It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
(male)

BorkBork HB User
Wound healing problems

Hello,

I have a problem that has begun within the last year or so where whenever I have a wound that causes bleeding it doesn't heal properly like it used to. What happens is, the wound will heal, as far as clotting/scabbing process, but it's much slower than previously. When my body is done with that process, I am left with a brown discoloration where the scratch/wound was that doesn't go away. I'm at the point that I'm worried about getting injured because if this keeps up my skin will be covered with ugly discolorations wherever I have any wound that causes bleeding. This happens even on wounds that I would consider very minor. It's frustrating..

Even more frustrating, I went to my GP but she doesn't know what it could be that would cause that.

I'm 30 years old and have never had any problem like this before.

I'm thinking I should see a dermatologist, but not really sure. Maybe even they cannot help me.

Any ideas regarding what may be causing this to happen to me?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BorkBork

Last edited by BorkBork; 07-17-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Wound healing problems

There are numerous conditions that can have poor wound healing as a symptom. One of the more common ones is diabetes (have you had your blood glucose level and/or HbA1c checked?). Another is vitamin K deficiency (leafy green vegetables are common sources of vitamin K).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Your condition sounds very strange and indeed frustrating. Yes,you should go to a Dermatologist. I would expect doctor you see to do a series of blood work tests and ask you some pertinent questions to rule out different things . Be sure to tell the doctor about all the medications you might be on...even over the counter. Also if you go to a tanning salon or do a lot of sun bathing....perhaps swimming or hot tubbing in a chlorinated water. And lastly this might be heriditary...anyone in the family heal like that? An even better outcome to this would be if the dermatologist will know right off what it is! Let us know if you ever find out.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
(male)

BorkBork HB User

Thanks for both of your replies.

Yes I've had fasting blood glucose tests and a1c tests and they come back well within the normal ranges. I have been eating healthier the last couple of years. I try to eat fresh fruit and vegetables as often as possible and avoid processed foods. The ironic thing though is that before I altered my eating habits my skin had no healing problems. i.e. I rarely touched a fresh vegetable or piece of fresh fruit prior to 2 years ago and I healed perfectly.

I've been having a lot of blood work done over the past couple of years and everything they've tested for comes back normal. I'm not on any medications at this time, but I am taking several vitamins: Multivitamin, vitamin e, vitamin b complex, vitamin c.

I do not go to tanning salons but I do spend quite a lot of time outdoors, however, I have this problem on areas of skin that have received practically no direct sunlight in 5+ years. I also have not been swimming or hot tubbing in over 5+ years.

I have no known family history of anything like this.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
(female)

Erika HB User

As long as I can remember my cuts heal with a discolored mark, but they do eventually go away. It sometimes takes a couple of years for my marks to go away. I can remember my arms being covered with purple scratch marks from my cat when I was about 9years old. I don't think this is that uncommon.

Closed Thread