It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
(male)

Kalten HB User
Quickly spreading rash, started on inner thigh, help!

Hey, was hoping somebody here may be able to help me.

This rash all started about a week ago on a very hot day when I was out walking around and sweating. My groin area began to itch and when I got home I noticed a sizeable rash on my inner right thigh. It looked like hives.

It quickly spread to my inner left thigh. From there, it went down my right leg, and the rash is also appearing around my armpits and lower abdomen. From the speed at which it is spreading, I am fairly certain it's not scabies which was my first guess.

The rash itself is rather red with clusters of white bumps that look like mosquito bites/hives. When I scratch it, it tends to bleed a lot.

For the past week I have been trying tinactin anti-fungal spray, hydrocortisone cream, calamine for the itching, benadryl for the itching, and also some various anti-itch lotions. Nothing is really helping and I wake up constantly throughout the night in misery, itching and scratching.

I can post pics if needed, just was wondering if anybody had any ideas. I made a doc appointment, but they aren't able to see me for 10 days. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User
Re: Quickly spreading rash, started on inner thigh, help!

Possibly heat rash, aka prickly heat.

If so, keep it cool and dry. I like using corn starch, rather than a body or baby powder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
(male)

Kalten HB User

[QUOTE=Choice;4062673]Possibly heat rash, aka prickly heat.

If so, keep it cool and dry. I like using corn starch, rather than a body or baby powder.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I looked up some pictures of heat rash online and it doesn't seem to be the same thing I have. Mine is more clusters of bites/hives, almost like an allergic reaction and it's completely covering my inner thighs and spreading quickly. I am so miserable, I don't know if I can wait another 9 days for my doctor appointment. Think I might go to the ER.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

you need prednisone

Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
(male)

Kalten HB User

[QUOTE=Flutterbye77;4063216]you need prednisone[/QUOTE]

Yeah I definitely need something prescription strength.

This is horrible. I just woke up again itching up a storm and took a long, cool shower. When I'm awake I can make an effort not to scratch, but I must be scratching in my sleep cause I wake up constantly and find myself scratching. My entire arms, torso, and legs are covered in a big rash. It spread so fast. I have no idea what it is.

I'm starting to lean towards poison ivy or an allergic reaction to something. I can't last another week in this itching misery before my doc appt. I'm going to have so many scars from scratching. I may just go to the ER and see if I can get a shot, Rx, anything to help. Besides the rash and itching, I don't really have any other symptoms so it's hard to tell... well, going to lay down with my A/C on high and try to sleep.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
(male)

Kalten HB User

Okay, so I woke up today and couldn't take it anymore. The rash was itching so bad and it was bleeding from me scratching it. So I went to the ER.

Doc said he didn't know what it is, he said his best guess was really bad poison ivy or an allergic reaction. They prescribed me some prednisone and hydroxyzine. So, I guess I'll just have to wait until my real doc appointment in a week and hope these meds helps the rash and itch fade away.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
(male)

Kalten HB User

If anybody is still reading this thread, the rash itself seems to be going away SLOWLY but the itching is still there. It's just leaving behind scabs and patches of dry skin. I have been driven crazy by this rash for weeks, thank god it has not spread to my chest, back, or face. It seems to be contained on the arms/legs/groin area. Doctors don't know what it is. I am at my wit's end.

Last edited by Kalten; 09-10-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
(female)

katiep8537 HB User

i have the same thing...clinic doc treated me for scabies...i knew it wasnt that but got so freaked out did the treatment, none of my kids or hubby got it...took prednisone which helped somewhat...that was in august, its september now and it is not on my body anymore but still get flare ups ( for lack of a better term) on my fingers and wrists...possibly stress related??? going back to a different doc , maybe a dermatologist. Did u get any relief?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
(male)

Kalten HB User

[QUOTE=katiep8537;4077449]i have the same thing...clinic doc treated me for scabies...i knew it wasnt that but got so freaked out did the treatment, none of my kids or hubby got it...took prednisone which helped somewhat...that was in august, its september now and it is not on my body anymore but still get flare ups ( for lack of a better term) on my fingers and wrists...possibly stress related??? going back to a different doc , maybe a dermatologist. Did u get any relief?[/QUOTE]

No relief. The doctor gave me prednisone too. While I was taking it, the rash seemed to go away for the most part, but now that I've ran out of prednisone, it is coming back.

It is mainly on my arms, legs, and groin. It doesn't really seem to be affecting any other parts of my body. I thought it might be scabies too, but that is highly contagious and my roommate has no symptoms. Also, I heard scabies affects the area between the fingers and genitals, but my hands/fingers and genitals are fine.

The doctor told me straight out he had no idea what it was. He said it was probably an allergic reaction. While I'm not 100% sure it's a reaction to anything, I'm just hoping it's something viral that will work itself out of my body within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I'm just using calamine lotion and taking benadryl. It's not completely unbearable, but when I wake up the middle of the night scratching up a storm, it's horrible.

I will keep this thread updated if I find anything else out. I might try to make an app't with a different doctor and see if anything can be done.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
(male)

cerhob HB User

Over the summer, I had the same kind of rash.

For me it started out as a few bumps but then just quickly changed.

Doc told me it was something I ate. I took Zyrtec OTC and Benadryl at night to help me sleep.

This weekend, I noticed the same little bumps again on my leg. I hope it's not another flare up.

While the rash went away, the area was still itchy, and very smooth, once the dry skin went away. I've been free of it for about three weeks. Would still itch from time to time.

Last edited by cerhob; 09-14-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
(female)

angrad HB User

[QUOTE=Kalten;4064292]Okay, so I woke up today and couldn't take it anymore. The rash was itching so bad and it was bleeding from me scratching it. So I went to the ER.

Doc said he didn't know what it is, he said his best guess was really bad poison ivy or an allergic reaction. They prescribed me some prednisone and hydroxyzine. So, I guess I'll just have to wait until my real doc appointment in a week and hope these meds helps the rash and itch fade away.[/QUOTE]
U have scabies trust me goin thru it as i send this 2 u need 2 get this from ur doc eurax cream b 4 it gets worse do it now follow directions it is horrible my husband got then me my husband bad all over his body call doc said we cant stand it any more he give us this med and feel way better and u will notice them mites on ur skin and where they r gross. get cream throw beddin in wash hot water just in shower dry good spread from neck down 2 bottom of ur feet nails and all no kiddin vacum floors any clothes u wore. just read directions. i am goin nuts just talkin about it good luck. ps we dont no where we got it but my husband first sign was in july it hit me 3 weeks ago we were at the river doc thought sand fleas bites he found pics on internet and called doc. let me no and dont wait

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
(female)

angrad HB User

u hav 2 treat everyone no matter what they might infect u again do all at same time it takes 2 2 3 weeks after u get infected they may not hav it but will get them ur hubby 4 sure my hub got them in july doc thought sand fleas now i got 3 weeks ago looked on internet i could not stand the itch now we all r doin my kids 2 sucks big time alot of work wash beddin and all clothes in hot water vaccum all floors. the only good thing right now 4 me i had surgery cant walk so my hubby has 2 do it all. gettin him back 4 all the lice **** my daughter had when she was a kid lol now he knows what i had 2 do many yrs ago. dont wait do all of u i been on computer 4 3 days i can tell u anything about this nasty mite not much sleep 4 3 days good luck follow direction and pls do it b 4 it gets worst. believe my husband got it in the groin area mites like the warm there on men. u cant c them at all.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
(female)

angrad HB User

u need 2 treat all at the same time i am surprise ur doc did not tell u that do it now or it will get worst this has cost my family lots of money laundry soaps meds and lots of work i post 2 u but it went on other post 4 another person read all and i told somethings in there 4 u 2 c. goin throu now as i send u this cream on body and all, hubby cleanin kids treatin 2. pls do

Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
(male)

Kalten HB User

Hey Angrad,

I actually suspected scabies at first, but the doc didn't think it looked like a scabies rash. Plus it spread too fast for scabies and I don't have the "burrow" marks or the rash between the fingers. Additionaly, my roommate has no symptoms, and if was scabies she would definitely be infected by now. I think it is an allergy or maybe something internally causing this rash but I have no idea what.

