It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User
HUGE underarm bumps!

For over 10 years I've been getting these reocurring HUGE underarm bumps. Everytime I get them I take antibiotic and they go away! One time I had to get it sliced and lanced. They are extremely painful. I also used to get these on my tailbone (had surgery) and occasionally in my groin still. Anyway my doc said they are from the sweat glands getting infected. So finally this past October I had the sweat glands removed under that arm and then all of a sudden last week I've had the biggest lump ever under that armpit! So obviously it wasn't the sweat gland. I went to my doc and she said it's from shaving and to stop shaving! Another person said it might be from deodorant. Does anyone else have this problem? I switched over to deodorant and Ill see how that goes. I might also look into laser hair removal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

dgullifordone HB User
Re: HUGE underarm bumps!

[QUOTE=regime;4242699]For over 10 years I've been getting these reocurring HUGE underarm bumps. Everytime I get them I take antibiotic and they go away! One time I had to get it sliced and lanced. They are extremely painful. I also used to get these on my tailbone (had surgery) and occasionally in my groin still. Anyway my doc said they are from the sweat glands getting infected. So finally this past October I had the sweat glands removed under that arm and then all of a sudden last week I've had the biggest lump ever under that armpit! So obviously it wasn't the sweat gland. I went to my doc and she said it's from shaving and to stop shaving! Another person said it might be from deodorant. Does anyone else have this problem? I switched over to deodorant and Ill see how that goes. I might also look into laser hair removal.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

dgullifordone HB User

i get those too its from shaving..it ingrown hairs most of the time even if u cant see them they are in there..my mom told me when i was young to only shave in one direction and ofcourse i didnt..its from going back and forth w razor i believe and then of course sweating under there u get clogged pores, i try only shaving one way for days at a time even though it doesnt get all of the hair and exfoliating under arms before i shave to get all dead skin, i also dont put deoderant on when i go to bed to give arms a break...hope it helps, not sure, but i use tweezers to open bumps and get the hair under the skin out and it goes away...

Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Try washing under the arms with an antibacterial clenser (eg Hibiclens) in the shower every day to kill off the bacteria that cause the infection - lather it up, leave it on for 30 seconds, then rinse

The trauma of shaving can be a cause - could you stop shaving and use Nair or somthing?

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-05-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
(female)

jessme HB User

Ive had them before try rubbing alcohol apply several times a day. This seems to help me after a few days.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
(female)

jbabbit HB User

[QUOTE=jessme;4279534]Ive had them before try rubbing alcohol apply several times a day. This seems to help me after a few days.[/QUOTE]

I had the hardest time for years with this. Doc told me to buy cheapest spray deodorant in baby powder formula and it would stop. He was right. Haven't had trouble since!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
(female)

kriss79 HB User

If you (and your partner) can stand it, try going "au naturel" for a couple weeks and stop shaving. See if it clears up and feels better.

Closed Thread