It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
(male)

Wookiegonewild HB User
2 weeks after surgery temp. cast removed and skin around incision is black.

Hello. 2 weeks ago I under went surgery on my right heel/ankle to repair a tear on my achilles at the heel and to remove a bone spur on the same heel. I went today to have the temp. cast removed and have "hard" cast put on for another 4 weeks. I have a rather large incision and along the entire incision the skin is deep black. There is one spot on the heel that is about 1cm in diameter that is black and now appears to be "weeping" blood very slowly. The Dr says this is from a few different things. Number one the trauma of the surgery, the pressure that was being put on the area from the cast, and little to now air being allowed to the area. The Dr had the nurse put a "window" in the cast around this area and told me to keep an eye on it, clean it twice a day and put Neosporin on it after cleaning. He said it is not infected but I am a little scared. I am not a Dr but I smart enough to know that the skin simply looks necrotic. I am most likely going to call him again next week to talk more about it but I wanted to get some outside advice see if anyone thinks I should seek a second opinion. I trust this Dr for the most part but I am concerned that it could turn into something more serious if he does not take action. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks for reading.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: 2 weeks after surgery temp. cast removed and skin around incision is black.

Can i suggest you look at zinc and vitamin c supplements to speed your healing, do what the doctor says with clensing and Neosporin, and go straight back to the doctor if things get any worse (ie the blackend area seems to grow)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: 2 weeks after surgery temp. cast removed and skin around incision is black.

Unfortunately, it sounds like a pressure ulcer probably from the weight of your leg and cast and immobility.

You need to keep weight off of the area. You will have to place pillows under your leg to elevate the heel off the bed when you are lying down or sitting with legs elevated. The pillows need to lay flat not bunched up or folded.

Ask the doctor if you should try a hydrocolloid patch to the wound which can be changed every 3 days. It should help in softening the dead tissue and absorb drainage.

Closed Thread