It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
(male)

gatote21 HB User
Damaged skin/sebaceous glands from benzoyl peroxide

I seriously damaged my skin by packing on and I mean PACKING ON benzoyl peroxide day and night from age 14 to 19 for acne. I havenít had to wash my face in years. I just gently rinse it once a day. Itís super dry, raw, sensitiveÖ you name it. It feels like a bad sunburn or atleast thatís the best way I can describe it. It doesnít feel good if Iím in the west where itís super dry or even in the east where itís really humid. I never can go to sleep comfortably, I feel like crap always, and wake up with headaches because of it. I usually feel cold internally (which is a thing I have read in blogs some people with bad eczema say too) which I assume might come from my skin not functioning properly. Itís not genetic because my parents and all my siblings are oily people and the problem is only on my face specifically where I used the benzoyl peroxide, not anywhere on my body. I honestly think I damaged or shrunk my sebaceous glands and I just get no sebum at all.

Topically, Iíve tried everything to fix it. Iíve used Vaseline, Aquaphor, Lubriderm, Curel, Jergens, Oil of Olay, Cerave, Burtís Bees products, Bath & Body products Ö (all those same over the counter products that have the same ingredients with maybe a slight variance) shea butter, cocoa butter, lard, beef tallow, lanolin, squalene oil, emu oil, mink oil, coconut oil, every kind of cooking oil you can think of, and any other product you can think of. Topical prescription creams that Iíve used include Atopiclair, Xclair, and P.O.L. cream. Honestly, I donít know why there are any non-steroidal moisturizing creams because they have the same ingredients as over the counter creams. Some of these products might work for you because they work for a lot of people. However, for those of you who like these products, your skin is probably not as bad as mine. I think for most people, these types of products work with their own sebum, but Iím not sure how much if any sebum is being made by my face. In my case, where the problem is damaged skin and sebaceous glands because of scrubbing, rubbing, washing, and applying harsh chemicals for many years, the typical topical applications that you can buy in stores just do not work. ANYTHING that I put on my face will burn, irritate, or end up making me sick feeling in a way I canít describe when I wake up the next morning. All products with petrolatum or mineral oil are just horrible. They irritate and also donít allow the skin to breathe.

Iíve also experimented with lots of supplements for skin and I think MSM, fish oil, borage oil, and coconut oil are the best but they still donít do much for me. Iíve read everything there is to read and tried everything there is to try. Iíve spent thousands of hours reading and thousands of dollars on supplements and topical products. Iíve seen multiple dermatologists and a plastic surgeon and none of them can help much more than what I can learn on the internet by myself Well thatís it I guess. I am writing this in hopes that someone who is in the same situation that I am or may know something that can help me will respond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread