It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

redball HB User
So I'm a big idiot, and I need help (eczema)

I have eczema, and for years I have been using a cream called Alclometasone. I never read any of the precautions because I figured creams can't do anything bad. Long story short, I applied this cream in MASS amounts for a long time. I decided to read about the cream one day, and was shocked to find out that it was a steroid that has side effects if you use too much. I have experienced many of those side effects (nothing life threatening).

I want off steroid creams because I have clearly used too much of it for years. I wanted to try a non steroid cream like Elidel. Then I read it was linked to CANCER and they put that on the warning label. So I am completely out of options on how to get rid of my eczema. I've tried allergy medications, and they don't work. I've tried over the counter products like Aveeno, Eucerin amongst others too. They get rid of the dryness, but they do nothing to heal the red patches which is my main problem.

Now I am slowly weening myself off the steroid cream bu using it sparingly. It seems like since I haven't used it as much, my eczema has come back full force. There is no getting rid of it. I need something that gets RID of eczema. Not something that just smooths it out, and leaves the redness still there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

maglib HB User
Re: So I'm a big idiot, and I need help (eczema)

try aloe which is known to be a major source for centuries in healing. Buy the plant and you squeeze the juice from the leaf. Plant is easy to grow and great for an antibiotic and burns. It wont' hurt and is an excellent moisturizer.....

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
(male)

willy856 HB User

There is nothing that works for eczema. The pharmaceutical companies make to much money to allow anything that actually works. Modern medicine can do heart valve transplants through a hole, but curing a rash is far out of their comprehension.
You cannot use steroids, you must deal with the red skin. Moisturize at least three times a day. Natural moisturizers work best, but you might want to use it on a small area at first. Aloe works great for some but causes problems for others.
I wouldn't worry about the threat of cancer. The amount the patients used was far greater then you will ever use. They took the medicine internally and used large amounts of it. I would still ovoid it if possible, but you need to live your life!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
(female)

thinkingthin HB User

Sounds like you have not even considered natural medicine. Try consulting with a naturopathic doctor or an herbalist. Or to start, just walk in to your local health food store and start asking questions. A great book to read is "Never Be Sick Again." The author's name escapes me.

For eczema I have heard that "bentonite clay" works very well.

Also look into "neem oil". It comes as a pure oil and in many skin products like lotion, cream, soap, shampoo, etc. I use it all the time and it is AMAZING for all of my skin problems...any kind of dry skin (my elbows used to be sandpaper) rash or itch or bug bite. I have heard it works very well on eczema as well.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

From what I have read, steriod applied to skin can cause problems too. I used them for about a year or two. My b/p started going up. So I got off of them.

I've found trying to prevent the triggers. Vaseline is my mainstay. I wet my hands whenever possible & gease them up & put cotton gloves on. Fam

V

Reply Reply