I am going to wait another couple weeks and then go see another doc for another opinion if it still persists. It seems to be going away slowly but I still itch a lot. Thanks for your post.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
(female)

angrad HB User

[QUOTE=Kalten;4082676]Hey Angrad,

I actually suspected scabies at first, but the doc didn't think it looked like a scabies rash. Plus it spread too fast for scabies and I don't have the "burrow" marks or the rash between the fingers. Additionaly, my roommate has no symptoms, and if was scabies she would definitely be infected by now. I think it is an allergy or maybe something internally causing this rash but I have no idea what.

I am going to wait another couple weeks and then go see another doc for another opinion if it still persists. It seems to be going away slowly but I still itch a lot. Thanks for your post. [/QUOTE]hey kalten go 2 a derm doc they know on site. my hubby itch on feet ankles little red dots he goes in doc say it is sandfleas where r they? seaweed we were at the river and seaweed bad had 2 walk right thru 2 get 2 boat this is where we thought he got sandfleas well me nothin no itch or anything. this is july now, well 3 weeks ago i start itchin we share bed of course and everything else in bed close contact we looked up sandfleas 2 so i thought how r they still here we wash everything again my ankles feet itch all the while my hubby more and more all over now legs everywhere even penis. in the mean time i hav surgery on leg cant go any where bed bathroom couch only in bed most. i start itchin more and looks like hives think laundry soap change. well my hubb comes in room and says i think i hav herpes i freak blame game begins well i say go 2 doc now i spent lots of days on herp site he had no signs no blister but we still fight and think the worst doc appt me cryin i hav nothin down there he had 4 five days now we cant hav sex cause of my surgery so i not think why he not com by me that way well he thought worse thing. doc looks and looks and takes scape of one down there comes back and says i am 99.9 that is not herps so i feel alot better but still felt scared. also did blood test 4 herps then i tell doc i am itchin bad and got what he cam 2 u b 4 on ankles and feet. hubby now has all rash legs groin most on belly 2 feet he looked at them 2 and look at mine. after hubb tell me he might hav herp i itch so bad but held back cause u can spread herps all over. doc says i dont know what that rash is and sends us on r way. we go hom. me i cant help now i am itchin and itchin welts com on. so i get up in the morin and go on internet put itchin skin up pops 5 things i look at them and i push scabies i never herd of this i am in my 40 so i look at pic and all of them so just what we hav it like the groin area of men warm there it showed a pic of them on penis look just like my hub wow i freaked out so i look up ever thing on scabies and i mean everthing no sleep at all so i call on call derm she say i can get u in on mon wth go 2 er if u cant wait 100 i dont hav i call on call doc at my clinic tell him alittle bit of what i just told u and he said if it was herps u would no very painful and blisters hub none so i tell him what i been doin looked all up seen pic look just like hubs skin blah blah he say i call this in 4 u and the fam all hav 2 b treated even if no signs why? 2 2 3 weeks b 4 u no that is with close contact my kids always gone but we sit on same couches etc it doc say if u hav u will no after u put lotion on well wow 1 hr my hub penis clearin up 2 day all is gone on head but he has the burrows on nut sacks they r gettin smaller and smaller u will get all signs after lotion me bumps come out where they r and peelin of skin omg 2 day is r 2nd dose of meds and findly 2 nites of good sleep i am callin doc in 15 min i think me and hub will need the pills 2 causes he has spots of crusted ones so they been on him 4 a long time. u can get theses anywhere. well now u know what happen with me. it wont hurt 2 get this med and treat u and roomie u will no right away but u hav 2 follow the dir and washin and everything just try causes theses things r gross and r in ur skin sometimes doc dont no till u go in and they r real bad so u get treated 4 lots of wrong things. well let me no what u decide and if u try keep me posted i looked up everything u can think of about theses. they lay eggs 3 days hatch then they r loose so it takes time 2 start itchin all over by then u will no and doc so the earler the better. doc say if that dont work go c doc well i can tell u that is what we hav and feel alot better thay go in warm places underarmes around waist line where tight clothes r and sweat i hav them there they pop out after med and that is where i itch but i try not 2 so u will no when u put on where they r in ur body. i call doc now keep me posted and good luck this sucks cost money 2 and ur mind thinkin theses nasty things in ur body but remember does not mean u r dirty cause we r not my hub chef 4 yrs and a freak on clean everywhere.

Closed Thread