.

I've also tried not washing my hair as frequently and only rinsing with cool water. I've tried not using hair styling products. But nothing has worked! I am going back to the dermatologist in a month but she doesn't seem to think I have that bad of a case! If anyone knows of anything not mentioned above, or has any advice of what I can mention to the dermatologist that'd be much appreciated!

The worst part about it is that I am only 24 and I've lost SOOOOO much hair in the past 2 years it is gross. I want to treat whatever the issue is and hopefully the folicles are healthy enough for me to grow some of it back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
(female)

gr8fisch HB User
Re: Nothing works for extremely dry/sore/irritated scalp

Sounds like you might do some research on essential fatty acids. I've been helped a great deal by the Renew Life products & information. As for skincare, you might check out Garden of Wisdom as well.

Closed Thread