It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

keystone1188 HB User
Is my dermatologist not doing his job?

Hi everyone,

I had a cyst of some sort on my upper leg for years. Recently it burst and turned into what I'm guessing is some sort of abscess. It's round, red, and about the size of a dime. It's just exposed flesh. It also hurts quite badly and interferes in my daily life. I can't wear pants or sleep on my belly because of it.

I've seen my dermatologist numerous times. He says he doesn't know what it is and keeps prescribing me antibiotics. I'm on my third round (it's been a month and a half since my first appointment) and although my sore is smaller (although not by much), it still won't heal and hurts all the time.

I finally convinced my derm to do a punch biopsy, which made the pain worse and turned my sore black. My derm keeps saying not to worry and that the antibiotics will eventually fix me. He also won't prescribe me painkillers and says if I take OTC ones, like Tylenol, I'll keep the wound from healing.

Does this sound normal? Should I get a second opinion? Does anyone have any guesses as to why my leg won't heal or why it hurts so much? For reference, I'm young, female, and completely healthy otherwise.

Thank you for reading.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Re: Is my dermatologist not doing his job?

I guess it is hard to know whether a doctor is doing his or her job or not. But I will say that derms have one of THE worst bedside manners EVER!!! I starting getting derm advice from my regular doctor. Maybe you should make an appt. with your general doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

keystone1188 HB User
Re: Is my dermatologist not doing his job?

My regular doctor had to refer me to the dermatologist because she didn't know what the problem was. Thanks for your reply.

Closed Thread