It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User
Tinea Versicolor treatments?

My son has had a problem with Tinea Versicolor for many years. He has taken prescription anti-fungals and OTC shampoo (T-Gel, Selsum Blue and others) used as a body wash, all recommended by his physician. It will go away for a month or two then come right back. He is at an age (20) that he is becoming very self-conscious about it.

Does anyone know of a treatment that will work? He does not have health insurance at this time, as he is too old to be put on mine. So anything he could try without having to see a doctor and spend tons of cash?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Angela

Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User
Re: Tinea Versicolor treatments?

I had the same problem. First you have to make sure that you wash everything that he is in contact with. Mine came from my boyfriend who wont stay on the same treatment or something... but he cant seem to get rid of it. But it could be in his mattress etc. Mine was pretty much limited to the upper body as most cases are. I now wear a t-shirt to bed always, and use the selson blue as a bodywash once a week just to keep it at bay. Seems to work.
The first three treatments though, you leave the selson blue on your whole upper body for 10 minutes before rinsing... then use selson once a week as a body wash.

Last edited by nailchick2000; 06-05-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Non prescription treatment:

Apply antifungal cream (Daktarin, Miconazole) each day for a fortnight. After this, once a week, lather up the area with head and shoulders shampoo, leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse off..Do this regularly every week to keep it away.

If this doesnt work, there is a prescription treatment called FLuconazole.

Take a 100mg fluconazole capsule each day for a week, then take one capsule once each week on a long term basis. This isnt expensive, Costco pharmacies will sell 30 capsules for $15, so a years treatment would be about $30. This is also more convenient than messing around with creams and shampoos, so he is more likely to stick to it long term. A prescription is needed, so it would need to be discussed with your doctor.

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-06-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User

Thank you both for the replies. I will definitely be trying everything suggested.

Where can we find the Miconazole or Daktarin? Would it be in the OTC section of the pharmacy?

Of course if that doesn't work I suppose we'll have to pay for a Dr visit to get the prescription mentioned.

Thanks again

Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Yes, Daktarin should be in the pharmacy where they keep the athletes foot products.

The main think is to keep up the shampooing every week, to keep the tinea at bay, and leaving it on the skin for long enough to do its job.

In the long run, when he can afford it he may prefer the pills - swallowing a capsule once a week is less hastle. After six months or so, they may even have totaly cured him.

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-07-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Closed Thread