It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Pls Help - cyst on my back and very painful :(

Hi there. I thought I had a painful pimple on my back so I squeezed it - very little pus came out, but then the next day it was huge and hard under the skin and now 2 days later it is VERY VERY painful. I know it has turned into a cyst.

I've read numerous googles on applying heat about 4 times a day for 20 min. until I can get to a dermatologist on Monday and am thinking they'll shoot it with corticosteroids??

Luckily I have some pain killers, but OMG does it hurt. It's very red, swollen and hard under the skin now with no signs of coming to a head or whatever.

Any suggestions? It's Saturday so I have 2 more days. I don't want to do anything wrong and don't feel urgent care would do much good at this point so I don't want to waste my money or time or have them turn it into something much worse.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Laurie

Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: Pls Help - cyst on my back and very painful :(

Update: Went to urgent care and they gave me levaquin (antibiotic) for 7 days and some pain killers. They told me to either take alot of baths to soak it or wet wash cloth w/ heating pad to get it to eventually drain on its own or go away.

I will go on Monday to a surgeon vs. a dermatologist so I don't have a scar this time. Last dermatologist - stitches fell out so go figure. I can't believe who they give a license to these days. Make sure you do your homework people or you'll have a nice scar like mine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: Pls Help - cyst on my back and very painful :(

UPDATE: Wow - went bk to urgent care again today to get a different antibiotic because the Levaquin was killing my legs all night and also gave me a great case of insomnia. I think I finally closed my eyes at 6am. Went to bed at 2am mind you.

So then I'm prescribed Clindamycin 300mg (levaquin was 750mg) and she gave me a shot of Rocethin (very strong antibiotic normally used for bad sinus/strep infections and/or pneumonia, etc.) and my internal alarms went off where I remembered reading a few journals where it said antibiotics were pointless or not needed in sebaceous cyst cases. So I came home and researched the antibiotic, which seemed much safer or less side effects vs. the Levaquin, but I still didn't fill it and so glad I didn't.

I call an emergency dermatologist referred by a friend and he tells me that she (dr at urgent care) should have never given me ANY antibiotics that the cyst was just ruptured not per se infected and just needs to be drained. Too many dr's are quick to prescribe antibiotics when it's really not needed, which is not good because you can become immune to them so when you really need them to work - you may be outta luck.

So he told me to continue w/ the hot compresses/baths, etc. and hopefully it will begin to drain at some point to give me some relief. He said don't take pain killers if you don't have to and also get it lanced tomorrow if I can find a dermatologist or surgeon open - since it's a holiday. He said chances are I may not get all of the stuff out if it starts to drain on its own, but if I were able to then I may be ok.

SOoooooooooooooooo glad I trusted myself and thank goodness for everyone on the internet (including yourself) that posts out here and elsewhere. I read somewhere that I shouldn't be taking antibiotics for the cyst and sure enough - they were right. Not the urgent care dr. GO FIGURE! Remember to listen to yourself!

Have a great day

Closed Thread