It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

Scottishthistle HB User
Red lumps on leg and muscular pain?

Around 5/6 days ago, I noticed a red lump appear on my right calf - it almost looked like a pimple. I didn't think much of it, until a day later another appeared, and my leg began to get very sore and stiff. It also felt as though my lower leg (knee down) was all completely bruised, although there was no sign of bruising. A day or two later, anther one of these marks appeared on my other leg, followed by the same symptoms.

The marks on my leg are all rather small, around 5-6mm in diameter, although I have noticed tonight that the red areas around them is starting to expand very slowly. They're not too sore too touch, although they do have the bruised feeling as explained above. My whole legs are also incredibly itchy, and have a burning sensation on and off.

I've thought through any possibly causes - insect bites seem unlikely as my legs haven't really been uncovered at all - and the small number of bites and the time delay between them coming up seems unlikely.
An allergic reaction also seems unlikely - I've not had any new foods and not used new washing powder etc within the last new months.

I plan on going to the doctors next week, but would be grateful on any advice you may have.

I'm 19 and female.

Thanks,
katie

Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
(female)

jrc1982 HB User
Re: Red lumps on leg and muscular pain?

This sounds like something I've been dealing with for almost a year now. I would suggest you go to the doctor sooner rather than later because if it is what I have, it's not something to wait to get treated. I did wait and one morning i woke up and my entire left leg from the knee down and both of my feet were red and swollen. The bumps had gotten bigger, anywhere from marble sized to kiwi sized. My left leg was so painful that I couldn't even touch my toes on the floor, so walking was definately not going to happen. To make a long story short, the bumps ulcerated and drained nasty smelling yellow/green fluid and I was admitted to the hospital for 3 week on I.V pain killers, steroids and antibiotics. The doctors still haven't given me an official diagnosis. Some of the ones they mentioned are Pyoderma Gangrenosum, Eyrothema Nudosum and Cellulitis. None of which are any fun to have. This all started about a month ago and my left leg and foot are still swollen and very painful, and the ulcers haven't healed yet. I am still on heavy duty pain medication just so that I can function on a day to dy basis. I'm only 27 years old and I have to use a walker to get around and a nurse comes to my house 3 days a week to keep an eye on everything hopeing it doesn't get any worse or I'll be back in the hospital. So, I would strongly suggest you see your doctor as soon as you can........trust me, you don't want it to get any worse than it already is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
(female)

Scottishthistle HB User
Re: Red lumps on leg and muscular pain?

Thanks for your reply.

Last night and this morning, the lumps on my leg started turning a blue/purple colour.

I went to the Doctor's this morning, and explained my symptoms, she, too, mentioned a few possible causes including Erythema Nodosum, but decided that the itchiness and lack of a fever meant it was unlikely. However, decided to give me a steroid cream and treat as an insect bite? Still not entirely convinced. In Scotland we don't get many bugs that can bite - and I've never encountered a reaction like this to any bite before.

Since I've got home today, however, I've looked up EN, and almost completely convinced this is the problem with my legs. In the last few hours, they've started changing colour again, this time yellowy - looking a bit like big bruises. The itching is slowly dying down, but being replaced by even worse pains over my legs. I also have a feeling my right ankle is swelling up slightly - seem to be getting a ring around my ankle where my socks have been, which I don't normally get!

Don't particularly want to go straight back to the Doctor disputing her diagnosis. So, does anybody know if it is common to get EN without other "feverish" symptoms? The only problem I've had is a sore throat, but from an early age I've had chronic throat infections, which, over time I've got used to, thus, rarely need medication, in fact, sometimes I don't even notice it! So this is nothing new to be. I'm not sure if it's related though?

Closed Thread